View Poll Results: How many GL titles should DC be publishing every month?

Voters
61. You may not vote on this poll
  • Hal Jordan & the GL Corps and Green Lanterns are perfectly fine.

24 39.34%
  • Four monthly GL titles

11 18.03%
  • Depends on the creative teams

19 31.15%
  • None of the above

7 11.48%
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Sodam Yat View Post
    I honestly don't see how this is even considered debatable, which I think is complete nonsense here. Sounds like an attempt to justify their decision on killing off those characters in order to remove competition for Hal Jordan. Suggestion to kill off characters is not considered destruction, despite the evidence as said by a writer and the artist is beyond me. So I definitely disagree with that perspective.

Wasn't Hal Jordan all by himself in the last comic book issue? Have John or any other character been in a book by himself while all the other characters were missing? I doubt any John Stewart fan or other fanbase would want for their guy/girl to get a lesser slice of the pie.

The action speaks louder than words, UNLESS you have actual evidence to prove he WASN'T considered to be a threat during Johns' era and been treated as equal as the other characters on the way he should be like he was in outside media.
    It is debatable. There could have been a story reason for killing off one of those characters. Did a writer or artist say they could kill off one of those characters because it would destroy John or Kyle?

Guy has had an issue to himself. John, Guy and Kyle have had sizeable and important roles in all the story arcs so far, not all at the same time, but it has been spread out.

The current actions of DC shows that he currently isn't a threat. And it does not work like that, you are shifting the burden of Proof.
    Last edited by KC; 09-19-2017 at 04:23 PM.
    “Somewhere, in our darkest night, we made up the story of a man who will never let us down.”

- Grant Morrison on Superman

Many concepts could work, it all depens on how it's done for them to work.
    One title on earth, one in space isn't a bad concept for now.
    But I wouldn't mind another title, either on tales about the other colors (agent orange, star saphire, red lantern, ...), or on some Green Lanterns exploring the univers, discovering worlds and helping them while finding some fun alian races, and mabey have some backstories of C-list Green Lanterns.

Are the rainbow corps dead for now?

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

I'd like to see:

Green Lantern - Spotlight on Hal
    Green Lantern Corps - John & the Corps
    Emerald Warriors - Guy & Kyle
    Green Lanterns - Jessica and Simon
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

Incredible Member

The current situation is fine, four monthlies would be just like before the 52 with the Red Lanterns and Kyle's series. Too much to be supported by the readers.

The four could work if they made it bi-monthly with 2 series sharing a month and switching off with the other two.

I'm not interested in reading a cluttered book where 15 people with the same power fight for panel time. Geoff Johns' run is an aberration in that sense: Green Lantern works better as a solo book with one Lantern per story. So that when GLs team-up, or the Corps is threatened, it has appropriate scale.

So ideally, there'd be a solo Hal Jordan series set on Earth, and sometimes in space. Appearances by Flash and Green Arrow, and plenty of classic GL villains.

I'd also read a solo John Stewart series, if DC ever decides to make one. I used to buy Kyle's series, and on the off chance DC published one again, I'd try it. But for me the team-bookification of the DCU broke the scale a long time ago.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Miller View Post
    Looks like Venditti is building up to another War of Light, as it was foreshadowed (or rather flashback-shadowed since that issue took place in the future) in issue 13 of Hal Jordan and the Green Lantern Corps. Sinestro is coming back at some point, and has recently guest starred in Superman along with Parallax. There's still the Butcher seeded by the Rage Seed from the first arc of Green Lanterns that hasn't paid off yet (and may not since Humphries is moving on to Nightwing).

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by jb681131 View Post
    Many concepts could work, it all depens on how it's done for them to work.
    One title on earth, one in space isn't a bad concept for now.
    But I wouldn't mind another title, either on tales about the other colors (agent orange, star saphire, red lantern, ...), or on some Green Lanterns exploring the univers, discovering worlds and helping them while finding some fun alian races, and mabey have some backstories of C-list Green Lanterns.
    I wouldn't mind a quarterly large size Tales of the Corps-type release. What's happened to the Star Sapphires? They've been AWOL since Godhead. The Indigo Tribe haven't gotten any comeuppance from their role in Godhead. There's the Templar Guardians and the White Lantern Corps, who seem to have vanished into lack of writer interest limbo. What happened to the Red Lanterns after Rage Planet? Where did Saint Walker go after Quest for Hope? Will anything become of the five rings (six if you count the Orange Ring that didn't seek out a sentient replacement) that came from Kyle's shattered White Lantern ring? Are there any other law enforcement groups that have arisen while the GLC were in the previous universe, and that don't like the Corps coming back? Rami's search for the other five original rings.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Miller View Post
    As featured players, yes. They've gone back to being what they were before DC flooded the market with Lantern books--guest stars and villains.

