Page 24 of 43 FirstFirst ... 1420212223242526272834 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by salarta View Post
    Marvel stands to benefit by... not taking advantage of buzz created by a Fox film, and instead slowly killing off one of their own strong revenue streams to hurt the profits of another company that is literally never going to give up the film rights because of how popular and successful it's been in the past?
    How are they killing off anything? Well, other than Wolverine, but you know as well as me that there's nothing like a nice, big death to boost flagging sales.

That's even assuming Marvel's antics actually do any real damage to Fox's making money off the films, which I'd have to say no, they don't.
    Films have negligible effect on comics sales and vice versa.
    It's just sabre rattling and chest thumping at best and a grosss miscalculation of their own importance at worst.

Even if it did, companies don't drop formerly wildly popular moneymaking franchises in the span of a couple decades just because some of the attempts do poorly at the box office. We have plenty of terrible sequels, spinoffs and reboots out there that perfectly prove this point.
    That's relative. Disney isn't even going to notice it on their bottom line if they suddenly stopped publishing comics altogether.

While it's fair to say it's not Marvel's job to promote Fox's films, it's also not Marvel's job to promote Amazing Spider-Man 2.
    I've not ven looked at Spider-Man in a good long while. Did they do anything for Amazing Spider-Man 2?
    If yes then maybe they're just on much friendlier terms with Sony than they are with Fox.

To that, you can also reasonably say Marvel is within their rights to decide what to promote and what not to promote themselves, but as I've said before, this is just one of many facets to the giant issue that Marvel is deliberately trying to diminish the X-Men franchise out of selfish, greedy interests, and it's extending to how Marvel treats the franchise right down to the comics.
    It's their franchise after all...

Pointing out that Marvel doesn't try to push people toward reading the X-Men comics they have when an X-Men film releases, yet will do that for anything not owned by Fox, is a piece of proving Marvel is, in fact, trying to diminish the franchise.
    In Marvel's defense, they have tried again and again and again to push people towards the X-Men books whenever a film comes out, and it never works. Stands to reason that they stop trying and focus on their own stuff.

Fantastic Member

In my opinion,Marvel has no financial reason for persisting with publication of X-Men comics.As a revenue stream,the publication of comics dwarfs what Marvel can earn from other sources such as merchandising and movies.Although,I have no absolute knowledge of the fact,it is possible that the comics division of Marvel operates at a loss.However,this ( theoretical) loss or negligible profit is of no concern as long as the comics continue to provide new characters AND storylines which can reap huge rewards in movies/merchandising.

It is quite possible following the huge success of the Avenger related movies that Marvel may be seriously considering dropping the X-Books.Why continue to divert some of their best creative talent a title whose movie franchise is owned by Fox--the X-Men brand can never bring Marvel any serious revenue as long as that is the case.My understanding of Fox's deal is that as long as an X-Men movie is in development,they retain the movie rights.So Marvel has no way of regaining the rights--they don't lapse after a certain time period.

Most of the X-Men movies contain plot threads from the comics.Marvel must be grinding their teeth at having to watch Fox skim in the cash with their stories.Much as it pains me to say it,it makes business sense for Marvel/Disney to dump the X-Books.And I don't feel their boardrooms make decision based on anything other than business sense.For this reason,I think the rumours of the X-Books demise may be closer to reality than any of us would like.

Actually,I feel that the success of the 'Guardians of the Galaxy' movie could actually influence the future of the X-Men comics.If the movie is a huge success box-office wise(I think it will be as there 's not much other genre movies around at the moment),then Marvel may well feel invincible and decide that they have plenty of franchises that they can make successful(making the X-Books less attractive).However,if 'Guardians' flops,Marvel may well try and protect what it feels to be one of their more recognisable properties.

Just my2 cents but for the first time it their history,I am genuinely worried about the future publication of X-Men comics.

Incredible Member StormDisciple's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Limerick View Post
    In my opinion,Marvel has no financial reason for persisting with publication of X-Men comics.As a revenue stream,the publication of comics dwarfs what Marvel can earn from other sources such as merchandising and movies.Although,I have no absolute knowledge of the fact,it is possible that the comics division of Marvel operates at a loss.However,this ( theoretical) loss or negligible profit is of no concern as long as the comics continue to provide new characters AND storylines which can reap huge rewards in movies/merchandising.

It is quite possible following the huge success of the Avenger related movies that Marvel may be seriously considering dropping the X-Books.Why continue to divert some of their best creative talent a title whose movie franchise is owned by Fox--the X-Men brand can never bring Marvel any serious revenue as long as that is the case.My understanding of Fox's deal is that as long as an X-Men movie is in development,they retain the movie rights.So Marvel has no way of regaining the rights--they don't lapse after a certain time period.

