Page 46 of 46 FirstFirst ... 364243444546

Quote Originally Posted by CPSparkles View Post
    Do you consider The Al Ghul's as Caucasian?

DC artists are inconsistent with Damian however Damian being portrayed with a darker skin tone isn't recent [it's been a there since the new52]

Damian's 1st portrayal that embraced his Asian heritage was prior to him taking up the Robin Mantle[the pre flashpoint in a one shot story that was part of the then Robin series Annual]

The positive is that Dc has now identified Damian is a POC. I hope going forward this is reflected in his features.
    Talia is explicitly identified by her creator as Arabs/Chinese mix. Ras was ambiguous on purpose but nowadays we accept that he is Arab. It's also more tricky with characters of Arabic descent since Arabs can easily 'pass' for white and getting into the debate of whether some features are more or less Arabic is it's own problematic mine field. Plus in that part of the world and in South Asia, most divisions are due to differences in culture, language and religion with occasional colourism than due to race.

There is also the fact that the Al Ghuls are basically a nomadic cult not associated with any of the real world Arabic or Asian countries so how is Damian supposed to rep his culture anyway?

I think Damian and Kyle should be in a category separate from Dick, Selina and the rest of the 'poc only when convenient to certain debators'. Damian and Kyle should be representative of people who are poc but can pass for white.

Extraordinary Member

DC artists are inconsistent with Damian however Damian being portrayed with a darker skin tone isn't recent [it's been a there since the new52]
    During the new 52 he was iirc in most comics iirc as pale as the rest of the Batfamily.

And honestly with his father beeing white and with Ras and Thalia also typically not being that dark skinned, it make sense for him to pretty light skinned.

Btw. does anyone know if Sensei being Ras Father is still canon (that was iirc a retcon made near the end of pre flashpoint)?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    I think Damian and Kyle should be in a category separate from Dick, Selina and the rest of the 'poc only when convenient to certain debators'. Damian and Kyle should be representative of people who are poc but can pass for white.
    I don't really see how Kyle falls into a different category than Dick, Selina.

I'm not a big Green Lantern Expert, but afaik he was raised by his white mother and didn't met his father until he was in 20s (unless that was retconed). So he has even less connection to the culture of his father, and looks as white as Dick and Selina.

Extraordinary Member CPSparkles's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    During the new 52 he was iirc in most comics iirc as pale as the rest of the Batfamily.

And honestly with his father beeing white and with Ras and Thalia also typically not being that dark skinned, it make sense for him to pretty light skinned.

Btw. does anyone know if Sensei being Ras Father is still canon (that was iirc a retcon made near the end of pre flashpoint)?
    Gleason's Damian is more Tan and in his 1st solo RSOB he was visibly a person of colour.
    I just feel that the 4 Robins are very similar and now we have Tim and Damian 16 and 14 and both Robin. Distinction would be welcome IMO

Extraordinary Member

Gleason's Damian is more Tan and in his 1st solo RSOB he was visibly a person of colour.
    I think that was DCYou and not New 52.

Or should DCYou be part of the New 52, it would have been at the very end about 4 years in.

In the roughly 10 years before he was iirc mostly pale skinned and blue eyed.