Page 1 of 54 123451151 ... LastLast

Default NHL 2017-2018 - All Out Discussion

The NHL is back. Currently in the midst of pre-season games. History was made today, as the Vegas Golden Knights opened their pre-season series with a 9-4 beating of the Vancouver Canucks.

Watching VGK play, they showed a lot of promise. 2017 6th overall pick, Cody Glass, looked really strong. Alex Tuch had a strong game with speed and good hands, deftly tipping in a goal. The star of the game, though, was Tyler Wong. He scored 3 goals and an assist.

The Canucks did not look that great, but showcased some good young players in Jordan Subban and Philip Holm. Brock Boeser scored 2 goals and looked impressive.

Cannot wait for the regular season get started. It seemed to be a long time coming.
    Find me on Instagram and Twitter - @arfguy
    https://whoaskd.com/

I am so excited, that I just bought a McDavid jersey and t-shirt.

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Arfguy View Post
    I am so excited, that I just bought a McDavid jersey and t-shirt.
    SWEET! Congrats on getting it Arf! If I wasn't a Hawks fan, I would be sporting one of those jerseys too. McDavid is heck of a player!
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

According to this article, there might be more than one change on the Hawks 2nd line:
    http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports...916-story.html

Sounds like Q is tinkering with the idea of Schmaltz playing 2C with Kane and Sharp. If so, that would really make our third line very strong, with Anisimov moving down to the 3C. Still too early to say it's for sure and I would much rather see a Kane/Anisimov/DeBrincat 2nd line with a 3rd line of Sharp/Schmaltz/Hartman. But that's only if Debrincat shows he belongs in the NHL.

If he can't, then roll with Kane/Sharp and either Schmaltz or Anisimov on the 2nd line and the other one plays on the 3rd line. Either way, we're going to be rolling with three very good lines instead of just one this year. Much, MUCH more balanced this year. At least on paper.

And Murphy seems to be playing well, so that is easing my concern somewhat over losing Jelly.

BTW, thanks Arf for starting this thread.
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

I'm looking forward but not too hopeful.
    the extra skater
    Download Ferda Boys #1, a 36-page hockey webcomic.

Quote Originally Posted by extraskater View Post
    I'm looking forward but not too hopeful.
    What's your favorite team?

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

My Flyers kicked off the preseason with a 3-2 overtime loss to the Islanders yesterday. Oh, the team will officially retire Eric Lindros' #88 in a ceremony during the season.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    My Flyers kicked off the preseason with a 3-2 overtime loss to the Islanders yesterday. Oh, the team will officially retire Eric Lindros' #88 in a ceremony during the season.
    Seriously? I thought they already had?

Quote Originally Posted by The Whovian View Post
    Seriously? I thought they already had?
    Nope, they hadn't. Don't ask why, I have no idea. That should've happened years ago.

Nope, they hadn't. Don't ask why, I have no idea. That should've happened years ago.
    Wow. I guess better late than never huh?

SWEET! Congrats on getting it Arf! If I wasn't a Hawks fan, I would be sporting one of those jerseys too. McDavid is heck of a player!
    Thanks, boss. Looking forward to wearing it on opening night against the rival Flames.

According to this article, there might be more than one change on the Hawks 2nd line:
    http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports...916-story.html

Sounds like Q is tinkering with the idea of Schmaltz playing 2C with Kane and Sharp. If so, that would really make our third line very strong, with Anisimov moving down to the 3C. Still too early to say it's for sure and I would much rather see a Kane/Anisimov/DeBrincat 2nd line with a 3rd line of Sharp/Schmaltz/Hartman. But that's only if Debrincat shows he belongs in the NHL.

If he can't, then roll with Kane/Sharp and either Schmaltz or Anisimov on the 2nd line and the other one plays on the 3rd line. Either way, we're going to be rolling with three very good lines instead of just one this year. Much, MUCH more balanced this year. At least on paper.

And Murphy seems to be playing well, so that is easing my concern somewhat over losing Jelly.

BTW, thanks Arf for starting this thread.
    Word

I dunno, I thought the Anisimov-Kane tandem worked really well. Anisimov is very, very responsible defensively and had some good chemistry with Kane. Then again, I get the feeling Coach Q wants to try new things this season, so maybe that is something to expect.

What's your favorite team?
    Yeah, which team do you like extraskater?

I think Metropolitan might have some room this season. If the Flyers start off hot, they might catch the Rangers flatfooted. Despite adding the overrated Kevin Shattenkirk, I think the Rangers have basically hit the wall. They are not getting any further than the first round of the playoffs, if they make it at all.

Also: What the hell is going? Right before the season starts...

-Jason Demers gets traded to Arizona
    -David Pasternak basically waits until right before the pre-season to sign his contract
    -Joffrey Lupul accuses someone (my guess is the Leafs) of cheating the physical test results
    -Mikko Koivu just signed a 2 year, $11 million dollar contract

Crazy off-season leading to a crazy pre-season. I just watched the last period of the Leafs vs. Senators and the Senators destroyed Toronto.

Ottawa Senators fan here. Looking forward to the new season.

Quote Originally Posted by GrifterWC View Post
    Ottawa Senators fan here. Looking forward to the new season.
    Cool! Welcome to the thread!

BTW, Lazarus and East of West are two of my favorite comics

Quote Originally Posted by Arfguy View Post
    I think Metropolitan might have some room this season. If the Flyers start off hot, they might catch the Rangers flatfooted. Despite adding the overrated Kevin Shattenkirk, I think the Rangers have basically hit the wall. They are not getting any further than the first round of the playoffs, if they make it at all.
    My concerns for the Flyers are a young and relatively untested collection of blueliners, not nearly enough consistent scoring and two average goalies in a tandem which I've never liked.

Thanks. Yes, both books are fantastic.