Page 6 of 73 FirstFirst ... 23456789101656 ... LastLast
    BANNED

I can't believe CBS is trying to get away with another paid service. Those fuckers own Showtime.

Anyways, I was interested when this sounded like it was a Bryan Fuller Star Trek show that would be on CBS. Became a little less interesting when I found out it was going to be behind the paywall of CBS's new streaming service. Basically last all interest when Fuller left. Nothing I've seen since then has really risen my interest since he left, but then I only really cared in the first place because he was the one behind it.

I'm glad it sounds like it will be good, but I simply can't afford another streaming service. Especially not for one show.

Extraordinary Member Derek Metaltron's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vic Vega View Post
    I REALLY want to see it. I'm a BIG Michelle Yeoh fan and have been for years.

I don't want to pay for another monthly streaming service to do so.

I feel the same way about Young Justice and Warner's as yet unnamed streaming service.
    I can understand that, I am glad for once that Netflix UK seems to actually get something instead of all the other umpteen services over here like Amazon Prime or NOW TV snap it up. I think eventually if all the companies keep shifting into their own services at the same kinds of prices the On Demand services are going to implode. Netflix at least recognizes exclusive and original shows entice, I guess. But CBS is probably going to regret the decision to paywall it in the US that specifically.

Excited?

No.

Very mildly curious.

Yeah, I guess.
    "The rules of regeneration are known!"

"Sorry, what did you say? Did you mention the rules? Now, listen. A bit of advice: tell me the truth if you think you know it,
    lay down the law if you're feeling brave, but never ever tell me the rules!!"

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    I'm glad it sounds like it will be good, but I simply can't afford another streaming service. Especially not for one show.
    Eh, it's only 5.99 a month and that's only slightly more than most issues of the comics I follow, but unlike that comic price tag I'm actually getting four stories instead of just the one making each episode only 1.50 a piece which is pretty affordable as entertainment goes. Would I rather it be on TV? Sure, but it's far from un-affordable.

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    Eh, it's only 5.99 a month and that's only slightly more than most issues of the comics I follow, but unlike that comic price tag I'm actually getting four stories instead of just the one making each episode only 1.50 a piece which is pretty affordable as entertainment goes. Would I rather it be on TV? Sure, but it's far from un-affordable.
    If it's 5.99 on top of whatever other subscriptions you're paying (i.e. for me, Netflix, Amazon, Hulu), and it's only for one show, it doesn't seem cost effective. Plus, with those services, adding in more streaming sites gets you closer to the price of a cable package, espcially considering the amount of niche streaming services out there (i.e. Crunchyroll, Seeso, Shudder, Shout!, Youtube Red, any sports service, etc).

CBS would need much more material to justify a price that would make it competitive with the other streaming services, who have huge libraries. Even adding the entire Star Trek canon of TV/Film is only a drop compared to the rest.
    Last edited by Cyke; 09-21-2017 at 12:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyke View Post
    If it's 5.99 on top of whatever other subscriptions you're paying (i.e. for me, Netflix, Amazon, Hulu), and it's only for one show, it doesn't seem cost effective. Plus, with those services, adding in more streaming sites gets you closer to the price of a cable package, espcially considering the amount of niche streaming services out there (i.e. Crunchyroll, Seeso, Shudder, Shout!, Youtube Red, any sports service, etc).

CBS would need much more material to justify a price that would make it competitive with the other streaming services, who have huge libraries. Even adding the entire Star Trek canon of TV/Film is only a drop compared to the rest.
    I guess it depends on how you consume entertainment, as I said it works out to just 1.50 an episode which is less than what I pay for every comic issue I buy every week and is about the same as what I generally pay for new songs I buy off Itunes so in comparison the value is well worth it based on how long it will take to consume it. Could the value be greater if there was more available from CBS? Certainly, but even at just one show it's definitely in line with other entertainment mediums I already buy.

I'll watch the premiere on TV, but I'm not morbidly curious enough to pony up the money for their streaming service. Hate it's place in the timeline, hate the stylistic choices(ship design, uniforms, Klingons), hate the nostalgia-baiting(Sarek, Mudd, tribbles). I haven't felt this pessimistic about a scifi show since Stargate: Universe and I barely made it 3 episodes into that series.

