Page 10 of 46 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by crazy diamond View Post
    dc used to be willing to let their characters change and progress. They weren't afraid to try new approaches in art and narrative. Then dan didio came along and fifteen years later you get the dc of today.
    QFT

10char

Quote Originally Posted by Black Angel View Post
    Marvel just knows how to take risks and commit to it despite fan backlash. I mean the last risk DC took was the new 52 made superman date wonder woman and made wally west black. What happened they buckled and took it all back. Marvel they aren't afraid to put their more established characters outside their troupes i mean thor lost his hammer and title, so did cap heck even iron man is expanding his legacy and so.
    DC is afraid to make those risk and stick with them.
    Superman dating Wonder Woman had been done before and Wally being black might have worked had they not made a racial stereotype not to mention erased actual minorities from the Flash cast like Linda Park and X-S.

The pre Flashpoint universe had more risks like Aquaman having a half Inuit son or an Asian American Batgirl or Static being a Titan. Those risks were worth committing to

I can't speak for all Cyborg fans but I think most of us are frustrated at the wasted potential. A cyborg character could be amazing. Cyborgs in anime and other media have shown how awesome a character like that can be. Especially since technology is such a huge part of our daily lives. DC keeps telling us how powerful Cyborg is and yet they haven't delivered. His design is boring and he seems to be stuck in this pattern of either being mopey or being hacked by lesser characters. The Walker/Reis run was the first time Vic had a modern design. He looked like a cyborg who was half human half machine and not just a guy in generic armor. The writing wasn't great but Vic became a wish fulfillment character. Hell, if I could be a cyborg and look cool while doing it, I'd be totally down. I've read articles about how cybernetics could be the next stage of human evolution. so much potential and DC just doesn't get it. I think they've wanted to keep him at this Cyborg 1.0 stage because the movies and tv shows. He can't progress because they want him to be recognizable to new fans. After the movie, they don't have any more excuses.

Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

The DC media is willing to use diverse characters but the comic side always being so stingy with it. And when they do use them you get the Cyborg treatment; uninspired nothingness. Just like Robotman said "wasted potential".

I don't want diverse characters replacing a list heroes but my god use them efficiently and more. It would be nice if theu can get treated as much as nicely Batman gets treated.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    I can't speak for all Cyborg fans but I think most of us are frustrated at the wasted potential. A cyborg character could be amazing. Cyborgs in anime and other media have shown how awesome a character like that can be. Especially since technology is such a huge part of our daily lives. DC keeps telling us how powerful Cyborg is and yet they haven't delivered. His design is boring and he seems to be stuck in this pattern of either being mopey or being hacked by lesser characters. The Walker/Reis run was the first time Vic had a modern design. He looked like a cyborg who was half human half machine and not just a guy in generic armor. The writing wasn't great but Vic became a wish fulfillment character. Hell, if I could be a cyborg and look cool while doing it, I'd be totally down. I've read articles about how cybernetics could be the next stage of human evolution. so much potential and DC just doesn't get it. I think they've wanted to keep him at this Cyborg 1.0 stage because the movies and tv shows. He can't progress because they want him to be recognizable to new fans. After the movie, they don't have any more excuses.
    Cyborg is a goldmine of potential and he totally deserves the upgrade to the JL more than Vixen, Black Lightning, Terrific, etc, if you ask me.

This is the age where technology, our phones, are becoming an extension of our selves and it's fundamentally changing the way humans interact as social creatures. What better character to tackle these modern issues than someone who is half computer, someone who's constantly connected, for better or worse. What better character to tackle issues of modern communication (or lack thereof) than the superhero who has the ability to connect with everyone yet doesn't seem to want to talk with anyone about his issues.

There's also a lot of visual potential with digital worlds that I don't think the books have gone into.

Other than Cyborg, I also think DC is seriously squandering the potential of John Stewart, and thus the potential of the Green Lantern property. With his architect/soldier backstory, I think he's the perfect character to capture the duality of a Green Lantern, who have the ability to both build and destroy, and he makes the whole idea of green space soldiers who can create constructs seem less...random. IMO the whole property should be influenced by this character, with more of a focus on the GLC as a military/peacekeeping organisation, examining what it's like to be a (space) soldier. The property has "Corps" in the name after all.
    Last edited by SmokeMonster; 09-24-2017 at 03:48 AM.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by HandofPrometheus View Post
    The DC media is willing to use diverse characters but the comic side always being so stingy with it. And when they do use them you get the Cyborg treatment; uninspired nothingness. Just like Robotman said "wasted potential".

I don't want diverse characters replacing a list heroes but my god use them efficiently and more. It would be nice if theu can get treated as much as nicely Batman gets treated.
    Question-have any of the diverse characters appeared in books that they are not the star of aside from cheap cameos?

