Page 7 of 54 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast
    Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Arfguy View Post
    They were also the first expansion team in the NHL to get some really promising players, so it kind of makes sense that they have a pretty solid foundation.
    Yep. Just getting Fleury and Neal was two big time players. Especially Fleury. How many teams can say they have an elite goalie like that and bam! They get one. Plus all the other players they drafted.

It's not surprising really that they're playing so well. I don't think they can keep this up, but they're not going to be a pushover by no means either.
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

Anyone else dislike the new off sides challenge rule? I get that there was too many times where coaches were challenging the goals and it was slowing down the game. But to penalize a team when one goal could make the difference between a win or a loss? Bad enough that the goal is upheld. But now that team get to go on the PP too. I don't like it. Just too much of a momentum changer.

I would have changed the rule to this--You get one challenge per game that you can use and no matter what the ruling, you're not penalized, but you lose your timeout. That's it. I just think getting assessed a penalty for losing a challenge is too harsh.
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

My Flyers were burned Tuesday night by a new rule that said an unsuccessful challenge results in a penalty, and head coach Dave Hakstol's challenge of an offsides call late in the third period against Nashville that he got wrong led to a power play that helped the Preds skate to a 6-5 win.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    My Flyers were burned Tuesday night by a new rule that said an unsuccessful challenge results in a penalty, and head coach Dave Hakstol's challenge of an offsides call late in the third period against Nashville that he got wrong led to a power play that helped the Preds skate to a 6-5 win.
    See my post above your's

Wow, I thought the Hawks were up against the cap. The Wild's Zach Parise and Mikael Granlund are injured and won't be able to play tonight. But with only $200,000 in cap space, the Wild can't even bring up a forward from the minors, so they have to play a defenseman on that line. That's not good.

Boudreau said he might roll with three lines and constantly rotate them. Uh....yeah, I wish he would. By the start of the 3rd period, those guys would be gassed and the Hawks would be skating circles around them. Please, PLEASE, do that Boudreau.

Quote Originally Posted by The Whovian View Post
    Wow, I thought the Hawks were up against the cap. The Wild's Zach Parise and Mikael Granlund are injured and won't be able to play tonight. But with only $200,000 in cap space, the Wild can't even bring up a forward from the minors, so they have to play a defenseman on that line. That's not good.

Boudreau said he might roll with three lines and constantly rotate them. Uh....yeah, I wish he would. By the start of the 3rd period, those guys would be gassed and the Hawks would be skating circles around them. Please, PLEASE, do that Boudreau.
    LOL. Yeah, I read that too. Man, this cap is sure hurting some teams.
    Find me on Instagram and Twitter - @arfguy
    https://whoaskd.com/

Just got done watching the Penguins vs. Lightning game. By far one of the most fun games I have seen so far this season. Just exciting all around. Damn Kucherov is frikkin' brilliant.

Okay, now I REALLY hate the new off side challenge rule. The Hawks were tied 1-1 with the Wild last night in the 3rd period. The Wild scored what seemed to be the go ahead goal, but after replays, it was clear that they were off sides. So Q challenged it because everyone could see they were clearly off sides. Everyone that is except for the guys reviewing the play because they came back and said "Call on the ice stands. We have a good goal".

No one could believe it. The Hawks players and Q and the Hawks fans were livid. It was clearly off sides and I'm not just saying that because I'm a Hawks fan. Watch the play yourself.

Now, since the made a bad call, it's 2-1 Wild when it should be 1-1 still. BUT, as if that wasn't bad enough, they throw salt in the wound and assess the Hawks a penalty (because of the new stupid rule), and the Wild go on the PP and score again, making it 3-1 and basically giving the Wild the win.

Just terrible. I cant remember a game that was officiated this badly in a while and the call completely turned the whole game around. I was so angry, I turned the channel and kept watching the Cubs game (I had been flipping back and forth).

The NHL needs to change this awful rule next year because it is absolutely terrible. I don't know what genius thought this rule up but they should be fired and make a better rule. Either that, or GET THE FREAKING CALL RIGHT!

Anyone with half a brain could see they were off sides and yet, they still ruled it a good goal. Sickening.