Most of the X-Men movies contain plot threads from the comics.Marvel must be grinding their teeth at having to watch Fox skim in the cash with their stories.Much as it pains me to say it,it makes business sense for Marvel/Disney to dump the X-Books.And I don't feel their boardrooms make decision based on anything other than business sense.For this reason,I think the rumours of the X-Books demise may be closer to reality than any of us would like.

Actually,I feel that the success of the 'Guardians of the Galaxy' movie could actually influence the future of the X-Men comics.If the movie is a huge success box-office wise(I think it will be as there 's not much other genre movies around at the moment),then Marvel may well feel invincible and decide that they have plenty of franchises that they can make successful(making the X-Books less attractive).However,if 'Guardians' flops,Marvel may well try and protect what it feels to be one of their more recognisable properties.

Just my2 cents but for the first time it their history,I am genuinely worried about the future publication of X-Men comics.
    XMen still have a massive fanbase and some of the top sellers of Marvel, I think it would be a shame to just drop them and a bit selfish as well. Because of a mistake of them selling the XMen properties to Fox now we fans have to suffer for it, just for the fact that Xmen is the only thing I am currently reading so if they get rid of that ill have nothing else to read since I have no interest in Avengers or GotG. I can see what you mean though that why would Marvel push XMen when it will benefit Fox, but XMen the comics are still property of Marvel they shouldnt get shafted just because Fox makes movies with them. Marvel and Fox need to come to some kind of agreement and squash this because id love to see new Xmen cartoons as well as new XMen merchandise coming out, everything shouldnt shouldnt just be the Avengers espiecally when XMen can stil contend with them and at times are better then them. I hope GotG dosent influence what they will do with XMen from here on out, i feel XMen is equal to Avengers and regardless Marvel should use their property and push it the way they are with the Avengers.

In general, board members don't really make any decisions about the products a huge corporation puts out. They're not focused on the specifics, their task is to be satisfied with the overall results.

It makes no business sense to quit publishing X-men comics either. They're consistent top sellers, but the size of the comics market is not comparable to the film market in any way.
    Last edited by normanosborn; 07-26-2014 at 07:26 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by normanosborn View Post
    In general, board members don't really make any decisions about the products a huge corporation puts out. They're not focused on the specifics, their task is to be satisfied with the overall results.

It makes no business sense to quit publishing X-men comics either. They're consistent top sellers, but the size of the comics market is not comparable to the film market in any way.
    And once again, the problem is NOT that Fox owns the film rights, because Sony has the film rights to Spider-Man and Marvel has no problems continuing to build and support Spider-Man even though everything they do with the franchise gives fuel to Sony for their films. That Fox owns the film rights is NOT, in of itself, an issue.

The situation is much more complicated due to the specific natures of the individual deals and, more importantly, Disney is also in a pissing match with Fox over a far, FAR more valuable property (the original six Star Wars films).

Tell you what, I could not be more pumped about all of the X-men news we got out of the AXIS panel! Y'know, that one that was billed as a combined Avengers and X-men panel. There was stuff about the new Captain America, and a new Avengers graphic novel drawn by Jerome Opena, and more stuff about Captain America (did you know he's black now?), and even a fleeting Cyclops and Magneto mention.

Good times.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by normanosborn View Post

Furthermore, even if the X-Men sales are a drop in Disney's bucket they are a much larger part of Marvel's. And Marvel us still it's own entity, just one ined by Disney.

Astonishing Member useridgoeshere's Avatar

If Inhuman would take off, the X-Men would be in bigger trouble, but so far, it's been disappointing. Hickman and Remender have failed to deliver a hit Avengers book. All of this helps the X-books keep publishing, but the trend line is inarguable.

The big problem is that the X-books still have no internal champions with power at Marvel on the publishing side. When someone does want rid of them, no one there will make their case. I think it's funny when they reference Bendis as proof they care. When they moved him, his Avengers' sales were dropping and they'd seen the mess that was AoU. It's much more likely he was being put out to pasture on the X-books side. The moves weren't made to help the X-Men, but to put fresher, hotter writers on the Avengers.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by ImprobableQuestion View Post
    Furthermore, even if the X-Men sales are a drop in Disney's bucket they are a much larger part of Marvel's. And Marvel us still it's own entity, just one ined by Disney.
    Yeah, but Marvel is a movie studio first and foremost now.

