Page 33 of 33 FirstFirst ... 232930313233
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Inversed View Post
    spoilers:
    Don't forget Galactus and Dr. Doom, two of the most famous and "pure evil" villains, are good guys now. Anything can happen :P
    end of spoilers

To be fair, Amazing Spider-Man #795 was all about resolving a plot thread from almost 15 years ago that I'm pretty sure everybody forgot about, which also referenced OMD in it as well, so I wouldn't say it's unlikely that anything would be resolved with it at some point.
    I'm surprised Mets is still following the narrative OMD won't be drawn back on when we've had two and a half plus years of build-up with references. There's clearly been a plan in place for a while to address it.

Quote Originally Posted by Green Symbiote View Post
    Lot of things going on all at once. Connecting the dots:

spoilers:

A) Spencer and Cates kick Mephisto out of hell - Damnation #4 - out today
    B) Cates has Spider-Man showing up at Strange's door immediately following Damnation - Doctor Strange #390 (out in May)
    C) Something could happen during the final showdown between Peter and Norman parallel to or as a result of Mephisto losing control - ASM #800 (out in May)
    D) Spencer is writing ASM starting in June

In Strange 390, perhaps we get the first tease that something happened in ASM 800 with regards to OMD as a result of Damnation, by Peter showing up at Strange's house and asking all kinds of questions about "something that happened to him," that he knows Strange was behind this but he can't figure out what it all means, and Strange is ignoring him because he's solely focused on trying to win back his friend Zelma Stanton (Here is the solicit: THE DOCTOR IS IN! Strange is back as Master of the Mystic Arts! But the Earth’s magic is still weak — and after DAMNATION, so is Stephen. He needs to get in fighting form and repair his friendship with Zelma - If he can just shake special guest SPIDER-MAN long enough to get some work done!)

Then in 800, we get the full blown restoration of memories that happens at the exact same time as Damnation, showing that because Mephisto lost control OMD is basically cancelled
    end of spoilers

Given that Cates and Spencer have three books across which they are playing with Peter, Mephisto, and Dr Strange, all of whom were centrally involved in OMD, and this is all happening at the same time, there HAS to be something there. If not, it's a HUGE missed opportunity. They should just undo it and at a minimum make Peter and/or MJ remember, but not do much else (meaning no reunions just yet). That would explain the art showing Peter reliving Sensational Annual 2007 in ASM #1, Spencer's first issue out the gate he's got Peter obsessing over MJ.
    This would factor in greatly with the notion the big plans for MJ also kick off with the "end of Slott's run" according to Cebulski, can't really think of anything else (besides the widely heated discussion of a death option)
    Last edited by Miles To Go; 04-26-2018 at 12:15 AM.

spoilers:
    Don't forget Galactus and Dr. Doom, two of the most famous and "pure evil" villains, are good guys now. Anything can happen :P
    end of spoilers

To be fair, Amazing Spider-Man #795 was all about resolving a plot thread from almost 15 years ago that I'm pretty sure everybody forgot about, which also referenced OMD in it as well, so I wouldn't say it's unlikely that anything would be resolved with it at some point.
    It's certainly possible that there are no plans to resolve One More Day, so anyone looking for hints of it may end up disappointed.

But if there's some kind of resolution, you guys will hear about it. If the 16th issue of Nick Spencer's Amazing Spider-Man has Peter Parker remembering the deal with Mephisto, it's the type of thing that would get coverage.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    It's certainly possible that there are no plans to resolve One More Day, so anyone looking for hints of it may end up disappointed.

But if there's some kind of resolution, you guys will hear about it. If the 16th issue of Nick Spencer's Amazing Spider-Man has Peter Parker remembering the deal with Mephisto, it's the type of thing that would get coverage.
    To be fair, Marvel is fairly good with keeping big Spider-Man reveals or plans a secret until the issues are out. Right off the top of my head I can think of ASM 700/Superior, nobody knew that story was gonna be about Doc Ock until the issue came out, Ben Reilly's return in Clone Conspiracy, even Red Goblin they didn't reveal it was Carnage until the issue came out. There's probably a couple others too.

Yeah, there could easily be no plans to resolve it, but I think the difference is with another story like say, Sins Past. That never gets referenced or brought up, so most people assume they're just gonna ignore it and won't do some resolution at some point. OMD has been referenced countless times, so whether they actually do anything with it or not, it's understandable why people would think it'd come back, as it's not like they tried to pretend it never happened.

To be fair, Marvel is fairly good with keeping big Spider-Man reveals or plans a secret until the issues are out. Right off the top of my head I can think of ASM 700/Superior, nobody knew that story was gonna be about Doc Ock until the issue came out, Ben Reilly's return in Clone Conspiracy, even Red Goblin they didn't reveal it was Carnage until the issue came out. There's probably a couple others too..
    That is a valid point, which many people tend to forget.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Mighty Member

To be fair, Marvel is fairly good with keeping big Spider-Man reveals or plans a secret until the issues are out. Right off the top of my head I can think of ASM 700/Superior, nobody knew that story was gonna be about Doc Ock until the issue came out, Ben Reilly's return in Clone Conspiracy, even Red Goblin they didn't reveal it was Carnage until the issue came out. There's probably a couple others too.

