Page 22 of 54 FirstFirst ... 1218192021222324252632 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Arfguy View Post
    LOL...we would end up paying more, but maybe a Seabrook for Lucic trade could work for the Oilers

OK, I did not realize how dire the Blackhawks situation was...but how is it possible that the 34 year old Keith has 5 more years left on his contract and Seabrook has another 6? I get it...you gotta pay for the players that brought you 3 Cup wins in the last decade, but WOW...I can't imagine how hard those will be to work with.
    Depends on how desperate Chiarelli gets in Edmonton. They're D is terrible, and if they can grab one of those guys with one decent year left in them they'll gleefully take the contract, even if it costs them in depth at other positions. The problem is, Edm has nothing outside of Nugent-Hopkins and draft picks that other teams might want. Too bad for Chicago though, all that winning put them in cap hell.

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

LOL...we would end up paying more, but maybe a Seabrook for Lucic trade could work for the Oilers

OK, I did not realize how dire the Blackhawks situation was...but how is it possible that the 34 year old Keith has 5 more years left on his contract and Seabrook has another 6? I get it...you gotta pay for the players that brought you 3 Cup wins in the last decade, but WOW...I can't imagine how hard those will be to work with.
    Keith's play is still pretty good and I think he can play at a good level for another two-three years. If Bowman was smart, he would trade Keith now while he still has value, so he's not in the situation that he is in now with Seabrook. Contrary to popular belief, we have really good, young d-men playing right now and more on the way (Jokiharju is only 18 years old and should break camp with the team next year and looks to be an outstanding d-man).

Seabs, on the other hand, has already declined rapidly. He's pretty much a bottom pairing guy who is okay, but you would rather not have him on the ice for more than 8-9 minutes per game. Or at all. AND, his contract is horrendous. His cap hit is almost 7 mil per year through 2023/2024. Why Bowman gave him this contract is beyond me. Even at the time when he gave it to him and he was playing well, fans and the media were shaking their heads because they knew it was a bad contract.

Unless some fool of a GM from another team decides to take on Seabs' contract, we're stuck with him. I would definitely trade you Seabs for Lucic right now in a heartbeat.
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

Quote Originally Posted by The Whovian View Post
    Keith's play is still pretty good and I think he can play at a good level for another two-three years. If Bowman was smart, he would trade Keith now while he still has value, so he's not in the situation that he is in now with Seabrook. Contrary to popular belief, we have really good, young d-men playing right now and more on the way (Jokiharju is only 18 years old and should break camp with the team next year and looks to be an outstanding d-man).

Seabs, on the other hand, has already declined rapidly. He's pretty much a bottom pairing guy who is okay, but you would rather not have him on the ice for more than 8-9 minutes per game. Or at all. AND, his contract is horrendous. His cap hit is almost 7 mil per year through 2023/2024. Why Bowman gave him this contract is beyond me. Even at the time when he gave it to him and he was playing well, fans and the media were shaking their heads because they knew it was a bad contract.

Unless some fool of a GM from another team decides to take on Seabs' contract, we're stuck with him. I would definitely trade you Seabs for Lucic right now in a heartbeat.
    I don't think a player 30 or over should ever be offered a deal longer than 3 years. You never know when exactly a decline is going to happen, but if it happens at 32 and the player has another 5 years, you're screwed cap wise unless they get badly injured and you can hide them on LTIR.

Quote Originally Posted by sirmarkus View Post
    Depends on how desperate Chiarelli gets in Edmonton. They're D is terrible, and if they can grab one of those guys with one decent year left in them they'll gleefully take the contract, even if it costs them in depth at other positions. The problem is, Edm has nothing outside of Nugent-Hopkins and draft picks that other teams might want. Too bad for Chicago though, all that winning put them in cap hell.
    I honestly did not think that Klefbom would be as bad as he has been this year. Larsson, who was never all that fast, looks even slower. Sekera is coming back from injury, so I fully excuse him not being ready to wheel and deal, but someone like Benning looks lost. The only upside has been Nurse, and personally, Russell. Nurse is big and mobile. He is lacking imagination, otherwise, I think he could be a complete defenceman right now. He can skate and has a good shot. He just lacks the desire to make offensive plays. He can rush the puck, but rarely is inclined to do so.

Russell is not meant to be a top defenceman for the league, nor the Oilers. It should be guys like Larsson, Klefbom and Sekera. However, Kris Russell usually comes across as the one guy doing what needs to be done. The fact that Russell is in the top of the Oilers defenceman scoring is just so sad.

I don't think they should do anything. I would just recommend buying out Lucic's contract and let him go wherever he wants, but that would basically guarantee Chiarelli's firing, so he isn't about to do that. I think the Oilers should just ride out the season and do better next season.

I'm not even kidding, I would do a Seabrook for Lucic, one for one. Seabrook may not be doing much, but I would much rather have him than Lucic on this team.

I don't think a player 30 or over should ever be offered a deal longer than 3 years. You never know when exactly a decline is going to happen, but if it happens at 32 and the player has another 5 years, you're screwed cap wise unless they get badly injured and you can hide them on LTIR.
    Agreed. In a cap-era NHL, it is a bad move.
    Find me on Instagram and Twitter - @arfguy
    https://whoaskd.com/

Yep

I'm not even kidding, I would do a Seabrook for Lucic, one for one. Seabrook may not be doing much, but I would much rather have him than Lucic on this team.
    SOLD! I'll even throw in a bag of pucks
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

Just watched the tail end of the Detroit-Pittsburgh game. I am trying to figure out why Detroit is so bad. Too many old players? Goaltending has been average? Not enough scoring from the defence? I wonder. They've got a lot of good, young forwards and some veteran ones, too.

