Page 1 of 37 1234511 ... LastLast
    I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Default Christopher Priest on Justice League!

http://www.dccomics.com/blog/2017/09...justice-league

More thoughts later, but the announcement finally went live today, with preview art - it's so awesome to see Pete Woods again!
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Priest is hit or miss guy for me,but I didnt care for Hitches run anyway,so why not.Thou,term more realistic never inspires confidence.

BANNED

Should be good stuff. I've had to listen to everyone talk about how brilliant Priest's Deathstroke has been, and now I can actually read something he's writing. Of course, if Hal takes his spot on the League back and/or Mera is removed after FINALLY joining, I'm checking out again.

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OutlawGunStar View Post
    Priest is hit or miss guy for me,but I didnt care for Hitches run anyway,so why not.Thou,term more realistic never inspires confidence.
    I don't think Priest means "it could really happen," but more "what would people really think about the Justice League," and "what would it really be like to be a member".
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Mighty Member

A grounded character-based Justice League sounds awesome to me. I am totally on board.

Quote Originally Posted by Assam View Post
    Should be good stuff. I've had to listen to everyone talk about how brilliant Priest's Deathstroke has been, and now I can actually read something he's writing. Of course, if Hal takes his spot on the League back and/or Mera is removed after FINALLY joining, I'm checking out again.
    Why not try his Deathstroke book? I mean, I take it you are not a fan of the character, but a good writer can often make a character you aren't interested in incredible. I mean, I'm not super into the New Gods, but Tom King is killing it with Mister Miracle.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    Why not try his Deathstroke book? I mean, I take it you are not a fan of the character, but a good writer can often make a character you aren't interested in incredible. I mean, I'm not super into the New Gods, but Tom King is killing it with Mister Miracle.
    I'm more than willing to give a book about a character I don't care about a chance. I do it all the time. It's a different story when I can't STAND a character, and I think they're horrible. That's Slade. And no, it's not a matter of "He does such awful things; he's such a meany". That'd be dumb. No I think he's just a bad character.

A grounded character-based Justice League sounds awesome to me. I am totally on board.

I was a big fan of Deathstroke until the Crossover completely derailed it and the new direction drove it into the ground. Hopefully he goes back to his A game for Justice League.

Well looks like between this, Terrifics, and New Challengers I'll be back to buying more DC than Marvel.
    Pull List:

Marvel Comics: Venom, X-Men, Black Panther, Captain America, Eternals, Warhammer 40000.
    DC Comics: The Last God
    Image: Decorum

Astonishing Member

I thought his run on JLTF was some of his worst work. (Granted it was so long ago and I think he's improved a lot since then). It should be good.

D*mned Prince of Gotham JasonTodd428's Avatar

I think I'll be waiting to see how Priest's run is according to people I trust before committing. He's very hit or miss with me and there are many other books coming out that I'm more interested in than the JL.

I'm not answering for Assam, but for myself I simply don't bother with characters/books I have no interest in when there are plenty of characters/books out there that I do have interest in. Deathstroke as a character has never been one that I cared to read about so his books get a pass from me.
    Last edited by JasonTodd428; 09-15-2017 at 10:12 AM.
    Supporting LION FORGE COMICS and other independent publishers.

Check out Lion Forge's Catalyst Prime Universe. Its the best damned superhero verse in comics. Diverse characters and interesting stories set in a universe where anyone can be a hero. And company that prides itself on representation both in the comics themselves and in the people behind them.

Oh my goodness gracious! I've been bamboozled!

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change. AVATAR AANG

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Assam View Post
    I'm more than willing to give a book about a character I don't care about a chance. I do it all the time. It's a different story when I can't STAND a character, and I think they're horrible. That's Slade. And no, it's not a matter of "He does such awful things; he's such a meany". That'd be dumb. No I think he's just a bad character.
    Even so, a good writer can make a bad character a good one. You heard me rant about how terrible Danny Chase was in another thread. If a good writer did a Danny Chase series, and it was getting a lot of praise, I'd check it out. Worse case scenario: you discover you still aren't into it and don't read any more.
    Last edited by Sam; 09-15-2017 at 10:32 AM.

I like this direction for the league. The art is refreshing too.

BANNED

If a good writer did a Danny Chase series, and it was getting a lot of praise.
    Interesting story you may or may not be aware of: During his run on Titans Vol 1, Jae Faerber introduced a character called Epsilon. Epsilon would end up being crap and not making any sense because of editorial, but the original plan was for him to be a reborn Danny Chase, Faerber wanting to make the point that any character could be made good.

Now you know I don't think there was anything wrong with Danny, but I would have loved that idea, if only to have him back, but also because I dig the mentality. Any bad character CAN be made good.

Thing is, the creator needs to acknowledge that the character needs fixing in the first place and try to make them better. And from what I've heard from interviews and about the book, that is not the case here.

Always Rakzo

I remember that Priest did Justice League: Task Force during the 90s and that turned out to be a solid read that explored quite a few deep themes and created strong character development. This should be a blast.

Amazing Member

Wow. I had no idea Priest was nominated for an Eisner for Deathstroke. That's awesome. What a great return to comics. As i just couldn't stand Justice League anymore and dropped it, it's good to hear it'll be in good hands. I'm back in the fold.