Page 29 of 37 FirstFirst ... 19252627282930313233 ... LastLast

The latest JL was the first issue I've enjoyed in a long, long time. Last issue definitely got my attention but this issue hooked me from page one. Loved seeing MM even if in a flashback, too.

Hope Priest sticks around. I'm really curious what he can do with the JL.

Fantastic Member

Pleased Priest has been given this gig as the comic' just did not feel like a flagship title' didn't look good within the 'Rebirt' Initiative. P.S. this is my first post, finding my legs.
    Last edited by Franny6422; 01-21-2018 at 10:36 AM.

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Franny6422 View Post
    Pleased Priest has been given this gig as the comic' just wasn't't I felt. As a flagship title' didn't look good within the 'Rebirt' Initiative. P.S. this is my first post, finding my legs.
    Welcome! Priest's run so far has been really exciting - full of challenges, really solid art, and very twisty plot!
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Fantastic Member

Thank you for WELCOME. Should had checked post first' at least can edit on here. I was unsure about Priest's 'take' I decided on individual issues to try out. After his first arc concludes I will switch to 'trades.' Nearly always 'digital' for me, due to 'space' issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Franny6422 View Post
    Thank you for WELCOME. Should had checked post first' at least can edit on here. I was unsure about Priest's 'take' I decided on individual issues to try out. After his first arc concludes I will switch to 'trades.' Nearly always 'digital' for me, due to 'space' issues.
    I feel you - I prefer digital, especially after I bought my tablet specifically for comic reading, but I do like having a select collection of hard copy comics.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston

Fantastic Member

Hope I'm not breaking any rules' new to all this, going 'off' topic' but do have a lot of hard copies/trades. Just 'space' is a commodity in my flat. Here in the U.K. most standard dwellings aren't spacious. Have just started to properly digest 'Rebirth' but got an absolute ton of material to digest. Had to look at Priest's Justice League after reading a review.

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    I feel you - I prefer digital, especially after I bought my tablet specifically for comic reading, but I do like having a select collection of hard copy comics.
    I bought a laptop/tablet combo just bto read comics, I'm all digital. I live in a small apartment with my folks so space is crucial. I don't even own Blu rays anymore.
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

Fantastic Member TruthAndJustice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    Must be a more recent flashback given they all have their Rebirth outfits.
    I suspect it's just artistic error, like with WONDER WOMAN ANNUAL #1.

Everyone should've been wearing their "classic" costumes. Hell, Hall was drawn with white boots(!!)

I've been enjoying this run, it's charming with the little details such as the weird facemasks and Aquaman as a bus driver plus the cameos from J'onn, Hal, Kid Flash are all nice. It's not as good as the hype would have you believe but it's a nice, comfortable little adventure that manages to be engaging even if it is getting dangerously close to Marvel-esque stupidity from the civilians. I do like that Priest is setting up Cyborg to be the leader, in lieu of Batman, as the two typically fill the same tech guy role but Batman's Batman whereas Cyborg needs something ANYTHING to come across as interesting.

My main criticism, and it's a pretty big one, is Jessica Cruz. I don't know if Priest even bothered to skim her current run or even her Wikipedia page but he missed the mark with her character to a hilarious degree, to the point where it might as well not be the same character. I think the latest issue has her rarely talk and that's honestly for the better until Priest gets a better handle of her character. Simon had a weird moment too in the first issue where he was praying but he's been fine since then.

Fantastic Member

I thought it was 'cool' to see Simon praying if just only to remind us of his faith/background.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunday View Post
    I've been enjoying this run, it's charming with the little details such as the weird facemasks and Aquaman as a bus driver plus the cameos from J'onn, Hal, Kid Flash are all nice. It's not as good as the hype would have you believe but it's a nice, comfortable little adventure that manages to be engaging even if it is getting dangerously close to Marvel-esque stupidity from the civilians. I do like that Priest is setting up Cyborg to be the leader, in lieu of Batman, as the two typically fill the same tech guy role but Batman's Batman whereas Cyborg needs something ANYTHING to come across as interesting.

My main criticism, and it's a pretty big one, is Jessica Cruz. I don't know if Priest even bothered to skim her current run or even her Wikipedia page but he missed the mark with her character to a hilarious degree, to the point where it might as well not be the same character. I think the latest issue has her rarely talk and that's honestly for the better until Priest gets a better handle of her character. Simon had a weird moment too in the first issue where he was praying but he's been fine since then.
    Agreed. I noticed that about Cruz right away and it bothers me because it's such a jarring difference from how she's been written otherwise.
    Always Forward. Forward Always.

Amazing Member

How long will Priest be on JL?

As far as I can tell, there's not plans for him to leave soon.

So I read the April solicitations, they're trying to do that someone is gonna die or be critically injured thing, I don't really care, what I care about is the solicit for #43 which also is the end of an arc, do you guys think we'll get a team shake up or am I hoping for too much?

Quote Originally Posted by Sunday View Post
    Simon had a weird moment too in the first issue where he was praying but he's been fine since then.
    Well he is Muslim, Muslim describes a person who practices Islam, it's a religion, so if Simon is not religious is he even Muslim, I mean what's the point of DC advertising him as a Muslim Green Lantern character if nobody is gonna show that; basically that praying part added to the authenticity of Simon's religion and the whole basis of what he's advertised as. I mean these are individuals who pray 5 times a day, we are bound to see Simon praying while in or out of costume, if it's not being shown every once in a while in the Green Lanterns book that is pretty glaring.

Quote Originally Posted by upmiddowntown View Post
    How long will Priest be on JL?
    We don't know, I personally believe Priest's run will last as long as the Doomsday Clock event b/c it feels very self contained.
    Last edited by kurenai24; 01-23-2018 at 06:10 PM.
    My priority is black female characters; everything else is secondary.

~~

Marvel: Miles Morales, Riri Williams, Ororo Munroe, Thor, Quentin Quire.
    DC Comics: Vixen, Batman, Bat Family, John Stewart, Roy Harper, Tempest, Poison Ivy, Raven.
    Comics: Y: The Last Man, Justice League America (2009), Ultimate Comics: All New Spider-Man (2011)
    Ships: Thororo/ThunderStorm, Vixen/hasn't been created, Jason Todd/Kathy Duquesne.

~~

Icon/Avatar by LoneNecromancer

Quote Originally Posted by kurenai24 View Post
    Well he is Muslim, Muslim describes a person who practices Islam, it's a religion, so if Simon is not religious is he even Muslim, I mean what's the point of DC advertising him as a Muslim Green Lantern character if nobody is gonna show that; basically that praying part added to the authenticity of Simon's religion and the whole basis of what he's advertised as. I mean these are individuals who pray 5 times a day, we are bound to see Simon praying while in or out of costume, if it's not being shown every once in a while in the Green Lanterns book that is pretty glaring.
    Well, in the Green Lanterns book, at least by Humphries, it was kind of like Jessica being Hispanic.

There would be the occasional reference to it or nod, but it wasn't in-your-face about it and didn't really define either character.