Page 21 of 54 FirstFirst ... 1117181920212223242531 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    That they are, though I think today’s win took them out of the division basement. Currently watching the Penguins putting a 3-1 first period hurting on Boston.
    Can't believe those Bruins. Boston is among the top teams when it comes to total player games lost, with the likes of Bergeron, Krejci, Backes, etc. missing a lot of games. Here they are, absolutely chugging along. WTF?
    Find me on Instagram and Twitter - @arfguy
    https://whoaskd.com/

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Arfguy View Post
    Can't believe those Bruins. Boston is among the top teams when it comes to total player games lost, with the likes of Bergeron, Krejci, Backes, etc. missing a lot of games. Here they are, absolutely chugging along. WTF?
    Boston scored four unanswered goals in the second to take a 5-3 lead, the Malkin scored with four seconds left to cut the Bruins’ lead to 5-4. A defense optional game.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Boston scored four unanswered goals in the second to take a 5-3 lead, the Malkin scored with four seconds left to cut the Bruins’ lead to 5-4. A defense optional game.
    I love it. Even if there isn't another goal scored tonight, the average goals per game tonight will be 6.1. I am loving the high scoring NHL. Pittsburgh ended up winning in overtime.

The problem is, they keep insisting on using Lucic. There are a lot of controversial moves Chiarelli made, but the one that pisses me off the most is giving $6 million to the utterly useless Milan Lucic. This guy can't skate, shoot or make plays. He hasn't gone out and body checked the lights of the opposition that I would consider him an integral part of the team. He can't kill penalties, nor is he effective at all on the power play. I keep hoping some idiot GM will come around asking for Lucic, but he's also got some complex no-movement clause in his contract, so I doubt he's going anywhere. Next season, when McDavid's contract kicks in, I feel that Chiarelli will be forced to trade Ryan Nugent-Hopkins. I have been down on RNH in the past, but I think this season he has shown that he has grown tremendously as a player. At this point, he is a keeper, but he's got no bells-and-whistles in his contract, so he is definitely tradable.

Unlike other Oilers fans, I actually think very highly of the Flames. I did enjoy the win they got against the Ducks. Also, they did not concede that additional point to the Ducks by going to overtime. I think that Jankowski kid is definitely going to be a revelation in the league.
    I feel for RNH, guy is a good player and the Oilers are ruining him, but that seems to be the franchise M.O. over the past few years. They've got good pieces, but bad signings are going to see a lot of them leave. Lucic was especially bad. The dollars, the term, there isn't anything good about that deal.

I'm also pretty stoked about Jankowski. I was skeptical when he was drafted, but the kid has matured well.

Man, the Pens have been a really hard team to watch this year. I don't know what's up with them, maybe they are tires or have a huge target painted on their back. I realize they lost their 3rd line center, and a few other role players in Kunitz and Cullen (aka "Dad"). It's just odd to see a team go from that good to that bad. But, now that it seems Crosby is finding his game I hope things turn around for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackmando7 View Post
    Man, the Pens have been a really hard team to watch this year. I don't know what's up with them, maybe they are tires or have a huge target painted on their back. I realize they lost their 3rd line center, and a few other role players in Kunitz and Cullen (aka "Dad"). It's just odd to see a team go from that good to that bad. But, now that it seems Crosby is finding his game I hope things turn around for them.
    I think their biggest problem has been stability in net. I like Murray a lot, but maybe the Penguins thrust the number one role on him a little too quickly. I think they get plenty of offence, but their goals against is probably a concern.

I think their biggest problem has been stability in net. I like Murray a lot, but maybe the Penguins thrust the number one role on him a little too quickly. I think they get plenty of offence, but their goals against is probably a concern.
    I see what you're saying, but it's hard for me to say he didn't earn his spot after winning 2 cups. I also have to admit the defense has left him out to dry quite a bit. Letang really seems to have taken a step back, although he is quarterbacking the best power play in the NHL right now. The Pens 5v5 play has been really bad for the most part.
    Last edited by Jackmando7; 01-09-2018 at 08:54 AM.

I see what you're saying, but it's hard for me to say he didn't earn his spot after winning 2 cups. I also have to admit the defense has left him out to dry quite a bit. Letang really seems to have taken a step back, although he is quarterbacking the best power play in the NHL right now. The Pens 5v5 play has been really bad for the most part.
    I noticed a trend in the NHL these days. There is usually a big difference in age between the starting goalies and the back-up. For every veteran starting goalie, there seems to be a young back-up and vice versa. I had heard a while ago that the Penguins were maybe looking for a veteran back-up netminder. Tristan Jarry is an exceptional back-up goalie. I think he has looked great in some of the games I have seen, but maybe having a veteran goalie there might give Murray that much of a boost in confidence?

I remember a while back that the Leafs had Frederick Andersen and I cannot remember who the back-up was. When they finally got Curtis McElhinney, the team seemed to really solidify as a team. McElhinney has been all over the NHL, but the young Leafs team seemed to gain a lot of confidence in knowing that if Andersen has a bad game, a veteran goaltender could be counted on to come in and stabilize the team. Now, don't get me wrong...they did have a veteran in Niemi, but I think they were unfair to Niemi when they were playing poorly defensively.

