Page 40 of 46 FirstFirst ... 30363738394041424344 ... LastLast
    Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    She can be both? She was supposed to be Latina from her mother's side. Also, not all Italians = white, so even Falcone could be POC if he has Moorish heritage.
    Before the retcon, Selina's mother was stated to be Cuban ( if I'm not mistaken) . The majority of Cubans are White. So Selina's mother was a White Cuban. White Latino Americans are descendants of Europeans, so Selina is still European/white. I personally see Selina as an Italian. It fits with her personality. Carmine Falcone was modeled after Vito Corleone from The Godfather. He was always intended to be Italian (the creators have stated this). Italians are white. There is a distinction between ethnicity and citizenship. The Moors were expelled after 200 years of rule in Sicily. The expelled Moors went back to the Maghreb ( where they originate). So it will not be logical for Carmine to have Moorish heritage. Speaking of retconning characters, Kyle Rayner was retconned to be half-Latino, but since Jessica Cruz's introduction and rising popularity, there is no mention of Kyle's Latino origins. Personally, I prefer new original characters rather than changing/retconning existing ones.
    Last edited by Veni; 06-22-2021 at 08:51 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    that's kinda the point. the issue isn't really the profile of these characters of color but more the fact that DC has a tendency of killing off characters of color in bulk because they are supposedly C or D or G list or whatever as oppose to just using and raising their profile by actually developing these characters of color. it's an extension of the same issue of DC failing to properly manage their characters of color.
    Developing POC characters eliminates the need to race end.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    that's kinda the point. the issue isn't really the profile of these characters of color but more the fact that DC has a tendency of killing off characters of color in bulk because they are supposedly C or D or G list or whatever as oppose to just using and raising their profile by actually developing these characters of color. it's an extension of the same issue of DC failing to properly manage their characters of color.
    Doesn't have much to do with the color, they kill in general a lot of minor characters. I can't find a complete list of the characters that were killed in heros in crisis but I'm pretty sure the majority was white.

And if you think Hot Shot got it bad, at least he didn't got his arms ripped of by Superboy Prime like his team mate Risk.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Veni View Post
    Before the retcon, Selina's mother was stated to be Cuban ( if I'm not mistaken) . The majority of Cubans are White. So Selina's mother was a White Cuban. White Latino Americans are descendants of Europeans, so Selina is still European/white. I personally see Selina as an Italian. It fits with her personality. Carmine Falcone was modeled after Vito Corleone from The Godfather. He was always intended to be Italian (the creators have stated this). Italians are white. There is a distinction between ethnicity and citizenship. The Moors were expelled after 200 years of rule in Sicily. The expelled Moors went back to the Maghreb ( where they originate). So it will not be logical for Carmine to have Moorish heritage. Speaking of retconning characters, Kyle Rayner was retconned to be half-Latino, but since Jessica Cruz's introduction and rising popularity, there is no mention of Kyle's Latino origins. Personally, I prefer new original characters rather than changing/retconning existing ones.
    But we saw flashbacks to Selina’s mother Maria, and she was indeed brownish Cuban.

Maybe because they hardly utilize many of their most well known POC characters. Vixen, Steel, and Blue Beetle get buried for years at a time. I can’t imagine Marvel shelving Black Panther, Storm, or Ms. Marvel for multiple years.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    Maybe because they hardly utilize many of their most well known POC characters. Vixen, Steel, and Blue Beetle get buried for years at a time. I can’t imagine Marvel shelving Black Panther, Storm, or Ms. Marvel for multiple years.
    Black Panther was shelved for years back in the 80s until 1998.
    He got a couple of miniseries every now and then and every few years guest starred in Fantastic Four. But that was it. (Besides Fantastic Force).

Back in the late 80s and early 90s when Marvel was at its peak with quantity giving books to Deathlok to Nomad to Silver Sable, etc. There were none for T’Challa.

Ultimate Member

Black Panther got the shaft in the 90s.

Luke Cage was suppose to have a book after Powerman & Ironfist ended-he didn't and was in limbo until 1991 Cage series.

Falcon was just around and his first ongoing was suppose to be after Cap America & Falcon by Priest. It never happened.

Synch stayed dead for almost 20 years.

Prodigy went from a lead in X-Men to an after thought and a joke in Antman's first issue.

Marvel has guilt too but they still gave POC more shots than DC.

Marvel has definitely done their POC characters dirty in the past but I just can’t see them doing that in this day and age where companies are trying to promote and show how diverse they are. Im not saying they’re saints. It’s all about money and they know being diverse is profitable.

DC has POC characters who have had some mainstream success, but they still don’t utilize them.

