Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Default A damn good Story Pitch for the Spider-Man Story I never knew I needed.

This is the latest video in Professor Thorgi's fun little Video Series on how if somehow he was given the reins at Marvel, how he would relaunch the new Marvel Legacy line.

His pitch for Amazing Spider-Man starts around 22:15 I think and Oh My God, it is incredible for any pro-marriage fans(or at least me) who have been wanting to see story threads from One More Day being resolved.

Spectacular Member

Its a great pitch, and something Marvel should do.. At the very least resolve Mephisto winning... That's bs and should be fixed. Marriage is secondary to me

It's kinda funny to have a deep voiced guy reading dialogue for Mary Jane.

As for the story, it seems kinda suspense-free to have everything working out for Peter. Readers happy with that outcome aren't going to care all that much about it.

The pitch also doesn't mention what happens after a reconciliation.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    That's what we call a jumping-on point

It's an excellent pitch. I for one did know that I needed it.

As for the story, it seems kinda suspense-free to have everything working out for Peter.
    I don't understand how this follows at all. Lots of great stories allow things to work out well for the protagonist from time to time. The suspense is what happens before the resolution. In this case, it's ten years of ... whatever these ten years have been.

Readers happy with that outcome aren't going to care all that much about it.
    Really? You don't think people who want Peter and MJ back together will care? I am surprised. I guess we can agree to disagree on that one.

Anything. Absolutely anything can happen after a reconciliation. It's just a reconciliation.

Wow, after watching that video, I wish this guy was in charge of Marvel Creative. His ideas for X-Men and Spider-Man are exhilarating.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Wow, I do not want to read any of that.

I mean every aspect fails to work.

And Mephisto's magic deal is broken by the sheer force of their Hallmark-movie-Christmas-miracle love? Ugh.

And then everything else in his life falls into place, why? Because he's a good guy and deserves it or some fairy-tale nonsense.

Fanfic nonsense.

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    That's what we call a jumping-on point
    Except the jumping-on point is supposed to lead to something.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

BANNED

Except the jumping-on point is supposed to lead to something.
    Exactly, and it'd be our job as readers to invest in what it would lead to. That's the whole point of speculation and discussion generated by whatever the comic supplies us with.

I fail to see why you're arguing against basic comic/reader relations 101.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuck View Post
    Wow, I do not want to read any of that.

I mean every aspect fails to work.

And Mephisto's magic deal is broken by the sheer force of their Hallmark-movie-Christmas-miracle love? Ugh.

And then everything else in his life falls into place, why? Because he's a good guy and deserves it or some fairy-tale nonsense.

Fanfic nonsense.
    ...OMD is fanfic nonsense.

Exactly, and it'd be our job as readers to invest in what it would lead to. That's the whole point of speculation and discussion generated by whatever the comic supplies us with.

...OMD is fanfic nonsense.
    Hey, now that's an insult to all the true fanfiction nonsense out there. OMD is in its own class of awfulness, well along with Sins Past.

While I would read a modern ASM where OMD had been undone, I'm not sure that the story suggested appeals to me that much.

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    While I would read a modern ASM where OMD had been undone, I'm not sure that the story suggested appeals to me that much.
    FYI everybody: for clarification purposes, I was referring to the use of classic cast members and a compromise solution between Peter the bum or Peter the billionaire, not the guy's OMD reversal formula. His formal Super Hero School for the X-Men titles idea was also pretty great though.

More eldritch than thou Venomous Mask's Avatar

deleted...
    Last edited by Venomous Mask; 09-17-2017 at 06:10 PM.
    "I should describe my known nature as tripartite, my interests consisting of three parallel and disassociated groups; a) love of the strange and the fantastic, b) love of abstract truth and scientific logic, c) love of the ancient and the permanent. Sundry combinations of these strains will probably account for my...odd tastes, and eccentricities."

This isn't a comic/ reader relations thing. This is a guy pitching a relaunch, so the perspective in determining if it's a good idea is going to be a little bit different than if you read this in a comic, which is likely produced by people who have had extensive discussions about what's happening next.

Here there is nothing but the pitch, so I find it a bit revealing that the pitch is about a major story reversal without talking about what comes next.

To put it another way, reversing One More Day is a means to an end more than an end in and of itself, since fans think the book is better with MJ in the picture. But there's no indication that this guy has given thought to that part.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Spectacular Member

Its clear in the video that the guy is a Spider-Marriage fan, even apolgizes for the pitch instead of a more general feel but in fairness, he does talk about that intitally in the vid.

I personally like all the heroes coming together and helping Peter defeat Mephisto.