Astonishing Member failo.legendkiller's Avatar

Problem is they have created too many earth Green Lanterns, everyone has his favourite and it's becoming harder to satisfy everyone.

Personally I've tried to approach new ones (Baz & Jess) without feeling anything for them, dropped the book after 10 issues.
    Hal Jordan & the GLC is an excellent book, although filled with too many characters it works very well.
    I'd be happy for a solo book starring Kyle or Guy, but again it's a matter of personal tastes.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by failo.legendkiller View Post
    Problem is they have created too many earth Green Lanterns, everyone has his favourite and it's becoming harder to satisfy everyone.

Personally I've tried to approach new ones (Baz & Jess) without feeling anything for them, dropped the book after 10 issues.
    Hal Jordan & the GLC is an excellent book, although filled with too many characters it works very well.
    I'd be happy for a solo book starring Kyle or Guy, but again it's a matter of personal tastes.
    Green Lanterns is an arc by arc one for me. Besides, the lack of crossovers mean it's easier to trade wait. The clear problem for the Green Lantern franchise at the moment is, as you have pointed out, too many main characters. There's also the effort to try get them into teams (Justice League, the Corps, the New Guardians, the Red Lanterns) which means writers need to handle ensemble casts instead of focusing on just the character. New 52 tried to give each Earth Lantern, at least the ones who debuted pre-New 52, their own books but low sales figures mean Guy's and Kyle's got the chop. Guy was folded back into the Corps with Lost Army and Edge of Oblivion, and it was only intense fan support that gave Omega Men the full twelve issue run. It didn't help that for most of pre-Convergence New 52 there was almost a constant run of crossovers between the Lantern titles, with GL and GLC being closely intertwined.

I'd say Simon came off worst in New 52. Barely relevant to Rise of the Third Army and Wrath of the First Lantern, relegated to guest spots in the second half for Green Lantern and Green Lantern Corps. Jess got more attention in Justice League because she was Power Ring. John is a close second, at least he consistently co-headlined a title.

I wouldn't mind less attention on Hal if it meant more on focus on the other three Earth Lanterns. We've been spoiled for Hal material compared to John, Guy and Kyle. While it would be nice to get Alan Scott back, and the supporting cast he brings with him, it'd overcrowd the books even more.

Green Lantern fanbase.... fractured, but whole.
    Save Ferris...

i've assumed that whenever rebirth ends hal would break off from the corps and we'd get a hal and a corps book to go along with green lanterns; at the very least, corps could become a series of mini-series, like we saw at the very end of the new 52. this gives the franchise's biggest star his own series where he's free to have earth or space-based adventures, a book for john/guy/kyle, and a book for the junior varsity team w/ simon and jessica.

i'm also wrong a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Comicfan111 View Post
    It is debatable. There could have been a story reason for killing off one of those characters. Did a writer or artist say they could kill off one of those characters because it would destroy John or Kyle?
    It's not debatable. You're talking about killing off one character, who DC hasn't done anything with in the Johns' era and then suggesting to kill him off. It's like getting the character out of the way. And no way am I going to ever agree with that it's not an attempt to destroy the character.

Guy has had an issue to himself. John, Guy and Kyle have had sizeable and important roles in all the story arcs so far, not all at the same time, but it has been spread out.
    So John didn't have an issue to himself? And no, I'm not talking about "sizeable" roles in the story arcs.

The current actions of DC shows that he currently isn't a threat. And it does not work like that, you are shifting the burden of Proof.
    I was referring to the Johns' era. Nothing will convince me otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by Sodam Yat View Post
    It's not debatable. You're talking about killing off one character, who DC hasn't done anything with in the Johns' era and then suggesting to kill him off. It's like getting the character out of the way. And no way am I going to ever agree with that it's not an attempt to destroy the character.

So John didn't have an issue to himself? And no, I'm not talking about "sizeable" roles in the story arcs.

I was referring to the Johns' era. Nothing will convince me otherwise.
    It is debatable because there could have been a good opportunity to kill of the character. There have been plenty of instances where killing a character hasn't destroyed that character.

A sizeable role in a story arc is good considering HJatGLC is a team book. And it shows that John is getting time in the book like all the other earth Lanterns (which is what this was originally about).

So you don't have any evidence? Also we are currently not in the Johns era. In this era, the Rebirth era, John is getting time in a team book.
    “Somewhere, in our darkest night, we made up the story of a man who will never let us down.”

- Grant Morrison on Superman