Also: did you all see the way Carolina lost against Washington last night? That's gotta suck.

The thought that someone like Andreas Athanasiou could be available prior to the trade deadline is astonishing to me. Detroit has really crapped the bed when it comes to their contracts:

http://www.thehockeynews.com/news/ar...-hall-of-famer

Just watched the tail end of the Detroit-Pittsburgh game. I am trying to figure out why Detroit is so bad. Too many old players? Goaltending has been average? Not enough scoring from the defence? I wonder. They've got a lot of good, young forwards and some veteran ones, too.
    Just not enough talent

Also: did you all see the way Carolina lost against Washington last night? That's gotta suck.
    Yes, and I would go ballistic if that happened to the Hawks. But that's why you play for 60 minutes. I think Carolina was thinking OT and let up a little. Can't do that.

I forgot to mention earlier that Duclair looked very sharp last night in his debut for the Hawks. He's very fast and has a lot of skill with puck handling. I can't believe he hasn't put it together by now and become a very good player in the league.

Just not enough talent

Yes, and I would go ballistic if that happened to the Hawks. But that's why you play for 60 minutes. I think Carolina was thinking OT and let up a little. Can't do that.

I forgot to mention earlier that Duclair looked very sharp last night in his debut for the Hawks. He's very fast and has a lot of skill with puck handling. I can't believe he hasn't put it together by now and become a very good player in the league.
    When you consider his best year was also playing with Max Domi when Domi was doing well, it might explain it. Domi had missed a lot of games last season due to injuries and this year, he missed some due to injuries, as well. He wasn't doing great this year, either. Weird that Domi and Duclair were on the same line, since I think they are both left wingers, but somehow they were on the same line. You would think that Duclair or Domi would get paired up with Keller this year, but even Keller is a winger, I think. The Coyotes may have had him at centre, however.

Anyways...I think Duclair can be a much better player than what's been shown, thus far. I am hoping he can sign a low-dollar contract with the Blackhawks and really shine.

6.1 goals per game for the night, so far. Let's keep that high scoring NHL going.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

The Flyers returned from their break to beat New Jersey 5-3 last night behind two goals by Sean Couturier (now at 25) who, in my humble opinion, had been robbed after losing out on an All-Star Game bid.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

So my Hawks just actually lost to Detroit this morning. DETROIT. A terrible team who just played last night and had to turn around and play us this morning. We didn't play yesterday. Yet, we lose 4-0. This is simply inexcusable. You just can't lose to teams like this, especially when you're right there fighting for the last WC spot.

I love Q for what he's done in the past. I love my Hawks. But I think it might be time to blow it up and make some radical moves. If we're not solidly in the WC spot, Bowman needs to get some things done via trade. Get rid of Seabs, even if you have to throw in a nice prospect to get a team to take on his contract. And I am DONE with Toews. All we fans kept hearing from Q, Bowman and the rest of management was "We just need to get him some good wingers on the first line and he'll be fine". Well, we got him Saad back and Hinostroza was lighting it up until Q bumped him down and gave his spot to Duclair and he's STILL not doing enough worthy of that contract. If Toews doesn't do something over the next four weeks, Bowman needs to trade Toews. It would free up a LOT of cap space and bring back some good prospects/draft picks. Or better yet, trade Toews to some team if they take Seabs too and give us a smaller return.

I'm sick of this team under-performing. There's too much talent on this team to not be winning more games. We have been knocked out of the first rd the last two years and now it looks like we won't even MAKE the playoffs this year. It's completely unacceptable.

And if they do end up making some radical trades like Toews, then they need to trade Crow as well. He's still a very good goalie, but I would rather get rid of his contract and trade for a younger, cheaper goalie with talent. Who knows, maybe Forsberg ends up being that guy?

Anyway, sorry for the rant, but I'm just sick and tired of watching these guys play like garbage against teams they should be steam rolling.

Sorry to hear man, but I wouldn't count the Hawks out yet. With guys like Toews and Kane there they could go on a run at any time. On the other hand, my team just moved into 2nd in the Pacific with their 7th straight win! Go Flames!

Sorry to hear man, but I wouldn't count the Hawks out yet. With guys like Toews and Kane there they could go on a run at any time. On the other hand, my team just moved into 2nd in the Pacific with their 7th straight win! Go Flames!
    Flames are playing well. And Gaudreau has been tearing it up. Trade you Toews for him straight up

Personally speaking, I think it would do the Hawks good to miss the playoffs this season. I really do think that multiple deep Cup runs, leading to 3 wins, may have really taken a toll on this team.

As for the Flames, man they've been hot. Good for them and I give huge props to Mike Smith. This guy plays with so much passion and intensity in net, you can't help but feed off it. I was initially annoyed that the Flames did not go hard for Marc-Andre Fleury, but now I am very happy to see them with Smith between the pipes.

Speaking of hot...how about the Avalance? Nathan MacKinnon is playing as he intends to carry the team into the playoffs on his lonesome. It's easy to forget that the Avalance has been playing a while now without Tyson Barrie.