Page 28 of 46 FirstFirst ... 1824252627282930313238 ... LastLast
    Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    Tom Taylor just posted something about his next project that makes me very excited!

Amazing Man has a ton of potential! The fact that Taylor seems to be going with Roy Thomas' idea of starting him out in the 1940s along side the All Star Squadron. That Amazing Man also marched with MLK during the Civil Rights movement. This character could be huge and very culturally significant if done right.
    Oh great about image to rile up that group who will not be named and crybaby store owners.

If they re using Amazing Man will they use all 4?

We know Grandpa was around during WW2 to Civil Rights, Dad dealt with the klan in the 80s and then Junior was the 90s and cousin was the 2000s.

That is 12 issue series by itself.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Oh great about image to rile up that group who will not be named and crybaby store owners.

If they re using Amazing Man will they use all 4?

We know Grandpa was around during WW2 to Civil Rights, Dad dealt with the klan in the 80s and then Junior was the 90s and cousin was the 2000s.

That is 12 issue series by itself.
    That image by itself is going to piss off a lot of racist jackasses. Which is great!

They could go the legacy route or maybe even say that his powers somehow give him longevity, like a lot of the JSA members.

I always used to say that DC did better by queer characters than Marvel (I mean, Midnighter vs Iceman is no competition), but they solidly put Hulkling at the center of a big summer crossover and I don't know that DC would ever do that.
    I still miss Renee Montoya. Oh, and I'm a dude.

Quote Originally Posted by armlessphelan View Post
    I always used to say that DC did better by queer characters than Marvel (I mean, Midnighter vs Iceman is no competition), but they solidly put Hulkling at the center of a big summer crossover and I don't know that DC would ever do that.
    Dc's gay male characters could use more exposure. We're down to just Aqualad in a couple of books as supporting character for gay men. Constantine as a bi/pan man...and that's it for regularly appearing characters?
    Bunker, Ray and Jericho are all off in limbo. Midnighter and Apollo just made an appearance but with no regular book who knows when they'll be around again.
    There's a lot of bi/gay women in DC which is great, but they could do better with bi/gay men, which aren't as "safe" and accepted. Marvel has a pretty big slew of queer male characters lately. Just the X books probably have twice as many queer men as all of DC.

Ultimate Member

It takes guts to do something like that-no matter the outcome in terms of sales.

Like you said Midnighter versus Iceman is not even a contest. However Midnighter has more solo usage and was part of a company not tied down to a franchise guy like Batman or X-Men for a time. He got the freedom that Iceman can't have because of the franchise he is apart of.

Constantine as a bi/pan man...and that's it for regularly appearing characters?
    You could do an event around him or the new Shade Changling Man-who is black and I want to say Bi (but he did have a boyfriend in Shade The Changling Woman).

Putting a character at the center of a big summer crossover doesn't mean anything if that crossover isn't good. And most of Marvel's crossovers haven't been good for some time now.

I'll take DC simply putting their LGBT heroes in solos or team books than a crappy event.

Incredible Member

That image by itself is going to piss off a lot of racist jackasses. Which is great!

They could go the legacy route or maybe even say that his powers somehow give him longevity, like a lot of the JSA members.
    Apart from the fact it was the Russians who got to Berlin first why would that image piss any one off? Im not saying it wouldnt, im just struggling to see what the issue would be.

Incredible Member

It takes guts to do something like that-no matter the outcome in terms of sales.

Like you said Midnighter versus Iceman is not even a contest. However Midnighter has more solo usage and was part of a company not tied down to a franchise guy like Batman or X-Men for a time. He got the freedom that Iceman can't have because of the franchise he is apart of.

You could do an event around him or the new Shade Changling Man-who is black and I want to say Bi (but he did have a boyfriend in Shade The Changling Woman).
    Well the point of Shade is that s/he can be anyone. Shade's been everything from in the body of a serial killer to a man, a woman, and even a dance floor.

Ultimate Member

Look up the history of Tyroc in Legion. There is a reason Grell did his costume like that.
    Tyroc's not even the first, Shooter apparently wanted Ferro Lad to be black, but was told no, so instead of drawing yet another white face, he just slapped an iron mask on him and said he was disfigured.

At least Tyroc got re-envisioned more recently as a sonic manipulator in a much cooler costume, rather than his original powerset of 'I scream and random **** happens,' like some four decade predecessor of Flex Mentallo. It would have been cool if Bendis had used any of the pre-existing black or Asian Legionnaires, like Tyroc, Computo, Glorith, Karate Kid II (Myg), Kid Quantum II, XS, Dragonmage, Dragonwing, Chemical Kid, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by iron chimp View Post
    Apart from the fact it was the Russians who got to Berlin first why would that image piss any one off? Im not saying it wouldnt, im just struggling to see what the issue would be.
    Really? A black guy punching out Hitler isn’t going to trigger some people? All you have to do is look at the comments section of comic book social media pages that posted this image to see it already happening.

Astonishing Member

Really? A black guy punching out Hitler isn’t going to trigger some people? All you have to do is look at the comments section of comic book social media pages that posted this image to see it already happening.
    Let the clowns, racists and right wing trolls get triggered. They're part of the problem plaguing the comic industry, but that's an uncomfortable conversation that most people want to avoid.

Clowns in comment sections, the same people had an issue with Superman smashes the Klan.
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

I believe your average garden-variety racist wouldn't have a problem with a black superhero socking Hitler on the jaw, but your neo-Nazis surely would.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    Tyroc's not even the first, Shooter apparently wanted Ferro Lad to be black, but was told no, so instead of drawing yet another white face, he just slapped an iron mask on him and said he was disfigured.

At least Tyroc got re-envisioned more recently as a sonic manipulator in a much cooler costume, rather than his original powerset of 'I scream and random **** happens,' like some four decade predecessor of Flex Mentallo. It would have been cool if Bendis had used any of the pre-existing black or Asian Legionnaires, like Tyroc, Computo, Glorith, Karate Kid II (Myg), Kid Quantum II, XS, Dragonmage, Dragonwing, Chemical Kid, etc.
    What a missed opportunity.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by 9th. View Post
    Clowns in comment sections, the same people had an issue with Superman smashes the Klan.
    Ahh...

+ @The Darknight Detective ahh...

I forget that some things can openly exist in usa under freedom of speech (or whatever the law is) that are illegal in the UK and are strictly underground.