Page 2 of 54 FirstFirst 1234561252 ... LastLast
    Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

My Hawks played their first game last night. I was at church and missed most of it, but caught the last 7 minutes and then watched the highlights. We didn't have any core players in this game except for Schmaltz, but he scored a goal.

The young blue liners played very well too, including Rutta and Forsling. And even though Franson scored a goal, I'm not impressed with his speed. He's slow and looks to shoot first, play defense second. Not what we need. Jokiharu looks like he's going to be good.

And what a night in net for Forsberg! This guy looked amazing from what I saw and heard after the game. He stopped 38 out of 40 shots and one of the goals he gave up was short handed. He looks like everything I was hoping for in a backup to Crow.
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

Quote Originally Posted by GrifterWC View Post
    Ottawa Senators fan here. Looking forward to the new season.
    There's so much to love about the Senators. First and foremost, they have an awesome jersey. While I admit that I liked the side-profile logo that they entered the NHL with more than the current logo, they have one of the best jerseys overall in the NHL, IMO.

Second, Erik Karlsson is the best defenceman playing in the NHL. Brent Burns is a flash in the pan, IMO. He had a great year, but Karlsson's been doing amazing for years now and should have won the Norris this past season.

Third, I wish they landed Duchene. I read recently that Dorion went pretty aggressively after Duchene, but the cost may have been Thomas Chabot and that is one guy you DO NOT trade. I hope the Sens get back their injured centres in quick fashion. Don't want those damned Leafs getting too cocky thinking they are the best Ontario team after one season

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    My concerns for the Flyers are a young and relatively untested collection of blueliners, not nearly enough consistent scoring and two average goalies in a tandem which I've never liked.
    We will find out what Nolan Patrick has to offer after tonight. I do not know why the Flyers went after Brian Elliot this off-season. After the way he let the Calgary Flames down this past playoffs, I am surprised anyone took him. I think like last season's Flames, goaltending will be the downfall of the Flyers, regardless of whatever offence and defence they can muster.

Quote Originally Posted by The Whovian View Post
    My Hawks played their first game last night. I was at church and missed most of it, but caught the last 7 minutes and then watched the highlights. We didn't have any core players in this game except for Schmaltz, but he scored a goal.

The young blue liners played very well too, including Rutta and Forsling. And even though Franson scored a goal, I'm not impressed with his speed. He's slow and looks to shoot first, play defense second. Not what we need. Jokiharu looks like he's going to be good.

And what a night in net for Forsberg! This guy looked amazing from what I saw and heard after the game. He stopped 38 out of 40 shots and one of the goals he gave up was short handed. He looks like everything I was hoping for in a backup to Crow.
    Do not get the Hawks games over here, but all I saw were the highlights. Franson is on PTO, so I doubt he will be relied upon that heavily. Hoping for big things from Chicago this upcoming season.

Forsberg? Is this the same Forsberg who was on Columbus last season?
    Find me on Instagram and Twitter - @arfguy
    https://whoaskd.com/

How cool is it that Jagr will be playing in the NHL this upcoming season? I was getting a little annoyed that a guy who is basically guaranteed to get you 3rd line 30+ points could not get a contract. This was great news.

Also, I am glad that Nail Yakupov found a spot on the Avalanche roster. There's no guarantee that he'll stick around, especially with the chances of Colorado being terrible again being a big possibility. I am just glad he found a spot. I think the team with such low expectations will be a good spot for him. I wish him all the luck.
    Find me on Instagram and Twitter - @arfguy
    https://whoaskd.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Arfguy View Post
    Do not get the Hawks games over here, but all I saw were the highlights. Franson is on PTO, so I doubt he will be relied upon that heavily. Hoping for big things from Chicago this upcoming season.

Forsberg? Is this the same Forsberg who was on Columbus last season?
    Yep. He's been great in preseason

Quote Originally Posted by Arfguy View Post
    How cool is it that Jagr will be playing in the NHL this upcoming season?
    VERY cool. And he signed for only $1 mil. Can you believe that? How dumb are the teams that didn't want him?? He's still a top 9 guy! And you know he's going to put up about 40-50 points this season. That's a bargain for $1 million. I wish the Hawks would have signed him. Always wanted to see him in a Hawks jersey.
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

SB Nation has their 2017/18 season preview out here for all the teams:
    https://www.sbnation.com/a/2017-nhl-season-preview

I have to go to church in a little bit here, but I'll read it when I get back and share my thoughts.

Also, it's official, Alex DeBrincat made the team. So our four lines will look like this:

1st line: Saad Toews Panik
    2nd line: Kane Schmaltz DeBrincat
    3rd line: Sharp Anisimov Hartman
    4th line: Hayden Kero Wingels

Top defensemen pairings:

Keith/Murphy (although I heard Q may still keep Seabs with Keith. I doubt it because that would leave the second pairing too inexperienced)
    Seabs/Kempny
    Forsling/Rutta

Wow, looking at those first three lines that we're going to roll out just makes me drool. Debrincat looks like another Panarin. If he's even close to what Panarin was, then that's a wash and we added a top scoring threat in Saad with Toews on the first line and really making it a dangerous top line with Panik mixed in there. Then the 3rd line with a healthy Sharpy, Anisimov and Hartman is going to be very good too. The 4th line is a good group of bum slayers as well.

I'm very, VERY excited for the season to start.

Lets go Pens!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jackmando7 View Post
    Lets go Pens!!!
    I hope they beat the Blues bad! BTW, I love your avatar.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

My Flyers open the season tonight in the Shark Tank. Our home opener won't be until the 14th.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

My Senators begin tomorrow hosting the Washington Capitals.

Well, that didn't take long. McDavid scored a hat trick last night to help the Oilers defeat the Flames 3-0 and defend his scoring title. It's unbelievable that this guy is only 20 still.

Darn Pens lost to the Blues. Come on Murray, how do you give up 5 goals to the Blues??

At least the Flyers beat the Sharks.

My Hawks open up tonight against the Pens. Can't wait to see how the team looks!! Hockey is back baby!!

Oh yeah, almost forgot. If you have Directv, you get NHL Center Ice for free for a week. Channels 769-787. It's the first time Directv has offered this, so if I like it, I may buy it for the whole season.

Quote Originally Posted by The Whovian View Post
    I hope they beat the Blues bad! BTW, I love your avatar.
    Hey thanks!

The wrong team won last night, but that's okay, it's the 1st game of the season. At least the Pens made a game of it despite coming out so flat. I really liked the new center, McKegg I think his name is, although from what I have heard he has been a very inconsistent player.

I also so Letang, who had just a major neck surgery, logged the most ice time.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackmando7 View Post

The wrong team won last night, but that's okay, it's the 1st game of the season. At least the Pens made a game of it despite coming out so flat.
    Yeah, I was able to catch the middle of the 2nd period to the end. Murray is normally pretty good, but he wasn't last night. One positive to take away from that loss is that the Pens still look like a high scoring team.

Hey WPP, I caught the first part of the Flyers game last night and that was a pretty sweet goal by Giroux.