Yeah, there could easily be no plans to resolve it, but I think the difference is with another story like say, Sins Past. That never gets referenced or brought up, so most people assume they're just gonna ignore it and won't do some resolution at some point. OMD has been referenced countless times, so whether they actually do anything with it or not, it's understandable why people would think it'd come back, as it's not like they tried to pretend it never happened.
    The difference between undoing/fixing/whatever-ing OMD and those stories is that the thing kept hidden from us was a specific plot point - ASM 700 loses a lot of narrative steam if you know going in Peter loses (and also plants the seed for his own return); the identity and origin of the new Jackal surprised Peter and us simultaneously, etc. Whatever OMD P3 is (if it ever comes in to being, which I kind of doubt it will soon) will not be a stealthy story hidden in the depths of second-tier Spider-titles. It'll be a big deal, with a big name artist and plenty of comic shop press to get people ordering early. Sure, whoever ends up doing the story may do their research and tie what they want to do back to Damnation or whatever, but the seeds for the eventual story are not being planted by Marvel editorial.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by bob/.schoonover View Post
    Sure, whoever ends up doing the story may do their research and tie what they want to do back to Damnation or whatever, but the seeds for the eventual story are not being planted by Marvel editorial.
    Damnation was co-written by Spencer, and I'd argue the seeds have been planted since 2016 at the earliest by editorial.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by bob/.schoonover View Post
    stealthy story hidden in the depths of second-tier Spider-titles.
    Except Damnation was a huge event and it also happened to be co written by Spencer. Let me make it simple - the last thing Nick Spencer did before he takes over Amazing Spider Man was to take Mephisto off the table, in a major cross over event. And the last thing the guy who co wrote the event with him will do on the last issue of the title he's been writing for a year is have Peter show up at Strange's house trying to ask him for some kind of help, immediately after Mephisto is taken off the table.

These are black and white facts. Whether they have any bearing on what comes ahead is going to be revealed in ASM 800 and ASM 1. Those are about as big deal as you can get and they have been pushing press and pre orders on those like crazy.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Green Symbiote View Post
    Except Damnation was a huge event and it also happened to be co written by Spencer. Let me make it simple - the last thing Nick Spencer did before he takes over Amazing Spider Man was to take Mephisto off the table, in a major cross over event. And the last thing the guy who co wrote the event with him will do on the last issue of the title he's been writing for a year is have Peter show up at Strange's house trying to ask him for some kind of help, immediately after Mephisto is taken off the table.

These are black and white facts. Whether they have any bearing on what comes ahead is going to be revealed in ASM 800 and ASM 1. Those are about as big deal as you can get and they have been pushing press and pre orders on those like crazy.
    To be clear, the second-tier Spidey comment was about appearances of Mephisto in Deadpool/Spider-man and the Scarlet Spider reference to Mephisto having an interest in the Parkers in Damnation tie-ins. Those are absolutely second tier books. Likewise, Damnation was an event, sure (huge is an overstatement), but one in which Spider-man was never mentioned. Major publishers don't hide major changes to flagship characters' arcs in books in which they are not advertised (with a few rare exceptions, mostly related to cliffhanger endings and big surprise returns, e.g. Wolverine's resurrection).

Everything else in your first paragraph is wish casting or apophenia. You're claiming to state facts, but you're also trying to imply meaning in those facts that isn't yet there. How does taking Mephisto out of Hell make OMDp3 more likely? The last issue of Strange by Cates has Peter in it, sure, but since Strange is also heading to space afterwards in Mark Waid's run, do you think it's likely Dr Strange is going to be a part of OMDp3? What is the connection to Mephisto getting removed from Hell that results in Peter looking for help from Strange? Also, the solicitation and cover suggest that Spidey is more annoyance than heart-broken man trying to regain his lost marriage, so . . .

Here's an easy one - why would Marvel have a major Spidey story start in Dr Strange and not ASM? Cates is leaving, so it can't boost sales of his book. Marvel isn't doing any major push on this book (huge number of variants, returnability, etc) to get more shops to buy extras for the inevitable wave of Spider-fans to show up in droves when it's revealed to lead into . . .whatever.

Yes, Nick Spencer might get to write OMDp3. He might even know right now that he'll eventually get to do that and has been planting the seeds. That's possible. I don't deny that at all. The fact remains that if and when that happens, it'll be a big show. There will be plenty of lead time, there will be big name artists, there will probably be prologues and tie-ins and everything else Marvel is doing for Infinity Wars. And yes, Marvel will put Damnation back on the market with new cover text that says, "The Road to One More Deal Starts Here!" My only point is that if and when Marvel gets into gear on OMDp3, we'll all know it's happening. It's too monumental a story to the Spider-man mythos for Marvel to do anything less.
    Last edited by bob.schoonover; 04-27-2018 at 07:52 AM.

Mighty Member

Im reoping this thread because of Mephisto,who is appearing in all of the comicbooks these past months. Also i saw at bleeding cool that we may be going back to one more day and amazing spider man is the book to look for. im guessing the event in Dec will be one more day revisited

Quote Originally Posted by fin5 View Post
    Im reoping this thread because of Mephisto,who is appearing in all of the comicbooks these past months. Also i saw at bleeding cool that we may be going back to one more day and amazing spider man is the book to look for. im guessing the event in Dec will be one more day revisited
    Or the much anticipated "undoing" of One More Day/reinstating of the Parker-Watson marriage.
    The city I once knew as home is teetering on the edge of radioactive oblivion