Default Two Teams One Purpose:Justice League+Titans

I had a thought earlier today at work. I was thinking about what purpose the Titans really serve, especially when occupying the same space as the Justice League, The Teen Titans, and the Suicide Squad. As much as we love most of the characters on the team(I'm sure this sub knows how much I love Wally), I don't think this team really has much of a purpose right now or rather they seem like a redundancy. Do you guys think it would be better if they were absorbed into the League or Titans instead? At least for the League we'd have something akin to the JLU; a rotating roster full of competent(when written right) and experienced heroes. Imagine the novelty of seeing Batman and Nightwing work alongside Vanilla and Strawberry Flash. I'd buy it in a heartbeat. Anyway, I know it's just wishful thinking on my part, but is it something anyone would want to see?

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

There's too much redundancy to be absorbed into the league and they'd constantly be interacting with their mentors, which would inhibit their growth.

I totally agree (as I think most would) that they need more of a purpose and unique direction, but only a few of them could be in the League at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by Bogotazo View Post
    There's too much redundancy to be absorbed into the league and they'd constantly be interacting with their mentors, which would inhibit their growth.

I totally agree (as I think most would) that they need more of a purpose and unique direction, but only a few of them could be in the League at a time.
    Well think about it, would it really stunt their growth if they're treated and written as equals? I don't see that happening on the Titans anytime soon. I really wish that wasn't the case. I wish there was some way to show that they're every bit as formidable as the League...in their own way.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by TheSupernaut View Post
    Well think about it, would it really stunt their growth if they're treated and written as equals? I don't see that happening on the Titans anytime soon. I really wish that wasn't the case. I wish there was some way to show that they're every bit as formidable as the League...in their own way.
    Every team should have a specific mission... dunno if the Titans could or should be placed on the same tier as the Justice League though. Justice League is the premier team... flagship Earth defenders. It feels like pandering to play it another way. But they deserve a lane all their own.

I always liked the Classic Defenders' mission statement, myself.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

I just wanna see Nightwing on a team that matters.

BANNED

I think it's a wrong attitude to have to think any given team needs it's own unique mission statement, because if that was the case then yes, you could have the Justice League, but not the Titans or the JSA because they are all sort of dealing with mainstream big-action threats and the JL is just more popular than the others. Same with Teen Titans, if you had those, then you couldn't have Young Justice or Infinity Inc.

The reason why you should keep going and trying with these other teams is because we readers want to read about those characters interacting with each other, as well as the big action. Like you have the JL and all the superstars dealing with say the Injustice League and it's a unique experience because you get to see them working off one another. Titans is in the same boat but with different characters, Abnett is mostly making a hash of it right now, but the potential is still there... if DC would just stop trying to make it into a soap-opera.

As for combining JL and the Titans... a team up would be nice. But I once asked a TT writer, think it was Krul, about why the adult superheroes never appeared in the book for a legitimate team up, and the reply was something along the lines of: "There is a danger of the older heroes simply taking seniority, which is not what people want to see." And I think thats still going to be true if the writer of the team up doesn't treat carefully... like, way back in the W/P days, they had NTT team up with the Outsiders and Batman immediately took charge of everything and trampled all over Dick and his leadership of the Titans. Now that case was ofc made part of the story when Dick practically exploded on Bruce, but I fear more than a few writers would just make it a JL+with backup's and fail at making it an equal experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Outside_85 View Post
    I think it's a wrong attitude to have to think any given team needs it's own unique mission statement, because if that was the case then yes, you could have the Justice League, but not the Titans or the JSA because they are all sort of dealing with mainstream big-action threats and the JL is just more popular than the others. Same with Teen Titans, if you had those, then you couldn't have Young Justice or Infinity Inc.

The reason why you should keep going and trying with these other teams is because we readers want to read about those characters interacting with each other, as well as the big action. Like you have the JL and all the superstars dealing with say the Injustice League and it's a unique experience because you get to see them working off one another. Titans is in the same boat but with different characters, Abnett is mostly making a hash of it right now, but the potential is still there... if DC would just stop trying to make it into a soap-opera.

As for combining JL and the Titans... a team up would be nice. But I once asked a TT writer, think it was Krul, about why the adult superheroes never appeared in the book for a legitimate team up, and the reply was something along the lines of: "There is a danger of the older heroes simply taking seniority, which is not what people want to see." And I think thats still going to be true if the writer of the team up doesn't treat carefully... like, way back in the W/P days, they had NTT team up with the Outsiders and Batman immediately took charge of everything and trampled all over Dick and his leadership of the Titans. Now that case was ofc made part of the story when Dick practically exploded on Bruce, but I fear more than a few writers would just make it a JL+with backup's and fail at making it an equal experience.
    True. And your doubts are definitely valid. The way I had it set up in my head was that they wouldn't all be around at the same time. If the writer rotated the lineup every few issues and gave an in story reason for WHY the Titans deserve to be Justice Leaguers I think it could work. And it doesn't have to be a permanent status quo (like anything in comics ever is) but it would be a cool experiment. Wally and Roy have both been Leaguers in the past so there's precedent for it. Maybe after it's all said and done no one would ever look at the Titans as second stringers ever again.