Page 3 of 46 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Sodam Yat View Post
    To be just a little bit precise, I don't think Kyle's comic issues before issue #150 counts. Only because he wasn't created as a minority/biracial character when Ron Marz created him. All of that happened in issue 150, which was in the HOG story line. So that's about over 100 issues of viewers perceiving the character as a non-minority.
    Yeah, it was definitely a retcon and he wasn't intended to be Latino by Marz. I don't really think it would have impacted his sales (at least significantly) if he'd been Latino from the start, but even so, yeah, his status as top dog here IS debatable. I mean, it's not like any of us have brought up Dick Grayson into this conversation despite him being retconned as having Romani heritage.

Quote Originally Posted by Samm View Post
    That's called moving the goal post man. This thread was created to talk about racial minorities in comics not LGBT and females. I'm well aware of how well DC handles it's female and LGBT character's compared to Mavel.
    You didn't specify race when you said diversity. My bad.

Let's not bring up team books either because the difference between DC and Marvel is even greater!! Marvel has allowed Ms Marvel, Miles, Sam, ChoHulk on the Avengers and has even given them their own team! Sunspot has led the Avengers and X-Men. Monica has led the Avengers. Storm has led the X-Men. Then of course there's Black Panther, Falcon, Luke Cage, Shang Chi... etc Damn DC is so far behind!!

Blue Beetle will never be allowed in the JL, same with Static, let alone lead a team. Hell they can't even get Titans membership!! Vixen, John, Black Lightning, Fire, Vibe or Jessica leading the League? Forget about it!! Bumblebee or Mal leading the Titans? Never going to happen. Katana or Diablo leading the Squad? Just a pipe dream. DC's diversity is being seen but not heard!
    Fair enough, although I think it's silly to act like racially diverse characters are just an after thought. Right now, an entire Justice League team is full of almost exclusively non-white men.

Look again!! Those low selling titles (apart from Luke Cage and America) are all in the 20+ range. They'll get relaunched soon. Whereas with DC when those titles get canceled, it's off to limbo with them. Hence why I started this thread.
    How is getting relaunched over and over in any way better than getting canceled for low sales? Why does Captain Marvel deserve to keep getting relaunched when she can't get consistent sales to save her life. I'm all for Marvel and DC giving characters and creators chances, but there comes a point when you have to decide whether it's worth publishing a book just because of a character's skin color.
    Last edited by TheFerg714; 09-16-2017 at 11:37 PM.
    Valiant- X-O Manowar / Bloodshot Salvation / Ninja-K / Quantum and Woody! / Shadowman / Harbinger Wars II / Brittania
    DC- Justice League / Hal Jordan and the GLC / The Flash / Aquaman / Mera / Mister Miracle / Silencer / The Terrifics
    Other- The Walking Dead / Mighty Morphin Power Rangers / Go Go Power Rangers

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Assam View Post
    Not entirely sure how DC's biases have affected Static and Steel (The former is an issue of rights to my knowledge and aside from the long-past (though excellent) 52, there hasn't been anything to really drum up interest in Steel, whose solo did end with bad sales), but if not for editorial's favoritsm, Cass would definitely and John would likely be in the 100+ club.
    I know he's not headlining the book, but isn't Steel still in Superwoman? I mean, I stopped reading after a few issues, because I just don't read Super-family books, but I liked him in the issues I read.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    I know he's not headlining the book, but isn't Steel still in Superwoman? I mean, I stopped reading after a few issues, because I just don't read Super-family books, but I liked him in the issues I read.
    He is, but being a supporting cast member in Superwoman isn't exactly doing wonders for his popularity.

Extraordinary Member

DC doesn't really seem interested in pushing much of anything except Batman and some WW,SM and Harley Quinn on the side. Then again I haven't come across a DC fan who didn't throw Blade under the bus so maybe they're audience is just less diverse too.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by CliffHanger2 View Post
    Then again I haven't come across a DC fan who didn't throw Blade under the bus so maybe they're audience is just less diverse too.
    What are you referring to? (Also, I've never read a Blade comic (I don't read too much Marvel) but his first two movies are fantastic)

Extraordinary Member

What are you referring to? (Also, I've never read a Blade comic (I don't read too much Marvel) but his first two movies are fantastic)
    I agree the 1st two are great. Just seems like any time those movies are brought up in a DC forum it's like "Oh Blade was crap." But maybe I'm just generalizing.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by CliffHanger2 View Post
    I agree the 1st two are great. Just seems like any time those movies are brought up in a DC forum it's like "Oh Blade was crap." But maybe I'm just generalizing.
    Blades comics have been trash since the early 90's the only thing that saved him was Wesley snipes movies, which saved marvel movies before the X-men.

I'm all for more diverse comics from DC but I don't want them putting out the amount of bookMarvel is because its obvious Marvel is fucking stretched thin and almost their whole line is suffering because of it. I like that more diverse characters pop up in marvel but Alot of them start to blend together because they use the same character trait over again it fucking pisses me off.

Minority, Teenage Girl, Super genius. It pisses me off how many marvel diverse characters are just the same character poured out into a another suit. Its part of the Reason I'm glad Nadia pyms book went down in flames. I hope America goes down also because that **** is aweful. Also **** Carol Danvers. She should not have been Captain marvel, That should have Been Monica Rambeau who was a much more interesting character but no one wanted to push the black girl to be Marvels Wonder Woman but they had to push the blandest white girl in comcis.