Yeah, I guess it's not that I can't afford it, it's that $6 a month for one show is **** compared to the other streaming services I pay for, and there's literally nothing else on CBS I want to watch.

Why don't you people just wait for the full series to come out and chip in the 6 bucks or unsubscribe from the streaming service you aren't using for a month or two?
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    Why don't you people just wait for the full series to come out and chip in the 6 bucks or unsubscribe from the streaming service you aren't using for a month or two?
    I'm not going to reward any network when they want me to shell out a quick buck for them. Either air it on CBS or let everyone get it on Netflix. I'll check it out when it airs my only issues with the series is trying to connect to TOS outside of that it looks good.

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    Yeah, I guess it's not that I can't afford it, it's that $6 a month for one show is **** compared to the other streaming services I pay for, and there's literally nothing else on CBS I want to watch.
    For a streaming service, sure it's a poor value...but I'm not interested in it as a streaming service I just want to watch a new Trek show and when viewed in that line of thought the pricing is definitely inline with, or a better value than just about every other bit of entertainment I consume. Comics are 3.99 for about ten min. of entertainment, songs on itunes range from .99 to 1.99 a song for lets say three min. of entertainment, individual tv episodes on itunes range from 1.99 to 3 bucks for a half hour to an hour of entertainment, movie tickets range from 7-14 bucks(depending on whether I see it first or second run) for roughly two hours of entertainment, rentals from redbox are two bucks for again roughly two hours of entertainment and a few of the video games I play have transactions ranging from a couple cents to the dollar to ten dollar range for various upgrades or items for maybe three or four hours a week...so roughly $1.50 for perhaps 45 to 50 min of entertainment isn't too shabby in the scheme of things.

If you're not used to transactions like that for your entertainment, or you've never really stopped to think about ho you spend your entertainment dollars, I can see it being slightly off putting, but in our evolving world it's not as if the cost is unreasonable or outside the norm.

Incredible Member

Yes. I'm excited. It's been too long since I've had a star trek tv series I enjoyed, I want to give this a try in the hopes that it will be good. I have yet to reach peak nihilism like so many here regarding this star trek. I know production has been reported to have problems, but the same happened with rogue one, and that turned out well.

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    I guess it depends on how you consume entertainment, as I said it works out to just 1.50 an episode which is less than what I pay for every comic issue I buy every week and is about the same as what I generally pay for new songs I buy off Itunes so in comparison the value is well worth it based on how long it will take to consume it. Could the value be greater if there was more available from CBS? Certainly, but even at just one show it's definitely in line with other entertainment mediums I already buy.
    That's the thing, though. People are obviously free to choose what they want to buy and not buy. But CBS isn't really offering much of an incentive beyond a single show to change minds, adjust budgets, justify an entire service. It's not exactly convenient if you're doing the online version of vapid channel surfing via monthly subscription (whereas with other services, there's plenty to choose from). CBS is applying old business models on the future of streaming TV -- for the price of one Star Trek episode, I'd get one episode of Handmaid's Tale, the Path, Shut Eye, Harlots, the Mindy Project, etc. plus a number of current network and cable show options for slightly more simultaneously.

It's one thing to equate it to a comic book, but it's like the option of buying one Batman comic, or buying Superman, WW, Flash, GL, the eleventeen Justice League titles, and more for the exact same price as one comic. Even the WWE's streaming service offers way more programming than a single wrestling show.

I mean, there's a very good reason why CBS is showing Discovery on Netflix in every other country but two. There are other huge markets and first-world cash to draw from, but CBS isn't offering their streaming services there. I'll watch it, but most likely at a friend's house at a viewing party. While that sounds nice, the reality is that one person is paying for 10 of us to watch, whereas if it were on Netflix, the 10 of us would be paying a subscription *each* already.

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    I'm not going to reward any network when they want me to shell out a quick buck for them. Either air it on CBS or let everyone get it on Netflix. I'll check it out when it airs my only issues with the series is trying to connect to TOS outside of that it looks good.
    Indeed, it only incentivizes CBS and other networks to eventually go down whatever the television equivalent of is of microtransactions. When I think of any network show that I'd be interested in watching, they're offered on something like Hulu. So what if I have to wait an extra day? That waiting becomes part of the weekly routine.
    Last edited by Cyke; 09-22-2017 at 11:54 AM.

Astonishing Member

if it was free i would