Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default A damn good Story Pitch for the Spider-Man Story I never knew I needed.

This is the latest video in Professor Thorgi's fun little Video Series on how if somehow he was given the reins at Marvel, how he would relaunch the new Marvel Legacy line.

His pitch for Amazing Spider-Man starts around 22:15 I think and Oh My God, it is incredible for any pro-marriage fans(or at least me) who have been wanting to see story threads from One More Day being resolved.

Spectacular Member

Its a great pitch, and something Marvel should do.. At the very least resolve Mephisto winning... That's bs and should be fixed. Marriage is secondary to me

It's kinda funny to have a deep voiced guy reading dialogue for Mary Jane.

As for the story, it seems kinda suspense-free to have everything working out for Peter. Readers happy with that outcome aren't going to care all that much about it.

The pitch also doesn't mention what happens after a reconciliation.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    That's what we call a jumping-on point

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    That's what we call a jumping-on point
    Except the jumping-on point is supposed to lead to something.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

BANNED

Except the jumping-on point is supposed to lead to something.
    Exactly, and it'd be our job as readers to invest in what it would lead to. That's the whole point of speculation and discussion generated by whatever the comic supplies us with.

I fail to see why you're arguing against basic comic/reader relations 101.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuck View Post
    Wow, I do not want to read any of that.

I mean every aspect fails to work.

And Mephisto's magic deal is broken by the sheer force of their Hallmark-movie-Christmas-miracle love? Ugh.

And then everything else in his life falls into place, why? Because he's a good guy and deserves it or some fairy-tale nonsense.

Fanfic nonsense.
    ...OMD is fanfic nonsense.

It's an excellent pitch. I for one did know that I needed it.

As for the story, it seems kinda suspense-free to have everything working out for Peter.
    I don't understand how this follows at all. Lots of great stories allow things to work out well for the protagonist from time to time. The suspense is what happens before the resolution. In this case, it's ten years of ... whatever these ten years have been.

Readers happy with that outcome aren't going to care all that much about it.
    Really? You don't think people who want Peter and MJ back together will care? I am surprised. I guess we can agree to disagree on that one.

Anything. Absolutely anything can happen after a reconciliation. It's just a reconciliation.

Wow, after watching that video, I wish this guy was in charge of Marvel Creative. His ideas for X-Men and Spider-Man are exhilarating.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Wow, I do not want to read any of that.

I mean every aspect fails to work.

And Mephisto's magic deal is broken by the sheer force of their Hallmark-movie-Christmas-miracle love? Ugh.

And then everything else in his life falls into place, why? Because he's a good guy and deserves it or some fairy-tale nonsense.

Fanfic nonsense.

It's kinda funny to have a deep voiced guy reading dialogue for Mary Jane.
    that's a deep voice?
    troo fan or death

Spider Sense is Tingling Dangerous's Avatar

Default A Pitch For Relaunching Marvel (and Spider-Man)

Holy shock, Prof Thorgi's Spider-Man proposal is GENIUS!
    Why can't he write Spider-Man dammit?!

Urrggghhhhhh so lame we won't get something like that.
    Why don't Marvel understand,.... it would sell like crazy?

Haven't they ever heard the saying 'the customer is always right'?
    Last edited by Dangerous; 11-02-2017 at 07:07 AM.

Spider Sense is Tingling Dangerous's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post

I think Marvel is more interested in the paying customer than the non-paying one.
    You do understand ASM is selling the lowest in it's entire history right now, right?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dangerous View Post
    You do understand ASM is selling the lowest in it's entire history right now, right?
    You do understand that the entire industry has changed and the current sales estimates only cover the direct market and do not cover any of the other markets that didn't exist in previous decades like digital, trades from bookstores, and other venues, right?

People saying "Why doesn't someone else write Spider-Man so they can bring back the marriage" keep on forgetting that Slott has said numerous times that the reason the marriage isn't back is not because he refuses to write it, it's because Marvel doesn't want that to happen. He's made it clear he'd be very happy to write it when the time comes, but now's not that time. So instead, he decides to use this opportunity to write and new and different things with the character.

To me at least, I feel the ideas overall worked. "What would Peter Parker do if he was in charge of a billion-dollar corporation?" is an interesting one. So is "What if the world hated Peter Parker but loved Spider-Man?" Not to mention, pairing together Spider-Man and Mockingbird works because it's different, and unlike alot of other superhero pairings, this was actually developed and built up over this run.

He's not perfect, I think while he's great at telling stores and coming up with ideas, and the characterization in most of those can be very excellent, his biggest flaw to me personally is that he'll tend to put the story and ideas over the characters, and sometimes they come off out of character just to serve the narrative. It is disappointing whenever it happens, because I do feel he's succeeded more than he's faulted. Even in something like The Clone Conspiracy, which was probably his most recent weakest arc, has some truly great moments and ideas within.

It's because of this that I'll stick with Slott for as long as he wants to write, because at the very least he's trying to do stuff new, and I don't feel he should be blamed for something he's not allowed to do.

It's also still one of Marvel's consistently highest selling books, not to mention thanks to how much the whole industry has changed in the past few years, all comic books have been at their lowest. Also the only Spider-book that comes close to matching ASM is Venom.

I find those claims very hard to verify (and easily subject to confirmation bias, regardless of what position you take). Besides, at the end of the day, as long as Marvel is satisfied with how the sales are going, they have no motivation to return to an iteration that they have judged to be against what they believe the character should be about. (I totally disagree with them here, esp. since, IMHO, the current run is as anti-Spider-Man as I've seen and heard, but my opinion isn't exactly relevant with the Powers That Be.)

Quote Originally Posted by Inversed View Post
    People saying "Why doesn't someone else write Spider-Man so they can bring back the marriage" keep on forgetting that Slott has said numerous times that the reason the marriage isn't back is not because he refuses to write it, it's because Marvel doesn't want that to happen. He's made it clear he'd be very happy to write it when the time comes, but now's not that time. So instead, he decides to use this opportunity to write and new and different things with the character...It's because of this that I'll stick with Slott for as long as he wants to write, because at the very least he's trying to do stuff new, and I don't feel he should be blamed for something he's not allowed to do.
    I don't think he has a good handle on the character, personally, but I do agree that he's not the one to blame for the whole OMD thing. I don't find him especially kind to the pro-marriage position (if that makes any sense, for lack of better wording), but the fact that it's not longer in play was not his call.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)