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    This is a list of current and the upcoming books with me listing books where a minority character might pop up consistently

DC Team books
    Justice League
    Teen Titans Academy
    Green Lantern
    Suicide Squad
    *Batman Urban Legends
    *LoSH

Marvel Team books

Avengers
    Champions
    Children of the Atom
    Eternals
    Excalibur
    Guardians of Galaxy
    Hellions
    Marauders
    New Mutants
    Runways
    Strange Academy
    Savage Avengers
    Sword
    Way of X
    X-corps
    X-force
    X-men

Marvel Solo Books
    Black Panther
    Shang Chi
    Mile Morales Spiderman

DC Solo Books

Wonder Girl

Marvel Limited Series
    America Chavez
    Reptil
    Silk
    Darkhawk
    Winter Guard
    Defenders
    Gamma Flight
    United States of Captain America

DC Limited Series

Far Sector
    Crime Syndicate
    Superman and the Authority
    Checkmate
    Crush& Lobo
    Infinite Frontier
    Next Batman Second Son
    Mister Miracle: The Source of Freedom
    Strange Adventures
    *Naomi
    *Static,Hardware,Icon : Milestone stuff

To say Marvel isn't doing much better, I would disagree that .Marvel has consistent team books in the X-men which regular feature minorities so on that aspect they are way better. But the proof is just about everywhere else as well for example for something I didn't list Marvel has Black Cat a LGBTQ lead and three other female books currently one behind DC with but is because DC has two Wonder Woman books but currently Electra is daredevil right now it is same amount of book. If just one minority is show up in Marvels teams books they are doing miles better than DC.
    Looks like fans ignoring/not supporting minority characters factors in.

Robin is a solo title featuring a minority character. The series also recently brought back a long shelved minority character but that's not listed.

I mean Robin is the most well known sidekick and the mantle has been held by a minority for over a decade now.

Nightwing also another solo headlined by a POC.

That's two supposedly hot solo titles with two of DC's hottest writers and they are not listed.

These anthologies have also featured POC recently

Batman Black and White
    Truth and Justice

These are from my very small DC pull list [don't have the full list of what DC is currently publishing]

It's not much of a difference I know but seemed odd that 2 well known mantles/titles led with POC in the lead were over looked.

edit

Jackson Hyde has a mini coming out soon
    The main Batman title currently has a number of minority characters.
    Last edited by dietrich; 06-22-2021 at 10:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dthirds3 View Post
    Because of the old guard in management shot themselves in the foot.

In the early 2000's they were way ahead of the curve, look at Cassandra cain, a disabled Asian women in a solo title as a example. But this made the old guard feel old so the destroyed them. In a world where they keep her as the main batgirl she'd be right behind ww. Its all bad decision on management
    Cassandra's Batgirl series was cancelled because of Kate getting re-introduced according to the books artist so not sure how accurate your assumption about 'old guard feeling old' is.

Kate is an LGBtQ and Jewish.

Harley is also another minority character. She's jewish.

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    She can be both? She was supposed to be Latina from her mother's side. Also, not all Italians = white, so even Falcone could be POC if he has Moorish heritage.
    I feel like I'm seeing too many could bes here. I'm not against racebending on principle but how is Selina supposed to be good minority representation when her race is so ambiguous and DC can't even settle on what her racial makeup is?

Quote Originally Posted by dietrich View Post
    Cassandra's Batgirl series was cancelled because of Kate getting re-introduced according to the books artist so not sure how accurate your assumption about 'old guard feeling old' is.

Kate is an LGBtQ and Jewish.

Harley is also another minority character. She's jewish.
    White Jewish and LGBT characters often get passes that poc characters don't. Especially when their Judiasm rarely gets addressed like in Harley's case. Kate is also an older character than Cass.

Incredible Member

Marvel has definitely done their POC characters dirty in the past but I just can’t see them doing that in this day and age where companies are trying to promote and show how diverse they are. Im not saying they’re saints. It’s all about money and they know being diverse is profitable.

DC has POC characters who have had some mainstream success, but they still don’t utilize them.
    Is diverse actually profitable though? In theory it should be but in reality (and solely in comics not other media) it does not seem to have brought more readers in

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    White Jewish and LGBT characters often get passes that poc characters don't. Especially when their Judiasm rarely gets addressed like in Harley's case. Kate is also an older character than Cass.
    Lesbians and bi women get passes, but outside of Constantine how many bi men have their own title? Gay men? Trans people?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Kate is also an older character than Cass.
    Kathy is older than Cass, Kate isn't.

Those two are completly differnt characters despite the similar names.