Page 68 of 76 FirstFirst ... 1858646566676869707172 ... LastLast
Results 1,006 to 1,020 of 1140
    Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Castle View Post
    Been following the finale of season 4 reaction. Trek fans what are your thoughts on Stacy Abrams appearing on the show?
    It's no different than any other celebrity Trek Fan getting to be on the show.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Incredible Member

They did go from 'Fire bad, tree pretty' to long winded speeches pretty damn quick. Turn off the space grinder was pretty late into the conversation too.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    Book, Detmer, The Earth Representative whose name I can't remember but should've been punished wayyy more harshly for treason...
    What did Detmer do?

I figured Book's animal empathy would be the best way to communicate with the 10C and he'd be "sentenced" to be the ambassador and could still pop up when convenient. General Earth Woman should have died in the collision, a warrior's redemption and we never have to see her hat again.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Just like Kareen Jabbar, James Worthy, Christian Slater and everyone else who has done it long before her.
    Mick Fleetwood shaved his beard to be one of the fish guys in an early STNG episode and John Tesh was one of the Klingons cattle prodding Worf in another episode. His character was called K'Tesh.
    Sounds perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    What did Detmer do?
    She wanted to do the suicide mission. I was all for her going out in a blaze of glory doing that. I wanted Earth Ambassador to die some other way helping to save the ship.

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    I figured Book's animal empathy would be the best way to communicate with the 10C and he'd be "sentenced" to be the ambassador and could still pop up when convenient. General Earth Woman should have died in the collision, a warrior's redemption and we never have to see her hat again
    Book should have died as well, because he has maxed out his characterization, plus like Tarka the character is too good for the show. Once again we have an entire season wasted on something that wasn't worthy of two episodes.

Quote Originally Posted by Beantownbrown
    Star Trek: Discovery Producer Reveals How Season 5 Will Pull From Trek's Past
    I like how the article states this as if Kurtzman hasn't been doing this since he landed this gig.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Just like Kareen Jabbar, James Worthy, Christian Slater and everyone else who has done it long before her.

Yet expect the usual suspects to throw a fit over this.
    And I was right....

https://bleedingcool.com/tv/star-tre...stacey-abrams/

Senator Ted Cruz took to Twitter to discuss his plans for getting millions of kids in Texas access to health care and… I'm kidding! Oh no, Cruz went on social media to apparently make the point (from what we can tell) that 11 centuries from now is still apparently too soon to have a Black woman as president of a country or a planet. Oh, and that "The Guy Who Looks Like An Undercover Cop Trying to Look Like a Geek" has absolutely no clue about what "Star Trek" and Gene Roddenberry's vision are all about.

This looks like the most expensive television show that has ever been produced in tv history and yet I don’t know a single soul in my daily life that has heard of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Serpico Jones View Post
    This looks like the most expensive television show that has ever been produced in tv history and yet I don’t know a single soul in my daily life that has heard of it.
    That's what we like to call "The Alex Kurtzman Effect"
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Castle View Post
    Been following the finale of season 4 reaction. Trek fans what are your thoughts on Stacy Abrams appearing on the show?
    At the start, there was a very welcomed sense of doom and dread that I enjoyed. The high stakes and the possibility that this time might not pull it off that easily and remain stranded outside the Milky Way gave me the chills.
    Tilly was enjoyable. Cute and a person that I would like to have around in a moment of crisis. They also humanized the Chief of Starfleet.
    I also liked the President of the Federation on how she was acting the entire season. She might started a bit stiff but she became one of my favourites and in this mission she did played a good role rather than just being a sitting petty duck in the corner.
    Saru was always a pleasure, definitely the best part of the entire season (and the entire series for that matter). Might just be what Spock or Data were in the past installments.
    Book was the tragic figure in this season and i can understand to a certain point the course of action he took. Definitely a character I would like to see again.
    The special effects and cinematography are always a pleasure to see.
    Burnam improved her character and she acted like a leader rather than a martyr like she did in past seasons and I truly enjoyed her response when Book died and later when the 10C brought him back to her.

Plus one remark:I also liked the episode where the ship was stranded in the void. Michael acted like a true captain in that one and the receiving sense of doom was overwhelming.

What i didn't liked is that from the middle poin and on, it became formulaic. I would like to see an lasting impact despite the destruction of the Spore Drive or Book's arrest.
    Stamets and Adira are the most annoying members of the crew and this remark comes from a gay person. Grey was... just there I guess, being nothing more than Adira's satellite.

Minus one remark: I hated the episode with the killer Romulan nuns. Mirror Filippa Geourgiou's absence was felt the entire season.

In overhaul: In MY opinion, i think that Star Trek truly shines when the encounter the unknown or dealing with crises of cosmic propotions.
    Enough is enough with the politics and romantic interests. We had them in the final movies of the TNG era and the TOS series respectively.
    I would also like to see more 32nd Federation ships and I would like to see Voyager J taking more screantime and revisiting events from other Trek series such as DS-9.

I wonder where do they plan to take it in Season 5. There's also the Calypso Short they need to explain.

As for the Stacy Abrams guest, it didn't made any difference to me. I didn't knew who she was until i saw the posts here and made a quick Googling.
    It was cool I guess. I wish every Trekkie (including me) could have a chance to appear in an istallment.
    Last edited by Minerboh; 03-20-2022 at 05:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Serpico Jones View Post
    That's modern entertainment for you, it's increasingly fractured. The days of water cooler shows seems to be done.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    That's modern entertainment for you, it's increasingly fractured. The days of water cooler shows seems to be done.
    Some things still break through. Succession, Mare of Easttown, Squid Game, Euphoria, Yellowstone.
    Last edited by newparisian; 03-20-2022 at 08:28 AM.

I don't think Star Trek has been a "water-cooler" show since TOS.

Quote Originally Posted by newparisian View Post
    Some things still break through. Succession, Mare of Easttown, Squid Game, Euphoria, Yellowstone.
    they're pretty rare.
    The truth is there is just a lot of content out there on a lot of different services and many, like star trek, are aimed a niche audiences.

Quote Originally Posted by 80sbaby View Post
    I think the TNG season 3 cliffhanger was pretty big news back in the day. Also 7 of 9 was pretty big in popular culture but for different reasons.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    they're pretty rare.
    The truth is there is just a lot of content out there on a lot of different services and many, like star trek, are aimed a niche audiences.
    That's true.

Quote Originally Posted by 80sbaby View Post
    Adding Alex Kurtzman doesn't help either. Dude killed the Dark Universe with one movie, and that is really saying something because that movie had Tom Cruise in it. He somehow couldn't make Spider-Man work with Andrew Garfield. The dude made a show called "Clarice" but wasn't able to mention Hannibal Lecter.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    Adding Alex Kurtzman doesn't help either. Dude killed the Dark Universe with one movie, and that is really saying something because that movie had Tom Cruise in it. He somehow couldn't make Spider-Man work with Andrew Garfield. The dude made a show called "Clarice" but wasn't able to mention Hannibal Lecter.
    Nah, this has nothing to do with Kurtzman. You can save your vendetta on this one. Star Trek has been pretty "niche" for some time. General audiences know Kirk and his crew but most aren't going to readily recognize Dax, Janeway or Sisko.