It's not like Disney produces their movies.

This Comic-Con has pretty much cemented the fact that Marvel gives zero f@$&s about the X-men, Brian Bendis on the books notwithstanding.

Oh well. It was fun while it lasted. Guess I can look forward to the FOX movies and some mediocre comics (other than X-Force which will probably get cancelled soon anyway).
    Last edited by Jackraow21; 07-26-2014 at 12:44 PM.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kid A View Post
    Yeah, but Marvel is a movie studio first and foremost now.

It's not like Disney produces their movies.

Very much agree.

The comic publishing portion of Marvel exists only now to create characters and storylines for the infinitely more profitable movie and merchandising arms.In the last 3-4 years,in particular,with the serious expansion of worldwide movie profits as opposed to the previously domestic profits,the money involved in Marvel's movie arm has become serious.

My point is, why should Marvel continue putting some of their most creative writers,artists,etc on X-Books when they can put them on any other Marvel titles creating a scenario for a future Marvel movie smash.X-Book story arcs create movie money for Fox if used as script storylines.The Fox/Marvel relationship has been seriously strained since the 'Mutant X' series confrontation and the huge international Box office for the current X-Men movie has to be pissing Marvel off.

Quote Originally Posted by useridgoeshere View Post
    If Inhuman would take off, the X-Men would be in bigger trouble, but so far, it's been disappointing. Hickman and Remender have failed to deliver a hit Avengers book. All of this helps the X-books keep publishing, but the trend line is inarguable.

The big problem is that the X-books still have no internal champions with power at Marvel on the publishing side. When someone does want rid of them, no one there will make their case. I think it's funny when they reference Bendis as proof they care. When they moved him, his Avengers' sales were dropping and they'd seen the mess that was AoU. It's much more likely he was being put out to pasture on the X-books side. The moves weren't made to help the X-Men, but to put fresher, hotter writers on the Avengers.
    Yeah, X-Men comics are hardly in danger at the moment as they hold quite a big part of Marvel's (and the Diamond direct market's) overall sales.

But if that were to change over the years due to indifferent handling and low resource allocation by Marvel it could change. Still, I would think they would be kept around even so, given that they were profitable enough. You can always use them as a training/proving ground for new creative teams.

BANNED

Very much agree.

The comic publishing portion of Marvel exists only now to create characters and storylines for the infinitely more profitable movie and merchandising arms.In the last 3-4 years,in particular,with the serious expansion of worldwide movie profits as opposed to the previously domestic profits,the money involved in Marvel's movie arm has become serious.

My point is, why should Marvel continue putting some of their most creative writers,artists,etc on X-Books when they can put them on any other Marvel titles creating a scenario for a future Marvel movie smash.X-Book story arcs create movie money for Fox if used as script storylines.The Fox/Marvel relationship has been seriously strained since the 'Mutant X' series confrontation and the huge international Box office for the current X-Men movie has to be pissing Marvel off.
    The publishing portion of Marvel exists to make the Executives at Marvel money, and indirectly to make Disney money. They make desiscions based on making them money. Not Marvel Studios, not Disney (though they get a cut of the profits). If Marvel was dissolved into like, Disney publishing or whatever, I'd agree with you. But that's the difference between the Marvel buy and, say, LucasArts.

Whatever creative input Disney has on Marvel depends on how the buy went down, and neither of us are privy to this information.
    Last edited by ImprobableQuestion; 07-26-2014 at 01:14 PM.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by ImprobableQuestion View Post
    The publishing portion of Marvel exists to make the Executives at Marvel money, and indirectly to make Disney money. They make desiscions based on making them money. Not Marvel Studios, not Disney (though they get a cut of the profits). If Marvel was dissolved into like, Disney publishing or whatever, I'd agree with you. But that's the difference between the Marvel buy and, say, LucasArts.

Whatever creative input Disney has on Marvel depends on how the buy went down, and neither of us are privy to this information.
    You're right,of course,if the publishing division has completely independent creative control.But,I think a lot of the publishing people are making a fair chunk of change on the success of Marvel Studios(there is plenty of 'executive' input from individuals primarily associated with the publishing arm)and,I'm afraid,money talks.I just think that the X-Men seem to be in such a delicate place within the Marvel organisation at the moment and all because Marvel sold out cheaply on the X-Men movie rights in 1994(when the company was in a precarious financial position).

Well let's remember Marvel is in a precarious position too. X-men is very popular among the fans.
    And I would guess that many Avenger fans started out X-men fans. Crapping on the X-men could lose them more than just the X-men sales.