Either way, I think the Penguins need something of a change. I don't think they've gone stagnant, but I do think they need a wake-up call.

So my Oilers lost to the Nashville Predators. The best thing to witness was the Oilers being down 2-1 in the final minute, so of course Todd MacLellan feels compelled to put Milan Lucic, because he's so clutch.

Sure enough, about 15 seconds to go, Leon Draisaitl makes a goal mouth pass and all Lucic has to do is tap it in, but because he's so slow, he can't even reach the pass. Oilers lose 2-1.

Coolcoolcool!

So my Oilers lost to the Nashville Predators. The best thing to witness was the Oilers being down 2-1 in the final minute, so of course Todd MacLellan feels compelled to put Milan Lucic, because he's so clutch.

Sure enough, about 15 seconds to go, Leon Draisaitl makes a goal mouth pass and all Lucic has to do is tap it in, but because he's so slow, he can't even reach the pass. Oilers lose 2-1.

Coolcoolcool!
    Hey, Chia wants to make sure they're getting their money's worth with the worst contract in the NHL.

I noticed a trend in the NHL these days. There is usually a big difference in age between the starting goalies and the back-up. For every veteran starting goalie, there seems to be a young back-up and vice versa. I had heard a while ago that the Penguins were maybe looking for a veteran back-up netminder. Tristan Jarry is an exceptional back-up goalie. I think he has looked great in some of the games I have seen, but maybe having a veteran goalie there might give Murray that much of a boost in confidence?

I remember a while back that the Leafs had Frederick Andersen and I cannot remember who the back-up was. When they finally got Curtis McElhinney, the team seemed to really solidify as a team. McElhinney has been all over the NHL, but the young Leafs team seemed to gain a lot of confidence in knowing that if Andersen has a bad game, a veteran goaltender could be counted on to come in and stabilize the team. Now, don't get me wrong...they did have a veteran in Niemi, but I think they were unfair to Niemi when they were playing poorly defensively.

Either way, I think the Penguins need something of a change. I don't think they've gone stagnant, but I do think they need a wake-up call.
    Well, at the start of the season the Penguins had Antti Niemi as their back up, and he did not do well at all: 16 goals against in just 3 game. Needless to say Pittsburgh became very anti-Niemi, they ended up putting him on waivers, and lost him to the Panthers. I guess he didn't do well there either since he is now with the Habs.

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

I agree with Arf, I think the problems with the Pens is Murray. His play has dropped this year. It could be back to back extra long seasons, and the wear and tear. I'm still not counting them out until they're officially done though. They just know how to get it going and elevate their play at the right time.
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

Quote Originally Posted by sirmarkus View Post
    Hey, Chia wants to make sure they're getting their money's worth with the worst contract in the NHL.
    LOL...only the Oilers organization would think they could get any money's worth out of Lucic. I would put him on the third or fourth line, if I didn't think he'd be a hindrance to those lines due to his slowness.

Well, at the start of the season the Penguins had Antti Niemi as their back up, and he did not do well at all: 16 goals against in just 3 game. Needless to say Pittsburgh became very anti-Niemi, they ended up putting him on waivers, and lost him to the Panthers. I guess he didn't do well there either since he is now with the Habs.
    ZING!

Quote Originally Posted by The Whovian View Post
    I agree with Arf, I think the problems with the Pens is Murray. His play has dropped this year. It could be back to back extra long seasons, and the wear and tear. I'm still not counting them out until they're officially done though. They just know how to get it going and elevate their play at the right time.
    They're the two-time defending Stanley Cup champs...so yeah, I wouldn't count them out until they are mathematically eliminated.

Hey, Whovian...basically Duclair for Panik. Whatcha think?

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

Hey, Whovian...basically Duclair for Panik. Whatcha think?
    I kind of like it. It helps the Hawks shed some payroll and they get younger at the same time. Panik was a healthy scratch for a couple games, so Q was losing patience with him anyway. And he has only had one goal since October 29th. So yeah, even if Duclair doesn't end up doing anything for us, it was still a good trade just to get rid of the money due to Panik. He wasn't making a LOT, but two million here or there helps.

What they REALLY need to do is trade Seabrook and his albatross of a contract to another team. Perhaps the Oilers would like him?
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

Quote Originally Posted by The Whovian View Post
    I kind of like it. It helps the Hawks shed some payroll and they get younger at the same time. Panik was a healthy scratch for a couple games, so Q was losing patience with him anyway. And he has only had one goal since October 29th. So yeah, even if Duclair doesn't end up doing anything for us, it was still a good trade just to get rid of the money due to Panik. He wasn't making a LOT, but two million here or there helps.

What they REALLY need to do is trade Seabrook and his albatross of a contract to another team. Perhaps the Oilers would like him?
    LOL...we would end up paying more, but maybe a Seabrook for Lucic trade could work for the Oilers

OK, I did not realize how dire the Blackhawks situation was...but how is it possible that the 34 year old Keith has 5 more years left on his contract and Seabrook has another 6? I get it...you gotta pay for the players that brought you 3 Cup wins in the last decade, but WOW...I can't imagine how hard those will be to work with.