Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Amazing Member

Default Hellboy library editions please

Hello, I'v seen both Hellboy movies and I'm wondering If Its worth it to purschase all volumes. Eventually,...If not, which of them are best buy. I'd like to know for example If I won't find all the movie stuff in first book or two. I'm talking about the library editions. So I'm here to ask Hellboy fans what Is worth to get, by the time If I'd like it I can eventually buy all thé stuff, but right now founds are limited, so I'm looking for 2 max 3 editions. Thank You in advance

The movies are very different than the comics. You'll only encounter small similarities between the two.

The first movie is based around stories mostly in the first library edition, but as states, there are significant differences. the first three library editions basically flow together as the first arc of the series. And they're fantastic collections

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    The movies are very different than the comics. You'll only encounter small similarities between the two.
    I wouldn't say that: the first movie has much of it's plot, visuals, and Hellboy one-liners taken from the comics. The second movie goes in it's own direction. I was a teen when the first movie came out, and it was really easy to go from the seeing the movie one weekend and buying the collections the next weekend.

Library Editions are the way to go. They're great collections.

It's been a while, but other than the origin, what from the comics is actually in the movie?

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

It's been a while, but other than the origin, what from the comics is actually in the movie?
    Ratsputin's use of Liz definitely had some parallels to Seed of Destruction, and the general thrust of the film loosely adapts the plot of SoD as well.

The corpse is obviously lifted from the comic - in fact, they rereleased that story as a special 25 cent issue to tie-in with the movie.

Like I said, there are small similarities, bits taken from the comics, but there's certainly not a 1 for 1 that it's adapted from or based on.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Like I said, there are small similarities, bits taken from the comics, but there's certainly not a 1 for 1 that it's adapted from or based on.
    That's the case for just about every comic book movie though.

For me the departure in the del Toro films was in their characterisation and tone, and it was a big departure. Plot was never what attracted me to the comic in the first place, so I found the films devoid of the things I love about Hellboy. I appreciate them bringing in new fans though.

My favourite Hellboy stuff is in the atmosphere, which I discovered in The Chained Coffin and Others (collected in Hellboy – Volume 2). It's always the trade I recommend to newcomers because it made such a huge impression on me.
    Last edited by middenway; 09-20-2017 at 05:35 PM.

A smidgen off topic, but can we expect the short stories in the 'Bride of Hell' tpb and the original hardcover graphic novels collected in a further Library Edition?

Quote Originally Posted by Angilasman View Post
    A smidgen off topic, but can we expect the short stories in the 'Bride of Hell' tpb and the original hardcover graphic novels collected in a further Library Edition?
    The Bride of Hell and Others trade is already collected in Hellboy – Volume 6. I expect the OGNs and the Hellboy in Mexico short stories, and perhaps even the Being Human one shot, will be collected in Hellboy – Volume 7 if such a book is ever published.

Quote Originally Posted by middenway View Post
    My favourite Hellboy stuff is in the atmosphere, which I discovered in The Chained Coffin and Others (collected in Hellboy – Volume 2). It's always the trade I recommend to newcomers because it made such a huge impression on me.
    The Chained Coffin and Others was also the first Hellboy stuff I read, and it made a huge impression. I immediately went out and got Seed of Destruction plus all the individual issues of everything that had been released (at that point back in 1996).

Quote Originally Posted by middenway View Post
    The Bride of Hell and Others trade is already collected in Hellboy – Volume 6. I expect the OGNs and the Hellboy in Mexico short stories, and perhaps even the Being Human one shot, will be collected in Hellboy – Volume 7 if such a book is ever published.

Cool, thanks! Only have the first two.

--- edit ---

Didn't want to leave the impression that's the only HB I've read: been buying the single issues for 13 years!
    Last edited by Angilasman; 09-21-2017 at 02:32 PM.

Fantastic Member

Yeah, buy it all. It's great.

If money is a factor, the omnibus editions will be coming out next year. They're chronological and a bit cheaper.