Page 4 of 33 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by DieHard200904 View Post
    I actually just liked the fact that the whole thing is out of continuity, not part of some shared universe and major crossover events.
    Renew Your Vows MJ is part of Venomverse you know

Astonishing Member DieHard200904's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    If Slott doesn't want Peter/MJ to reconcile romantically, he should just say that. It's when Slott tries to rationalize it that he looks bad. Trying to say "it's about doing something new" as we wait for the next Spider-Man vs. Green Goblin story sounds really dumb.
    Slott isn't going to deliberately give away when he would have themade go out. He does try to surprise you.

Quote Originally Posted by DieHard200904 View Post
    Slott isn't going to deliberately give away when he would have themade go out. He does try to surprise you.
    I don't believe the writer whose first issue of ASM was after OMD will bring Peter and MJ back together romantically in his run. Maybe as an ending (and that's a big "maybe.") But certainly not when the run isn't ending anytime soon.

Edit: And I don't care about the flavor of the month love interest.
    Last edited by Kevinroc; 09-21-2017 at 06:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    I don't believe the writer whose first issue of ASM was after OMD will bring Peter and MJ back together romantically in his run. Maybe as an ending (and that's a big "maybe.") But certainly not when the run isn't ending anytime soon.
    I'd also like to add that he doesn't seem like the type of guy to make things difficult for the next writer with putting back a popular status-quo and letting the next team break them up.

I think if really wanted to, he would've done it already. And that he generally believes that Peter with someone new is more entertain than Peter being with someone from his past.
    "What about wheatcakes next time?"-Peter
    "Wheatcakes are yucky."-Annie

Quote Originally Posted by Aruran. View Post
    I'd also like to add that he doesn't seem like the type of guy to make things difficult for the next writer with putting back a popular status-quo and letting the next team break them up.

I think if really wanted to, he would've done it already. And that he generally believes that Peter with someone new is more entertain than Peter being with someone from his past.
    If Slott worked with the next writer, and the next writer asked him to reconcile Peter and MJ romantically, I think he would. But, like I said, "that's a big maybe" that we could see those particular set of circumstances.

But I think the idea of "Peter with someone new is more entertaining" is undercut by how many "Spider-Man vs. Green Goblin" or "Spider-Man vs. Doctor Octopus" stories we've seen in this run.

Quote Originally Posted by fin5 View Post
    Do you think that One More Day will be redone in Amazing 800.Marvel Legacy is going back to basics,Jean grey, Thor will return [Death of Thor com on, Numbering.The thing that made marvel great again is now and it starts in Legacy
    Jean is coming back but do we really know if it's permanent? We don't.
    Thor may get the hammer back but is it permanent? Is Jane really going to die? We don't know.
    Is OMD finally dead? that we do know, it is tragically not ending anytime this year if ever, Slott won't end it, Spencer won't end, hell even Bendis doesn't have the cojones to end it and this is a guy who goes for shock value...no one will end it no matter how many of us wanted it gone. We have to accept that unless Marvel is really backed into a corner, that they need something huge to come back, then we aren't seeing Peter and MJ together again in our lifetimes.
    I wish it wasn't so but that is how the dominoes fell.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Hulkout42 View Post
    then we aren't seeing Peter and MJ together again in our lifetimes
    Except in the ongoing continuities where they've spent well over thirty years together, which will no doubt continue one way or the other, so you're never really missing them being together if you choose to follow those.

Quote Originally Posted by Aruran. View Post
    I think if really wanted to, he would've done it already.
    He did. It was called Renew Your Vows, and I don't think he's quite done with that story even if other writers are handling it at the moment.

I'm still expecting him to follow up on that tease of Deja Vu during Power Play...even if it doesn't lead to any marriage restoration in the main book, it can lead to a solid crossover between the two canons.
    Last edited by Miles To Go; 09-21-2017 at 11:23 PM.

BANNED

Some books are close to hitting major issue milestones - is Marvel already planning big things for those?
    Yes! We’re well aware that we’ll be approaching not only Thor #700 but Iron Man #600 and Captain America #700 and Amazing Spider-Man #800 and so forth, and each creative team has planned accordingly! Lots of big, fun stuff coming up heading to these centennial releases.
    For books that fans might just think is a continuation of the series that came before it - how does Legacy shake those titles up?
    I don’t think those fans are wrong—these storylines ARE all continuations of what has come before them. That’s kind of the whole point: Legacy as a whole is a celebration of the rich, winding tapestry that is the history of the Marvel Universe and all of the heroes therein. The point with Legacy was to find, with each series, some bit of business, some element or aspect of the character that had been either missing or overlooked in recent months and put it back at the forefront. That’s maybe easiest to understand in the case of titles such as Invincible Iron Man, where Tony Stark has been in a healing coma and not a participant for many months. But on a series such as Amazing Spider-Man, for instance, we’ll be seeing Peter Parker returning to a much more traditional status quo. His business and wealth will be a thing of the past and his reputation will have taken a beating, which will bring him back to being the struggling everyman kind of a character that everybody remembers. And so on. Each book is going to be doing its own thing, the thing that best relates back to its history and the history of the Marvel Universe.[
    -Source
    Last edited by Miles To Go; 09-25-2017 at 11:50 AM.

