Page 32 of 54 FirstFirst ... 2228293031323334353642 ... LastLast

I think the Hawks are positioning themselves for the draft. With Nashville's pick they can package it with a player and maybe move up? I know they'd love to dump some salary, and if they can do it with a pick and get a prospect or something in return, that could help them come free agency.

I'm actually really happy my Flames were quiet today. If Stewart can contribute like he did with the Blues a few years back, even for the tail end of the year, I'm happy.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Arfguy View Post
    It's insane. Like...how?!?! This is a team that is playing so well. It's got a lot to do with the revitalized Claude Giroux. Sean Couturier becoming a star at centre. Voracek basically becoming a set-up god! Also a lot of production from their defencemen double dragons of Provarov and Gostisbere!
    Don't forget stellar play in net from Brian Elliott and Michal Neuvirth until they were injured. Now Petr Mrazek has stepped in to keep the roll going.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Once upon a time, the Flyers lost ten straight and were deader than Dracula. Tonight, they beat Montreal 1-0 in a shootout to move to the top of the Metropolitan division. Can’t say I saw THAT coming!
    I thought they had a good team and had a shot at one of the WC spots. But yeah, I didn't see that either. But they have been playing extremely well.

As for the Hartman trade? I honestly don't know about that one, from a Chicago perspective. Let's say they pick 25th overall...are they hoping for someone better than Hartman? I understand that he may have fell out of favour with Quenneville, but that trade makes zero sense to me.
    I don't think they made the trade just for the pick. Hartman regressed this year and was taking bad penalties, which resulted in him being in Q's doghouse. His minutes went down and his numbers are way down from last year as well.

Bowman said he had no intention of trading him but the offer they received from the Preds was just too good to pass up. Not only did they get that 1st rd pick, but they also received a very nice prospect as well.

My thoughts? The Hawks have two 1st rd picks now, and I think Bowman will use the pick from the Preds to move up into one of the top three spots. The Yotes currently have the #1 overall pick and the Hawks the #8 overall pick. The Yotes are so far away from contention that they might prefer to have more picks. The Hawks really need that young, great d-man and Dahlin fits that bill. But even if the Hawks can't get up to the top spot, they could still move up and get Evan Bouchard. Or if they want to go offense, they could go after Andrei Svechnikov or Brady Tkachuk (who some scouts say is a better version of his older brother).
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

*Deep breath...*

Here's my assessment:

Edmonton Oilers - Personally, I think they could have gotten maybe another late rounder for Maroon, but whatever they landed was sufficient, IMO. In retrospect, they should have gotten more for Taylor Hall. Anyways...here's hoping that the Oilers learn how to draft better. Or maybe Chiarelli's plan is to package picks for roster players/prospects. I don't know.

Tampa Bay Lightning - Probably made some of the boldest moves this trade deadline. Too bad they lost Namestnikov.

Chicago Blackhawks - I just read on the Hockey News that one of the players coming back to Chicago as part of the Hartman trade is Victor Edjsell. Apparently, he's supposed to be pretty good.

Winnipeg Jets - Looks like they feel pretty good about their team, as they got Paul Stasny from St. Louis.

Calgary Flames - I am also glad that Calgary did not go on a crazy spree, trying to trade for roster players. I think they can squeeze into the playoffs, provided that Mike Smith returns to health pretty soon.

San Jose Sharks - I honestly don't think that highly of Evander Kane, but I think they did not give up too much for him.

Anaheim Ducks - I have no idea what their plan was. Weird frikkin' moves.

Vancouver Canucks - Fail! I really think they could have gotten a lot more for Vanek than they did.
    Find me on Instagram and Twitter - @arfguy
    https://whoaskd.com/

*Deep breath...*

Here's my assessment:

Edmonton Oilers - Personally, I think they could have gotten maybe another late rounder for Maroon, but whatever they landed was sufficient, IMO. In retrospect, they should have gotten more for Taylor Hall. Anyways...here's hoping that the Oilers learn how to draft better. Or maybe Chiarelli's plan is to package picks for roster players/prospects. I don't know.
    I didn't like the trade at the time the Oilers made and it looks even worse now. They never should have traded him. And if they were deadset on trading him, they should have received more for him.

Tampa Bay Lightning - Probably made some of the boldest moves this trade deadline. Too bad they lost Namestnikov.
    They are the #1 team to beat with the trade they made. Them and Toronto are the two best teams, IMO.

Namestnikov started out great back in October and November, then tailed off and really slowed down after that. He was playing so poorly, he went from the top line down to the 3rd and 4th line. I don't think losing him was all that bad.

Chicago Blackhawks - I just read on the Hockey News that one of the players coming back to Chicago as part of the Hartman trade is Victor Edjsell. Apparently, he's supposed to be pretty good.
    It was a good trade. A lot of the Preds fans think they gave up way too much for Hartman. I can't say I disagree with them. The 1st and 4th rd picks were awesome, and Victor was icing on the cake. He'll be a top 6 forward.

Winnipeg Jets - Looks like they feel pretty good about their team, as they got Paul Stasny from St. Louis.
    They're one of the best teams in the WC. Their goal tending has been the difference this year.

San Jose Sharks - I honestly don't think that highly of Evander Kane, but I think they did not give up too much for him.
    I like the trade the Sharks made. Kane will bring some potent offense to their team and it might be enough to go far. The playoffs are going to be really tight this year. And you're right, they didn't have to give up much for him, so it really was a good trade on their part.

