Page 24 of 54 FirstFirst ... 1420212223242526272834 ... LastLast

WOW! Had to stop watching. It's 4-0 Buffalo.
    Find me on Instagram and Twitter - @arfguy
    https://whoaskd.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Arfguy View Post
    5-0 Final... What is wrong with this team? They have some solid pieces, they have the guy that in the next few years will become the best player in the league, and they get pounded by bad teams on a regular basis. I think this is at least the third time this month they've allowed 5 goals... I wonder if there isn't some major issues in the room up in Edmonton?

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

The Flyers' first visit to the Red Wings new digs was successful as the Orange and Black won 3-2 in overtime last night.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

i really do think that missing the playoffs will do wonders for the Hawks. I think it'll make them hungry to play better. It will give them more rest. I know that they got swept last season, but I think they need to regain their hockey vitality. Right now, they look like they may be going through the motions.

Can I brag a little bit about myself and the Oilers? I always pride myself on being a huge hockey nerd. Statistics and standings are a big thing for me. I try to be aware of it as much as I can. So when I think a line combination is not working, I feel it comes from an analysts's perspective, rather than as a fans.

I had been festering for months now, wondering why MacLellan keeps pairing slow-ass Lucic with McDavid. I don't know why no one was putting together the idea that if Lucic was going to contribute anything to this year's Oilers, it would probably be playing wing with Draisaitl. Also, I saw Puljujarvi had basically zero chemistry with McDavid. Puljujarvi has a great shot, but unlike a player like Laine or Tarasenko, Pool Party still has not gained enough confidence to take an imperfect pass and make it into a lethal scoring chance. It was obvious that Draisaitl was a much better passer than McDavid and he saw the ice so much better. I was basically tearing my hair out, hoping MacLellan would either wise up or end up so desperate for scoring chances that when all else failed, he might pair up Draisaitl and Puljujarvi. Sure enough, RNH goes down with an injury and the lines have to be shuffled. First game with Draisaitl at centre and Puljujarvi on his wing...1 goal, 2 assists for Pool and 1 goal, 1 assist for Draisaitl. Of course, Lucic had gotten a couple of cheapie assists, but that was more about him basically having a puck bounce off his stick and onto more talented players.

I knew it and I can't help but pat myself on the back. Now if only Chiarelli would wise up and make a low-level trade to Ottawa to get either Mike Hoffman or Ryan Dzingle to play on McDavid's wings, I will finally have enough credibility to start asking the city's TV stations for a hockey analyst job
    I agree with you Arf, the Oilers have not done a good job of putting players on the first line with McDavid who are in sync with him and can gel together. If not in house, then they need to make some trades.
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

I saw some of the game highlights. Looked like Talbot had a bad night, getting pulled in the 2nd. Arf, what do you think the Oilers need to contend?
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

Quote Originally Posted by sirmarkus View Post
    5-0 Final... What is wrong with this team? They have some solid pieces, they have the guy that in the next few years will become the best player in the league, and they get pounded by bad teams on a regular basis. I think this is at least the third time this month they've allowed 5 goals... I wonder if there isn't some major issues in the room up in Edmonton?
    They've got no heart. They have no pride. Basically, every single player on this team (McDavid included) is not yet embarrassed to be bad. I have heard shit all about accountability and urgency. In their play, you see no sense of "Oh shit! This is bad!" All I see are players who made the playoffs last year and thinks they are still the same team and any time they want, they can go on a tear and make the playoffs. This team is arrogant and thinks they are better than they are.

Quote Originally Posted by The Whovian View Post
    I agree with you Arf, the Oilers have not done a good job of putting players on the first line with McDavid who are in sync with him and can gel together. If not in house, then they need to make some trades.
    Thanks boss. The thing with McDavid is...he needs to realize he has to shoot. Example...he was on a 2-on-1 with Caggiula against Vancouver. You will not see this in the highlights, because it was a nothing play. Caggiula passed McDavid the puck and McDavid, for some reason, tried to pass the puck immediately back to Caggiula...I guess hoping the catch the goalie off guard and Caggiula would have an open net. Well, that didn't happen since the defender got the stick in the way and the pass went awry. McDavid basically had a free pass to the net to take it hard or shoot, but he opted to pass. Your team is out of the playoffs and you've got more goals than Caggiula. Take the shot or take the puck to the net. Stop trying to make everyone else around you better and try and get your team the win.