New offside challenge rule

https://scoutingtherefs.com/2017/09/...017-18-season/

Minor Penalty for Failed Offside Challenge
    The league has upped the stakes on an offside challenge. A failed challenge will now result in a minor penalty for delay of game rather than just a forfeited timeout.

From Rule 78.7:

If the result of the challenge is that the play was “On-side”, the goal shall count and the team that issued the challenge shall be assessed a minor penalty for delaying the game.
    Coaches challenged goals for offside situations 117 times last season, with 39 overturned. Coaches could challenge a pivotal goal with only their timeout at stake. In many cases, it was a no-risk situation. Best case: the goal was overturned. Worst case: The team was given a chance to regroup, with the review delay taking far longer than a thirty-second timeout.

If your going to have "coaches challenges' than have them. If you feel it's taking to much time than don't have them.
    With the way the referee's are way too inconsistent (including the video judges) it just doesn't make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by GrifterWC View Post
    If your going to have "coaches challenges' than have them. If you feel it's taking to much time than don't have them.
    With the way the referee's are way too inconsistent (including the video judges) it just doesn't make sense.
    BINGO!

10 char

Senators break an 0-19 power play drought with 2 tonight and a 6-0 win in Calgary.
    2-0-2 without Karlsson in the line-up, a good start to the season.
    Last edited by GrifterWC; 10-13-2017 at 09:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by The Whovian View Post
    Okay, now I REALLY hate the new off side challenge rule. The Hawks were tied 1-1 with the Wild last night in the 3rd period. The Wild scored what seemed to be the go ahead goal, but after replays, it was clear that they were off sides. So Q challenged it because everyone could see they were clearly off sides. Everyone that is except for the guys reviewing the play because they came back and said "Call on the ice stands. We have a good goal".

No one could believe it. The Hawks players and Q and the Hawks fans were livid. It was clearly off sides and I'm not just saying that because I'm a Hawks fan. Watch the play yourself.

Now, since the made a bad call, it's 2-1 Wild when it should be 1-1 still. BUT, as if that wasn't bad enough, they throw salt in the wound and assess the Hawks a penalty (because of the new stupid rule), and the Wild go on the PP and score again, making it 3-1 and basically giving the Wild the win.

Just terrible. I cant remember a game that was officiated this badly in a while and the call completely turned the whole game around. I was so angry, I turned the channel and kept watching the Cubs game (I had been flipping back and forth).

The NHL needs to change this awful rule next year because it is absolutely terrible. I don't know what genius thought this rule up but they should be fired and make a better rule. Either that, or GET THE FREAKING CALL RIGHT!

Anyone with half a brain could see they were off sides and yet, they still ruled it a good goal. Sickening.
    New offside challenge rule

https://scoutingtherefs.com/2017/09/...017-18-season/

Senators break an 0-19 power play drought with 2 tonight and a 6-0 win in Calgary.
    2-0-2 without Karlsson in the line-up, a good start to the season.
    1. If you're a hockey fan, you just can't see the rationale behind this whole penalty for a failed offside challenge. It is borderline stupid. I can see why they were thinking it would be needed (i.e. coaches challenging, knowing it wasn't offside, to buy time and strategize), but to penalize a team for attempting to using a tool available to them is just stupid. It has not yet happened to my Oilers (that I can remember), but without that I can say I think the rule is stupid.

2. The Senators are doing decent without Karlsson, so that is encouraging. I think I read Boucher said Karlsson might be back on Tuesday. Fingers crossed for the Senators.

3. Uh-oh. Leon Draisaitl is out tonight with "concussion-like syndromes".

I had no idea of the rule change until I saw WestPhillyPunisher post about it happening to the Flyers.
    1. Agreed. As I stated, the league either has "challenges" or they don't. It can't be something that you're going to be punished for because you have the ability to use it.
    2. Yeah, hopefully he'll be back Tuesday.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

The Flyers finally played their home opener last night and made it memorable for their fans with an 8-2 ass-whuppin' of Washington. Claude Giroux, Scott Laughton and Sean Couturier each lit the lamp twice while the defense kept Alex Ovechkin off the scoreboard. A great win!
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Senators with a solid game again last night, back to back wins in Alberta and a 3 game sweep of their road trip.

Hawks with a nice come from behind win against the Predators.