You all need to get off your high horse about DC diversity. They can do better but they also aren't putting out an extra 30 books in their core area to water down their bottom line. They are making sure Characters get their due instead of putting them out in a series to die. Also they are putting up different lines. Also People tend to forget That Damian Wayne is is Arab just because he is a light skinned Arab, like they don't exist.

He is, but being a supporting cast member in Superwoman isn't exactly doing wonders for his popularity.
    I don't know, I 've seen a lot of people wish Superwoman was a Steel solo, so there's that .

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I don't know, I 've seen a lot of people wish Superwoman was a Steel solo, so there's that .
    Well yes, but it isn't too hard to have a bigger fanbase than Lana Lang. (Half-joking. I like Lana, but still.)

Also, here I am wishing the book was Traci and Natasha's....maybe with Cir-El too.

Extraordinary Member

Blue Beetle will never be allowed in the JL, same with Static, let alone lead a team. Hell they can't even get Titans membership!!
    Which in Blue Beetles case kind of odd, if you comsider that they seem to have no problem to put him in the League or the Titans in games and animation.

Vixen, John, Black Lightning, Fire, Vibe or Jessica leading the League?
    Does the League even have a leader? I'm not really following the modern incarnation but at least the classic version had just a rotating chairman (or woman).

Forget about it!! Bumblebee or Mal leading the Titans? Never going to happen.
    Sorry but these two guys are way to obscure, but Cyborg was iirc leader of the titans

Katana or Diablo leading the Squad? Just a pipe dream. DC's diversity is being seen but not heard!
    I could see Katana, Diablo doesn't seem much of a leader. Btw. did Katana ever lead the Outsiders? At least Black Lighting did that iirc.
    Last edited by Aahz; 09-17-2017 at 12:01 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post

Btw. die Katana ever lead the Outsiders? At least Black Lighting did that iirc.
    Not sure about Katana, but Cass got to lead...for about two issues before Tomasi took over and didn't even mention her at all because of how much he loathes her.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    Which in Blue Beetles case kind of odd, if you comsider that they seem to have no problem to put him in the League or the Titans in games and animation.

Does the League even have a leader? I'm not really following the modern incarnation but at least the classic version had just a rotating chairman (or woman).

Sorry but these two guys are way to obscure, but Cyborg was iirc leader of the titans

I could see Katana, Diablo doesn't seem much of a leader. Btw. die Katana ever lead the Outsiders? At least Black Lighting did that iirc.
    Dc wants Blue beetle to be good in a solo. The will push him forever because they want it to work. Beetle is in all the cartoons because of this. I think he would be good in Teen titans as the Green lanturn Analogue .

The justice league doesn't really have a go to leader, Bruce usually lays out the initial game plan, superman is the public front man and Everyone Improvises during the mission because they are usually indepentally powerful enought to take enough risks to get results. The league isn't the Avengers who need Cap management to run properly, The members of the league get together in pairs alot of the time to take care of **** and only rolls out in full force when necessary.

Bumblebee isn't because she has to build up her street cred again because she has been left out of the titans for quite awhile until recently, And No Mal will never lead a squad of titans because he has never been that type of guy. He is a bit headstrong and likes to save people but giving out orders? naw to many distractions.

Katana needs to not come across as batshit crazy to lead a team. Waller would never let her lead the squad because Katana will listen to her husbands soul's advice above all else and Waller knows this and it could **** a mission big time. Its better to have her be the team Dps and not have her have that much responsibility.

And Also Didn't you know Black lightning is pretty much the field commander of the Outsiders when in the field. Batman pretty much only gave them mission and helped them out, he rarely went out in the field with them until later incarnations.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Desean101101 View Post
    And Also Didn't you know Black lightning is pretty much the field commander of the Outsiders when in the field. Batman pretty much only gave them mission and helped them out, he rarely went out in the field with them until later incarnations.
    As far as I remember the first leader of the Outsiders after Batman left was Geoforce, who stepped down at some point and Black Lightning took over. But it is awhile ago that I read Outsiders so I wasn't sure if I remember that correctly, and I'm also not sure who lead the team in the second series that ran from 1993 till 1995 (but Black Lighting was iirc not part of that incarnation).

Quote Originally Posted by Desean101101 View Post
    Katana needs to not come across as batshit crazy to lead a team. Waller would never let her lead the squad because Katana will listen to her husbands soul's advice above all else and Waller knows this and it could **** a mission big time. Its better to have her be the team Dps and not have her have that much responsibility.
    I hope they change Tatsu back to her pre flashpoint persona.
    Last edited by Aahz; 09-17-2017 at 12:01 PM.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by mace11 View Post
    These days comics selling 40k to 30k is really good,so you incorrect about that.It's not 80's or 90's anymore for example.
    Above 50k these days is great.
    Standards have changed.

A book in 20,000's in not in cancellation territory these days.
    Below 20k was cancellation territory a few years but now it's between below 17k to 11k.
    Standards have changed.

A book selling between 30k and 40k is not considered good for anything but indy comics and no-name characters, for DC or Marvel's better known books that is at best mediocre. And while a book in the 20k range may have more wiggle room than previously was allowed the fact is that they are still at risk barring other factors (e.g. a movie coming out or general politics); the next time the companies decide to do some house cleaning they are definitely in danger.

Simply put, none of these books are selling well.