I don't think they do either
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

*Deep breath...*

Here's my assessment:

Calgary Flames - I am also glad that Calgary did not go on a crazy spree, trying to trade for roster players. I think they can squeeze into the playoffs, provided that Mike Smith returns to health pretty soon.

Vancouver Canucks - Fail! I really think they could have gotten a lot more for Vanek than they did.
    I really like what Pit, NYR, Bos, and Philly did.

*Deep breath...*

Here's my assessment:

Edmonton Oilers - Personally, I think they could have gotten maybe another late rounder for Maroon, but whatever they landed was sufficient, IMO. In retrospect, they should have gotten more for Taylor Hall.
    The Oilers mismanaged Hall from the get go. I think he should have spent a couple years in the AHL to mature a bit and round out his game. I read a recent interview where he stated that he didn't even want to listen to his coaches in Edmonton. From that perspective he had to go, but the return was terrible, especially with how well Hall is playing in NJD.

Quote Originally Posted by sirmarkus View Post
    The Oilers mismanaged Hall from the get go. I think he should have spent a couple years in the AHL to mature a bit and round out his game. I read a recent interview where he stated that he didn't even want to listen to his coaches in Edmonton. From that perspective he had to go, but the return was terrible, especially with how well Hall is playing in NJD.
    The thing I always hated about Taylor Hall's play when he was with the Oilers was that he kept trying to do the same thing, over and over. He'd skate fast down the board and then get slammed right into the board by the defender. He'd pick himself up and try again. He came across as a dumb player and I am fine with him being gone. I will admit...the rest of the league really likes the guy, so in retrospect, the Oilers management could have used that to get more out of New Jersey.

Anyways, what's done is done. My Oilers lost again. (Heavy sarcasm coming up) I was so glad that the lines were again the very speedy Connor McDavid being paired with the even faster Milan Lucic. I think the coaching staff should be commended and I think we are on the verge of fighting for a wildcard spot.

Also: does St. Louis have any goaltending whatsoever? Minnesota put up 8 goals tonight. Eric Stall had 5 points, topped off with a hat trick.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackmando7 View Post
    I really like what Pit, NYR, Bos, and Philly did.
    Well, they say that sometimes, the best move is the one you don't make. By not trading for a rental mercenary, GM Ron Hextall showed faith in his roster, especially all the young players, and that the team can make some noise in the postseason.

Anyways, what's done is done. My Oilers lost again. (Heavy sarcasm coming up) I was so glad that the lines were again the very speedy Connor McDavid being paired with the even faster Milan Lucic. I think the coaching staff should be commended and I think we are on the verge of fighting for a wildcard spot.
    Kevin Weeks and the others on NHLN were talking about this last night. They said the same thing you've been saying since the start of the season--they need to get some different players to play on the top line with McDavid. They basically said the Oilers are wasting McDavid because he's the human rocket and none of his current teammates can play with him and it's not working.

Well, they say that sometimes, the best move is the one you don't make. By not trading for a rental mercenary, GM Ron Hextall showed faith in his roster, especially all the young players, and that the team can make some noise in the postseason.
    Philly and Washington are the two teams I dont want the Pens to face in the 1st round. You could add Tampa to that list too.

Quote Originally Posted by The Whovian View Post
    Kevin Weeks and the others on NHLN were talking about this last night. They said the same thing you've been saying since the start of the season--they need to get some different players to play on the top line with McDavid. They basically said the Oilers are wasting McDavid because he's the human rocket and none of his current teammates can play with him and it's not working.
    Whovian...even someone who hasn't watched a single game of hockey and goes just by stats could tell you that if you want someone to play on Connor McDavid, you do not play a guy who isn't even in the top 5 in goal scoring. McDavid (bless his soul) is always trying to pass first. Well, if you're smart, you get someone who can actually put the puck in the net. You do not keep putting a guy on the wing who hasn't scored in 27 games.

A purely stats person can recognize the flaw in this logic and I'm watching about 80% of the Oilers games. Lucic looks like he's skating in quicksand.

Today, I saw something where McLellan is saying his priority is to get Lucic going. I...I'm at a loss for words!

Quote Originally Posted by Jackmando7 View Post
    Philly and Washington are the two teams I dont want the Pens to face in the 1st round. You could add Tampa to that list too.
    Penguins are looking horrible tonight. Boston has put up 5 goals. Penguins are trying to keep up and have scored 3 themselves. The game has not even reached the second period yet! LOL

The Flyers are having a tough time against Carolina as they’re down 3-0 going into the third period.

The Flyers are having a tough time against Carolina as they’re down 3-0 going into the third period.
    Yeah. In fairness, if Carolina got dependable goaltending from the beginning of the season, they would be in the thick of the playoff race instead of on the outside looking in.

Also: it is now a rout in Boston. Bruins up 7-3 against Pittsburgh with 5 mnutes remaining in the second period. Krejci with a hat trick.

My Hawks got waxed last night against the Sharks. They played so poorly it wasn't even funny. Their defense looks atrocious. Felt bad for Berube. But then again, he shouldn't be in net. Forsberg should be.

I just don't get what Q is thinking by not giving Forsberg as many games as possible the rest of the season to know what you have in him. Doesn't make sense.