Page 8 of 75 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121858 ... LastLast

I've never been into Star Trek, but the trailers for this show have made me curious enough to tune in tonight.

"You're dead!"- Soldier
    "You first"- Lightning, Final Fantasy XIII

"Yes, boo, cause this is Calvin Klein and I don't play that ****" - Tanisha

"You look like a fairy princess...that resides over the pits of hell." - New York

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

If it was going to be on at 8 tonight as scheduled, I'd probably watch it. But I don't watch football and I'm not going to bother trying to figure out when the game will end and the show start. If they do an encore airing or put it up streaming for free, I might catch it then.

Seriously CBS you already want me to buy your stupid App to watch the show regularly you couldn't put this on a night where the NFL wouldn't run late and now I have to sit thru 60 minutes?

Reserving Judgment on the "Klingons" and I like the ship design CGI is a little dodgy to me and I can't see it in the TOS era. Last the opening credits look and sound like "Fringe Trek" a mix of Star Trek and Fringe.

BANNED

When I was in the fourth grade, I wrote my first fiction story - a 4-page epic that might be somewhat remarkable for its length (most of my classmates struggled to write a story 1/8 the length) and the fact that a single, focused plot carried through the entire thing. The plot was stupid, of course, and the dialog ridiculously stilted.

In the 50 years since, I have never encountered dialog as bad as I wrote so long ago. Until the teaser act of Star Trek: Discovery. This is a disastrous introduction, in my opinion.

Is this the Prime Timeline? Because all the visual cues are Kelvin Timeline.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

I never really got the hate for the new look for the Klingons, it's not as if they've had a very consistent look over the years and given the various looks the new one isn't that far out.

Klingons.jpg

klingon-stid.jpg

The new look actually looks a lot like the design from Star Trek VI, only without hair.

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    I never really got the hate for the new look for the Klingons, it's not as if they've had a very consistent look over the years and given the various looks the new one isn't that far out.

Klingons.jpg

klingon-stid.jpg

The new look actually looks a lot like the design from Star Trek VI, only without hair.
    The Klingons aren't my problem it's the ship interior and glass view screen and the Vulcan school that all looks like Kelvin Timeline and not any time period in the Prime Timeline let alone the TOS Era.

I like the Kelvin Timeline and if this show was said it was set during it I'd be fine. But I'm not digging it in the Primetime.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    The Klingons aren't my problem it's the ship interior and glass view screen and the Vulcan school that all looks like Kelvin Timeline and not any time period in the Prime Timeline let alone the TOS Era.
    Eh, I just accept those as reflections of our own advancements in technology in real life. I love the aesthetic of the TOS look, but that was the future of the 60's, and it was same for the way the technology of TNG was the future of the late 80's/early 90's. Now I know it was easier to accept that change as TNG was the future of TOS so you could handwave it easily by saying time had progressed so of course the tech was different but it had much more to do with the real life changes than creating a real sense of continuity.

So Number 1 gets the federation into a War? I'm suppose to like her why? Also this whole episode was just build up for the real action in episode two which is only on CBS All Access screw them. I'll stick with Orville that actually feels like a Roddenberry Trek just with MacFarlane's sense of humor.

Astonishing Member Godzilla2099's Avatar

I was pleasantly surprised with the first Episode of Discovery.

- Special Effects were amazing
    - Acting was good
    - Great Set Up Episode.
    - It didn't move too fast.
    - My favorite character so far is the Science Officer, Saru

I honestly didn't find too many flaws to complain about.

Overall: Thumbs Up. I recommend it

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    So Number 1 gets the federation into a War? I'm suppose to like her why?
    I'm alright with this. Number One is a curious soul with spunk. Personally, I'm glad they didn't make her 'perfect' Flaws make a character interesting.

Oh nice, because of the stuff before it running long, my DVR only got part of the episode and it doesn't seem like they are even airing the first episode again on TV.

I actually really liked it, though I was not as down on the promotional material as I think a lot of longtime Star Trek fans were. Probably the biggest fumble for this, IMO was the botched premier. This was an advertisement to get people to go out and get a subscription to All Access, but people had to wait 20 minutes after the original start time through 60 Minutes. They're spending money on this and rolling the dice with this format, so they really needed to stick the landing. Thankfully the quality was there.

I enjoyed the characters they introduced, which looks like really only 2 who are going to be major characters. The set up for the series was good, though I would have liked a bit more of what's to come. This felt like a prologue that sets up the main plot and the rest of the series is going to be vastly different. I don't think that the entire series will focus on the Klingon War and it looks like there's some Science-y episodes on the horizon, which I'm excited about.

Looks like I'll be onboard for at least a few weeks.

Sorry there is only one #1 and that's Riker. Find a different nickname for her.
    Stick "we work together and we get out of here alive"

Matt "peace out suckas"