I saw some of the game highlights. Looked like Talbot had a bad night, getting pulled in the 2nd. Arf, what do you think the Oilers need to contend?
    Talbot has been average this season. Unfortunately, it seems like it is too much to ask, but he really needs to stand on his head to bail out this disoriented defence core. He will basically need to come to the conclusion that no one is going to help him out and he has to do it all himself. The defence core has regressed so much that not even Martin Brodeur could win 30. I think what the Oilers need to do is consider this season a loss. Either trade away Letestu and Maroon, or let them walk. They need to part ways with Caggiula, because he is not cutting it. They need to find a few grinder type guys...players who are hungry for a spot in the NHL. Get a few of those guys that show effort in training camp. They need to find a low-cost winger who can actually skate to play with McDavid. Someone who will try to go to the net with his stick on the ice and willing to get their face re-arranged to score a goal. A player like Jake Guentzel or Zach Hyman. Hard working players who want to fight every night.

Most of all, someone needs to sit down with McDavid and say "9 times out of 10, the puck is going to be on your stick. We need you to carry the play. If you have an open lane to the net, shoot or drive. Do not look for a better option. We need you to take care of yourself and worry about everyone else afterwards. We need you to be more selfish and it is okay if you do."

That's what I think the Oilers need to contend.

WOW, I am exhausted from all that typing

They've got no heart. They have no pride. Basically, every single player on this team (McDavid included) is not yet embarrassed to be bad. I have heard shit all about accountability and urgency. In their play, you see no sense of "Oh shit! This is bad!" All I see are players who made the playoffs last year and thinks they are still the same team and any time they want, they can go on a tear and make the playoffs. This team is arrogant and thinks they are better than they are.
    You basically just described the Hawks. They think they can win games just by showing up.

You basically just described the Hawks. They think they can win games just by showing up.
    The difference between your team and mine is that your team has basically won everything there is to win. Three Stanley Cups. Art Ross and Hart Trophy for Patrick Kane. Two Norris trophies for Duncan Keith. Conn Smythe trophies for Toews, Kane and Keith.

All of this before the cap punished them for rewarding the players who won them everything. If any team was allowed to say outloud "We won everything, so we can slack off all we want!", it's the Blackhawks, along with Pittsburgh, Los Angeles, and Detroit.

My team hasn't won shit since 1990. They have a player that everyone wants and have had 4 different first overall picks to build with. The Edmonton Oilers do not have the right to slack off.

The difference between your team and mine is that your team has basically won everything there is to win. Three Stanley Cups. Art Ross and Hart Trophy for Patrick Kane. Two Norris trophies for Duncan Keith. Conn Smythe trophies for Toews, Kane and Keith.

All of this before the cap punished them for rewarding the players who won them everything. If any team was allowed to say outloud "We won everything, so we can slack off all we want!", it's the Blackhawks, along with Pittsburgh, Los Angeles, and Detroit.

My team hasn't won shit since 1990. They have a player that everyone wants and have had 4 different first overall picks to build with. The Edmonton Oilers do not have the right to slack off.
    The only team the Oilers show up against is my Flames. It's driving me nuts.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

The Flyers' win streak was snapped hard by Tampa Bay as they won 5-1 behind stellar goaltending by Andy Vaseline (Andrei Vasilevskiy, I can't pronounce his last name).
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

True. I really thought they would have more to show for those four picks.

Quote Originally Posted by sirmarkus View Post
    The only team the Oilers show up against is my Flames. It's driving me nuts.
    LOL. Sorry sirmarkus. I'm not laughing at you. Just at what you said.

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    The Flyers' win streak was snapped hard by Tampa Bay as they won 5-1 behind stellar goaltending by Andy Vaseline (Andrei Vasilevskiy, I can't pronounce his last name).
    I wouldn't feel too bad about losing to the Lightning. I still say they're one of the two best teams in the league this year.

My Hawks won last night, beating Detroit 5-1. I still think their season is over, but it's always nice to pound Detroit. And it looks like Q has finally found some great line matches.

1st line had Toews/DeBrincat/Duclair (7 points total) This line looked amazing last night and not just because they scored a lot. That's a lot of speed on ice and they showed it. I think Duclair might be a gread addition to this team long term, and DeBrincat scored his second hat trick of the season and now has 17 goals (32 points total in 49 games). Hard to believe he just turned 20.

2nd line had Kane/Schmaltz/Saad (2 points) Even though they didn't show up on the stat sheet a lot, they looked great together and were skating all over the place well. Now Q needs to stick with these two lines for a long time and see what they can do over a long period of time.

My only gripe with Q right now is that he's not playing Murphy enough. From SCH:

Connor Murphy’s numbers:
    A 60% share of Corsi events while on the ice at 5-on-5 (best among Chicago defensemen) and a 7-3 advantage in high-danger chances while he was on the ice. In the month of January, Murphy has been on the ice for TWO goals against while playing about 120 minutes of even-strength ice time in the nine games he’s skated in 2018.

And:

Niklas Hjalmarsson– 24 games, -4, 4 assists

Connor Murphy– 44 games, +9, 1 goal and 9 assists

That was a sneaky good trade by Bowman. So was getting Duclair. He needs to keep making those. If he can dump Seabs' contract this off season, the Hawks will have a lot more cap space to work with, and with a healthy Crow and the young players having more experience, I think the Hawks can get back to winning in 2018/2019 season.

