Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Partly why, if there is some controversy to be found in this book, I'm willing to give it some slack because of who wrote it.

I hear all these horror stories of other Marvel writers or artists with inflated egos, questionable behavior or views, etc. I rarely, if ever, hear anything negative in those regards when it comes to Wilson.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Star View Post
    You seem to be implying that a company can't make a profit and still be in a "crisis". Is your definition of a crisis a company hemorrhaging money and making nothing back? Because even if their numbers are measly that's still a profit. My point is that sales tanking in the way they are rumored to have is enough for Marvel to declare a state of emergency. You don't wait till the eviction notice is on the door before you start taking money seriously.
    No. None of those things are remotely true.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Xalfrea View Post
    Partly why, if there is some controversy to be found in this book, I'm willing to give it some slack because of who wrote it.

I hear all these horror stories of other Marvel writers or artists with inflated egos, questionable behavior or views, etc. I rarely, if ever, hear anything negative in those regards when it comes to Wilson.
    Here, here. But I see nothing truly controversial about this issue.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by crimsonspider89 View Post
    August was just due to events and generations one shots. Not to mention the nonstop overshipping that Marvel does.

That is what is effect IDW and Valiant and Dark Horse. Less shelf space for those books.

Or how the Star Wars buyers 75% of them only buy the Star Wars books and nothing else.

Without as many Marvel buyers who may buy IDW/Dark Horse/Valiant when they buy, means they are losing sales.
    No Marvel overshipping in August that I'm aware of.

And events and one-shots are something that DC does as well. If Metal and the one-shots attached it do well for DC, should they not count?

Every month there's always excuses made for why Marvel is ahead of DC. The argument seems to be "If only Marvel would just stop competing, DC would be ahead!"

I don't care which company is ahead. I just buy the books I enjoy. I just find it silly that one company can be ahead so often and yet in the eyes of some fans it's never because they're doing well or that their fanbase is generally happy with their books or that they know how to run their business.

And yes, there are some buyers who buy only SW. But there's surely also DC buyers who exclusively stick to Batman and don't venture into the rest of their line.
    Last edited by Prof. Warren; 09-21-2017 at 10:43 AM.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by JKtheMac View Post
    No. None of those things are remotely true.
    Exactly. How come Rogue is making stuff up?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    No Marvel overshipping in August that I'm aware of.

And events and one-shots are something that DC does as well. If Metal and the one-shots attached it do well for DC, should they not count?

Every month there's always excuses made for why Marvel is ahead of DC. The argument seems to be "If only Marvel would just stop competing, DC would be ahead!"

I don't care which company is ahead. I just buy the books I enjoy. I just find it silly that one company can be ahead so often and yet in the eyes of some fans it's never because they're doing well or that their fanbase is generally happy with their books or that know how to run their business.

And yes, there are some buyers who buy only SW. But there's surely also DC buyers who exclusively stick to Batman and don't venture into the rest of their line.
    They overshipped Defenders and forgot which other one.

And no average comic fans will pick up one or two other books when they buy there books supplying sales.

Just look at the continuous sales of Marvel books. Peak high then plummet. DC books peak high then stabilize right now.

Marvel in August had SE, Generations, Spider Men, and Venomverse prelude. Look at the TPB from bookscan since January and even comichron TPB sales. Only a handful of Marvel's current titles are being bought there. May was high but June and July and August all plummeted.

And even then more of them are the older books.

Also this year Marvel has had IvX/CWII/Clone Conspiracy/SE/Spider Men/Venomverse as events. DC had Metal and the overall arc since rebirth about who did this?

Invincible Member

Best of the bunch. I'd say the Hawkeye Generations book was second best.
    I liked the Hawkeye one as well! I felt they handled the time travel stuff well. For instance, it's late 70's Clint so it made sense that he didn't know who Bullseye was either.

Invincible Member

I feel like the attitude has been, "You don't have to like [fill in the blank], but if you don't it's because you're a [insert denigratory remark here]".

So, no... It's not quite being shamed into buying comics. But it should be no wonder people have massive chips on their shoulders after having endured this for a long time.
    But is that the company's official stance...or is it people spouting off on the internet?

Quote Originally Posted by crimsonspider89 View Post
    Marvel in August had SE, Generations, Spider Men, and Venomverse prelude. Look at the TPB from bookscan since January and even comichron TPB sales. Only a handful of Marvel's current titles are being bought there. May was high but June and July and August all plummeted.
    Can we stop pretending Venomverse or Spider-Men are events! They are not even crossovers, they are mini-series. I am guessing people that think they are events or crossovers haven't read them.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    But is that the company's official stance...or is it people spouting off on the internet?
    People on the internet, including the creators. Also, on a slight tangent, I forget which writer it was that said of Frank Cho that he refuses to "evolve" because he likes drawing sexualized female characters. That's just an example of the moral shaming that goes on even among creators. I'm mostly concerned with what I've had the displeasure of dealing with online. I've kept my cool so far since being back but that's only because I'm trying to prolong the time till I get banned again. Marvel says nothing about the views their creators express online, and the way some even childishly engage fans.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    I'm going with the latter.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Xalfrea View Post
    That bespectacled kid bumping into Kamala on his way out the Bugle going to get pictures of Spider-Man...was that supposed to be young Peter Parker?
    Shouldn't be though. He was nearly done with college and long since stopped wearing glasses at the point Carol was working for Jameson.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by davew128 View Post
    Shouldn't be though. He was nearly done with college and long since stopped wearing glasses at the point Carol was working for Jameson.
    As I said earlier in this thread, he isn't wearing glasses in this issue. I don't know why people keep saying that he is.

Quote Originally Posted by Kintor View Post
    This about standards, just because Marvel's identity politics wannabes claim they're left wing doesn't actually make it true. Before everything went to hell with this current identity politics debate you might reasonably expect some intellectual underpinning behind an allegedly left wing ideology. I'm talking about literally centuries of intensive evolution of politic thought to arrive at modern left wing political thought. Well, I would say modern except for the fact that once identity politics arrived the left wing simply ceased to exist, drowned out in all the shrill white noise. Marvel's current heavy-handed messaging is all just part of that same tone-dear identity politics, divorced from any historical intellectual tradition; Marvel's talent are frauds for even daring to call themselves left wing.
    Yeah... still not granting your implied premise that the struggle for equal rights for different races, or for women, or for LGBTQ folks, or for folks with disabilities, are in any way ahistorical, a mere distraction from 'proper' left-wing concerns, or some kind of 'white noise'. Not that the struggles of different socioeconomic classes are not terribly important as well, but dismissal of a bunch of equally important (and historically rooted, to boot... let's talk about the intellectual traditions of Douglass, DuBois, Baldwin, and others sometime soon) concerns is really just not on.

BANNED

Carol lookin' so good. Really would have loved the look even more if she were wearing black tights instead of shorts but that's a nitpick.