Mercenary Agent of Wolfram & Hart's Avatar

Just realized the irony of Peter dating Mockinbird after One More Day I mean they said just divorcing Peter & MJ aged the character and now they have him dating a character with a well known divorce
    "The preceding announcement has been paid for by the new World order"

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agent of Wolfram & Hart View Post
    Just realized the irony of Peter dating Mockinbird after One More Day I mean they said just divorcing Peter & MJ aged the character and now they have him dating a character with a well known divorce
    Yeah...no kidding!
    I keep thinking about that.

I think the problem that Marvel had wasn't a married Spider-Man
    I think the problem was him being with Mary Jane

Marvel didn't just break up their marriage
    they have diminished Mary Jane to the point that her appearing in Spider-Man comics is rare
    I created a thread about Dick Grayson/Nightwing and Koriand'r/Starfire. It is to acknowledge and honor their iconic and popular relationship.

I created a fan page about Peter Parker/Spider-Man and Mary Jane Watson. This page is for all the Spider-Marriage fans.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent of Wolfram & Hart View Post
    One could say it's kind of an unnecessary f-u to the fanbase, if it was done on purpose of course.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Quote Originally Posted by Starrius View Post
    Yeah...no kidding!
    I keep thinking about that.

I think the problem that Marvel had wasn't a married Spider-Man
    I think the problem was him being with Mary Jane

Marvel didn't just break up their marriage
    they have diminished Mary Jane to the point that her appearing in Spider-Man comics is rare
    Well, that did kinda happen over time. I think that the marriage, not Mary Jane, was the problem in Marvel's eyes. However, I also think that Marvel also finds that having Spider-Man being a free agent and being able to date a lot of other characters is an aspect of the character that's good to have, which certain demographics may not agree with. In other words, while some Marvel fans find MJ essential, Marvel may see the character as optional.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Well, that did kinda happen over time. I think that the marriage, not Mary Jane, was the problem in Marvel's eyes. However, I also think that Marvel also finds that having Spider-Man being a free agent and being able to date a lot of other characters is an aspect of the character that's good to have, which certain demographics may not agree with. In other words, while some Marvel fans find MJ essential, Marvel may see the character as optional.
    Then explain RYV and the daily strip. She's pretty essential in those.

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    MJ is essential but that's not the point. Marvel doesn't care because they control who is and who isn't essential. Take a look at the whole x-men vs inhumans nonsense. Or the X-men in general. Even the rooster of the X-men isn't mandated by witch characters sell or are popular. It's made up with characters that Marvel, it's writers or editors want to push. Several favorites have been handled very badly over the years. You think someone at Marvel would look at that and say "Hey this is bad business. We could make more money if we kept doing what worked instead of this we have been doing for + years now". We know it and Marvel knows it. The difference is that we look at shrinking numbers in sale and readers and think "Hey Marvel is in problem. They need to fix this now". They don't see it like that. Maybe they have different economical boundaries that we know or some other factors that we don't know about. What is clear is that Marvel have no problem shunting popular characters to limbo or character assinate them. For them it's not about the short term in the regard that whatever noise fans make will blow over. Give the fans 2 years, 5 years, 10 years and they will either forget, move on or stop reading. Whatever the answer is Marvel is ok with all three. We see readers drop off but Marvel certainly knows their limits and as long as they don't push it to far then it's all ok.

MJ is well known and sells comics. Heck she is one of the most well known female comic characters that exist. Maybe even comic characters in general. It doesn't matter because Marvel has shown us that for them it doesn't matter. For me personally it wouldn't suprise me if they thought that if the need should arise they could replace her. Elevate some other character or just create a new one.

When the fans complain or stop buying nothing much happens. At best we get ridiculed by other fans, at worst it's writers, editors or publishers that do the taunting. Marvel knows that they can remove almost every character in the long run because enough readers would stay on and soon everyone would stop talking about it. Or it becomes like the OMD mess where all we are being told is that Spider-man sells great because of OMD. At best someone gets a response from Slott about it. Getting told they are either wrong or stupid, or both.

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    I don't think Marvel has a problem with those existing, just that they're not a representation of what "default" Spidey is to them.