I look at a book like Scooby Doo Team up-have any POC team up with those guys? Not with a team but by themselves? Like Harley forever does.

Marvel just knows how to take risks and commit to it despite fan backlash. I mean the last risk DC took was the new 52 made superman date wonder woman and made wally west black. What happened they buckled and took it all back.
    DC took risks but screwed up so many guys who were fine the way they were.

If they left everything alone and just started with new numbers one-the results would have been better.

Marvel takes risks because at the end of the day everybody comes back at some point or they are willing to give you a choice despite what some think. You had Inhumans and STILL has X-Men not you only get Barry and that's it.
    You have Peter & Miles with equal treatment not here's Hal and screw the rest.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by HandofPrometheus View Post

I would like to see more diverse characters too, but with Batman I think DC has incentive to use him a great deal this video gave me a bit more perspective on it. Also I would ask who do we consider a minority character? Is Dick Grayson considered one with his romani bloodlines is Damian Wayne considered one? Bruce Wayne is white but Talia has Asian and Middle Eastern roots I think it comes down to what you emphasize sometimes with a character.

Quote Originally Posted by reni344 View Post
    Also I would ask who do we consider a minority character? Is Dick Grayson considered one with his romani bloodlines is Damian Wayne considered one? Bruce Wayne is white but Talia has Asian and Middle Eastern roots I think it comes down to what you emphasize sometimes with a character.
    Dick usually isn't brought up because it comes off as ignored in the comics and he generally just passes as a white character. Damian has the same issue, but I don't think it's to the same extent. There are artist that appear to recognize his mixed heritage. However, his mother and grandfather, in the series I've seen, usually just pass as white more often than not, Talia especially.

Trying to pass Dick off as a minority is just disingenuous, Damian though thats something else. Some artists draw him more ethnic looking, while some do not, but he is mixed.

Wy is people so OBSESSED with this topic lately

Before the marketing gimmicks of the last few years, Marvel was not very different of DC, all their A listers outside the mutantverse are white males. See the avengers movie roster, just white males and the only woman is such a B lister . And is even funnier that , because of their lack of relevant female characters outisde of the mutantverse , people where asking for this B lister character to get a solo movie to fill a female solo quota .
    Last edited by TheSeaDragon; 09-24-2017 at 05:14 PM.

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by TheSeaDragon View Post

Before the marketing gimmicks of the last few years, Marvel was not very different of DC, all their A listers outside the mutantverse are white males. See the avengers movie roster, just white males and the only woman is such a B lister . And is even funnier that , because of their lack of relevant female characters outisde of the mutantverse , people where asking for this B lister character to get a solo movie to fill a female solo quota .
    People aren't asking for Black Widow fill some imaginary quota...I think many people genuinely grew to like her due to the first Avnegers movie and Civil War.

Incredible Member

Someone help me understand why is "nu Wally" hated so much it's not like other Wally still isn't around?

I but Damian in the same boat as old Conner Hawke he's biracial but artists tend to "forget" would really like some exploration into that side. It's never really mentioned but I'm sure he likes his food a certain way etc

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by C_haos View Post
    Someone help me understand why is "nu Wally" hated so much it's not like other Wally still isn't around?

I but Damian in the same boat as old Conner Hawke he's biracial but artists tend to "forget" would really like some exploration into that side. It's never really mentioned but I'm sure he likes his food a certain way etc
    Do you read Titans? Because there lies your answer (Along with a few other things which someone else can go over with you. I'm too tired for that again)

Also, Connor is coming back soon and HOPEFULLY they won't whitewash him as much as they used.

Quote Originally Posted by TheSeaDragon View Post

This has always been a "topic" but social media has forced these issues into the spotlight.

Once again as stated here multiple times Marvel is making efforts DC is not.

I can't believe this post was created when the answers are in this thread.
    Last edited by kurenai24; 09-24-2017 at 06:36 PM.
    My priority is black female characters; everything else is secondary.

~~

Marvel: Miles Morales, Riri Williams, Ororo Munroe, Thor, Quentin Quire.
    DC Comics: Vixen, Batman, Bat Family, John Stewart, Roy Harper, Tempest, Poison Ivy, Raven.
    Comics: Y: The Last Man, Justice League America (2009), Ultimate Comics: All New Spider-Man (2011)
    Ships: Thororo/ThunderStorm, Vixen/hasn't been created, Jason Todd/Kathy Duquesne.

~~

Icon/Avatar by LoneNecromancer

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Assam View Post
    Do you read Titans? Because there lies your answer (Along with a few other things which someone else can go over with you. I'm too tired for that again)

Also, Connor is coming back soon and HOPEFULLY they won't whitewash him as much as they used.
    Haven't kept up with Titans in years too many hard/soft reboots I only ask because I do watch the Flash tv series and he seems to be okay on that