Page 53 of 76 FirstFirst ... 34349505152535455565763 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by G. Boney View Post
    Can't wrap my mind around it.
    Well that much is obvious You mean to tell me you can't pick up the fun tone in the post?
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    Well that much is obvious You mean to tell me you can't pick up the fun tone in the post?
    It's tough to discern tone in written text between two different attitudes that can employ such similar language (e.g. affectionate sarcasm v. disparaging snark). My apologies if I misinterpreted yours.

Question on the 33rd Century's technology: Has anything in S3 so far referenced a deceleration in technological advancement? Sure, the 900-years-later Starfleet has some nifty toys that 23rd Century Starfleet did not, and some of the episodes have gone out of their way to have the cast show us how wowed they are by it. Still, you'd think nearly a millennium would take them further than what we've seen.

Denizens of the Earth year 1020 CE, for comparison, would look on most of us as practicing warlocks. That's before considering that technologies advance at accelerating rates.

The one thing that would make sense to me is a post-Burn societal stagnation that, if it didn't completely stop or reverse science and technology, slowed it to a crawl. If that's been explicitly addressed, I wasn't paying enough attention.

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    The one thing that would make sense to me is a post-Burn societal stagnation that, if it didn't completely stop or reverse science and technology, slowed it to a crawl. If that's been explicitly addressed, I wasn't paying enough attention.
    Yeah but the burn was only 120 or so years ago, so their tech should still be more advanced than it is. I think we're just gonna have to chalk it up to budget and imagination constraints. They still want to keep the show recognizably Trek. People complain enough about the diversity, the lack of exploration, the cursing, etc. on this show. Just imagine if it was even less familiar regarding expected trek tech.
    HEY KIDS, (BUY MY) COMICS!! https://www.mythworldemedia.com/store

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by G. Boney View Post
    Yeah but the burn was only 120 or so years ago, so their tech should still be more advanced than it is. I think we're just gonna have to chalk it up to budget and imagination constraints. They still want to keep the show recognizably Trek. People complain enough about the diversity, the lack of exploration, the cursing, etc. on this show. Just imagine if it was even less familiar regarding expected trek tech.
    Especially considering this is further ahead than even Daniel's time from enterprise and we saw all the crazy stuff he had as well as tech temporal cold war factions had even when they had more primitive time tech than him. In all honesty this seems to far ahead for traditional warp drive to even be a concern. Wasn't this supposed to be way past the point tech had reached the level where Spock could jury rig stuff in the abrams timeline to allow transporters to send people light years away?

BANNED

I am struggling extremely hard to watch season 3, this is the weakest season so far. Season 1 and 2 were passable but now you realise this was because the show relied greatly of what we were familiar with.

Jumping 930 years into the future has not turned out to be the best of ideas, season 3 does not seem to have any real tangible story, just constant references to the Burn and Dilithum

Also has anyone noticed how cheap season 3 looks? Netflix/CBS must be loosing their funding for Star Trek Discovery.

Incredible Member

Still, you'd think nearly a millennium would take them further than what we've seen.
    Humanity is still the limiting factor. You can't make computers or other tech faster than humans can work with. There might have been more cybernetic enhancements or people in tubes while robot avatars do the work, but that's big budget.
    Sounds perfect.

Astonishing Member

Humanity is still the limiting factor. You can't make computers or other tech faster than humans can work with. There might have been more cybernetic enhancements or people in tubes while robot avatars do the work, but that's big budget.
    I would still think like superficial things like design would look a lot different too though.

That said, we actually still haven't been exposed to a lot of the universe yet.

So was that guy in the snow a Q or what?
    Nice nod to the Kelvin timeline.
    Do we really need two episodes of the mirror universe, when the ship trapped in the nebula and the Emerald chain storylines sounds much better.
    Episode rating 7/10.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowras View Post
    Do we really need two episodes of the mirror universe, when the ship trapped in the nebula and the Emerald chain storylines sounds much better.
    Episode rating 7/10.
    The guy was The Guardian Of Forever, he didn't strike me as a Q so much as a Dr.Who ripoff.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowras View Post
    Episode rating 7/10.
    The guy was The Guardian Of Forever, he didn't strike me as a Q so much as a Dr.Who ripoff.
    I couldn't decide that either. The Character didn't seem to be delighting in, or even curious about watching PG twist as is so typical of the Q.

Incredible Member

The Guardian first appeared in 1967 and Dr Who started in 1963, so there may have been influence.
    Sounds perfect.

MXAAGVNIEETRO IS RIGHT MyriVerse's Avatar

Question on the 33rd Century's technology: Has anything in S3 so far referenced a deceleration in technological advancement? Sure, the 900-years-later Starfleet has some nifty toys that 23rd Century Starfleet did not, and some of the episodes have gone out of their way to have the cast show us how wowed they are by it. Still, you'd think nearly a millennium would take them further than what we've seen.
    Eh. Even most of the more advanced aliens in Trek aren't that far advanced by human standards. Some that are now peers were 1000+ years ahead of us at one time.

The Burn would have seriously put major dents into tech, likely even to the point where technology level would reverse because the current level couldn't be maintained without the dilithium.
    Last edited by MyriVerse; 12-21-2020 at 03:14 PM.
    f/k/a The Black Guardian
    COEXIST | NOEXIST
    ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelSage
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    The Guardian first appeared in 1967 and Dr Who started in 1963, so there may have been influence.
    The Guardian was just an Sentient Archway in TOS the human Avatar is a Disco thing.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    The Guardian was just an Sentient Archway in TOS the human Avatar is a Disco thing.
    Yes. And??
    Sounds perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    Yes. And??
    The Doctor is a Time Traveling human looking alien not an archway so TOS didn't do anything that really resembles Dr. Who outside of the concept of Time Travel which Dr. Who didn't create any similarities comes from the Disco Version.

& Mentioning that Dr. Who was created 1963 and The Guardian of Forever in 1967 kind of implies TOS were coping Who which it wasn't, I'm not saying Disco did either but it's clear TOS was definitely not though.