I watched the game the Leafs played against the Hawks...Murphy was absolutely solid. He plays a strong game and he's a big body. Once again, the League is punishing Stan Bowman for putting together an excellent organization.

I still think that the salary cap needs to be looked at again, to ensure that teams that draft smart and make good trades should not be punished. Cap should not count towards players you draft. The cap should only exists for free agent signings and trades. You should be able to give any amount of money and terms to the players you draft. You want to lock-up a Sidney Crosby and Evgeni Malkin for the next 7 years at $15 million each per year? Does not count towards the cap at all.

sirmarkus...sorry bud. I really do respect the Flames. As a team and as an organization. I wish them all the luck for the rest of the season and I hope they have a healthy run in the playoffs. It is kind of puzzling why Edmonton seems to put in an actual effort against Calgary and no other teams in the NHL.

It seems that the first loss after winning 10 games in a row has bit Colorado a bit. I think they can make a nice run towards the end...especially if they hold on to Tyson Barrie when he comes back. I say Sakic stands pat and does not make any trades.

The Bruins are still going strong, despite losing Marchand. I swear, I hate Brad Marchand. That was a dirty, dirty hit to Johansson's head. Johansson just came back from a long-term injury, which I heard was a concussion, as well. Fucking Marchand.

I still think that the salary cap needs to be looked at again, to ensure that teams that draft smart and make good trades should not be punished. Cap should not count towards players you draft. The cap should only exists for free agent signings and trades. You should be able to give any amount of money and terms to the players you draft. You want to lock-up a Sidney Crosby and Evgeni Malkin for the next 7 years at $15 million each per year? Does not count towards the cap at all.
    I proposed something similar to this last year. There should be essentially two caps that make up one overall cap.

"Soft Cap" is for the team's own drafted and traded players. You can give as much as you want for any player you draft or trade for (this way if you draft well, or make good trades, you're not penalized for it). You still have a cap (otherwise contracts would get out of hand), but the soft cap is much higher. Say $125 million. This can go up or down depending on the previous year's sales, etc. But there should definitely be a high floor. Nothing like the current $74 mil or whatever it is. That's ridiculous. Another $50 mil would be more than enough to sign your own players and keep them.

Then a Hard Cap only for the free agents the team signs. This cap should be relatively low.This allows two things:
    1. The team that drafts the player has a better shot at retaining them.
    2. A team with a billionaire owner can't just sign a bunch of free agents at any amount so they can buy a championship.

This would be a hard cap that a team can NOT go over, like the one we currently have. I'm just throwing this amount out there but it could be different. Let's say $20 mil (could even be lower, like $15). Again, the hard cap is only for free agents, not the players the team drafts or trades for. Also, this money must be allocated to more than one player with one exception. You can give the highest amount ($20 mil) to the player just one year of the contract, and after that, the amount goes down in respect to the length of the contract. The reason being is this would keep the salaries still reasonable.

So say for example, a player like McDavid became a free agent. His team has the right to offer him as much as they want. But he can refuse and sign with another team, however, that team can only sign him to $20 mil at the most for the first year, and then after that, it starts going down (maybe in the second year the most could be $15 mil, then $10 mil, etc, etc.). The higher you sign a free agent, the less you can give him in subsequent years, and you can't give the same player a one year deal in back to back years. All this could be hashed out by some cap guru.

So if a team like the Hawks drafts well, they can spend up to $125 mil on them (that's more than enough) and if they happen to need that final piece to really make their team great, like a d-man or a forward, then they can spend up to $20 mil, but more likely they sign them to a deal like 5 years at 10 AAV. They still would have another $10 mil to spend on another free agent or $10 mil on two free agents ($6 mil to one, and $4 to the other one).

Or the NHL could say in regards to the hard cap, you can only sign two free agents per year.

In any case, there should be two separate caps. The soft cap for your own players, and a hard cap for free agents you sign.
    Last edited by The Whovian; 01-27-2018 at 02:43 PM.

Definitely like your ideas there, Whovian. The current cap system is too restrictive.

Anyone else watch and enjoy the All-Star Game?

Definitely like your ideas there, Whovian. The current cap system is too restrictive.

Anyone else watch and enjoy the All-Star Game?
    Yeah, it was fun. Lot of pucks hitting posts. I think 6 or 7 of them. Kucherov was great, snagging a hat trick.

I also watched some of the skills comp., but not all of it. I like watching the speed and hardest shot portion. Without Weber there, I figured it would be interesting and it was. Ovie ended up with the hardest shot (101.3).

And I pretty much figured that McDavid would win the fastest skater. What DID surprise me was just how fast Eichel was. I knew he was fast, but not that fast. Impressive.