Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Default Dark Nights : Metal 2 [SPOILERS]

Well, what an issue. Beware the spoiers however.

spoilers:
    First thing first, despite all his contingencies, Batman was found. The league was quite competent, all in all. I'm not too happy that they stumbled upon the Parliament of Trees without knowing, but well, I can live with that. I also really like Clayface here. Overall, this first part is a great nod to both the current state of the Batline and the vastness of the D.C. Universe, thanks to Swamp Thing.

Now, the big problem for me was Baby Darkseid. I don't even begin to understand how Batman got his hands on him. perhaps thanks to Dream ? Anyway, I like that Dream is still there, giving counsel to Batman, but I wonder why he did not warn him about the tomb. Is it not possible for him to do so ? In any case, the coming of the Strygidae and the Court of Owls was interesting, with the Owls being in fact the Judas of the Bird -which is rather clever, since the owls have traditionally been associated to darkness during the medieval era, and I know I've read stories where they were depicted as cast out from the other birds' flock.

I'm glad to see Batmanium again, and the apparition of the Bats out of Hell was great, with Barbatos behind them. If anything, I felt the issue too short, because I can't wait to see where the story will go. I really like the lettering of Barbatos' talk, I find it a good idea to convey his power. But I don't understand what he did to Diana and Clark. Did he corrupt them ? If so, how will they survive the seven Bats out of Hell ?

And you, what did you think about this issue ?
    end of spoilers
    Last edited by Korath; 09-13-2017 at 01:04 AM.

well uh

spoilers:
    i enjoyed that batman is shown to be uncharacteristically afraid and have his plans spoiled here.
    i didnt want this to would turn into a PIS batman beats everyone story, thank you Scott Snyder.

the batman who laugh's robins were freaking sick and disgusting.
    i wonder if the crow phrase they keep repeating has anything to do with crowbar

the solicits for Metal #3 say superman's whisked away to the dark dimension, i guess him and WW are going to save batman there

end of spoilers
    What we used to call life has very little worth these days. Welcome to the very edge.
    --Prince Namor (Earth-616)

Another awesome issue, loved almost everything. It was refreshing to see Batman scared, I mean really scared. I think Barbatos was draining them, probably their life force. According to the solicits for the next issue, Superman is pulled into the mystery of Dark Multiverse and Diana is searching for a weapon to stop the invasion along with others. So only Clark is going to the dark multiverse.

Superman calling Batman and himself as brothers was the best part.

Oh and spoilers:
    Baby Darkseid
    end of spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by Superfan90 View Post
    Superman calling Batman and himself as brothers was the best part.
    Yeah, it was really moving. It made me sad that it wasn't Bruce there. However, I've noticed something strange.

spoilers:
    If the CoW knew who Batman was... why did they try to kill him ? Ot were those two guys actually Barbatos Cultist inside the CoW itself ? Otherwise, the first two arcs of Batman New 52 don't really make sense now.
    end of spoilers

Edit : and is it me or do Baby Darkseid really is doing the "metal" sign with his right hand when the Bats out of Hell appears ?
    Last edited by Korath; 09-13-2017 at 05:33 AM.

Metal was fun. Nightwing made the issue for me though Damian and Superman had good moments. so there are 5 demented Robins and they are cannibals.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Baby darkseid was a complete left field surprise from me, glad that plot line was picked up.

BANNED

I loved baby darkseid appearing in the issue and the shoutout to final crisis. The baby speaking the omega sign as the owls were devoured by the robins was a darkly twisted adorable moment. when is bruce is going to stop trying to do it all himself instead of taking his allies in confidence? He is really always trying to seek a means to self destruct or sacrifice himself due to his survivors sense of guilt.

I found it really disturbing that Baby Darkseid was so "cute" to me in this issue. Perhaps that Snyder want to prepare the readership for the next Robin, still with his diapers ?

So did Grail just hand over baby Darkseid to Batman?

I think he stole the baby. Don't know how, however, nor when. Probably with some help from Dream.

Superman and Batman brothers! This is just what i wanted. I just don't get it why people want them to fight.This is just what the doctor ordered. At one time they were heading World's Finest and then after DKR they have fought so many times that they both appear like morons. This book will be read by a lot of people. This may hopefully shut the ideas about this non-existent rivalry. Thank you Mr. Scott Snyder. You are the best.
    Last edited by Soubhagya; 09-13-2017 at 07:35 AM.

Spectacular Member

This really was a lot of fun and I'm continuing to enjoy this.
    Snyder has really done his research, loved the darkseid baby appearance, but hope it doesn't clash with James Robinson's upcoming Wonder Woman arc which we know Grail is heavily involved in.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Calvinr View Post
    This really was a lot of fun and I'm continuing to enjoy this.
    Snyder has really done his research, loved the darkseid baby appearance, but hope it doesn't clash with James Robinson's upcoming Wonder Woman arc which we know Grail is heavily involved in.
    Yeah, but to be fair, we haven't seen baby darkseid mentioned in any of the solicits or covers of that upcoming WW arc. Maybe Grail gets into it with WW because she lost darkseid? idk

Amazing Member

This comic is nuts...almost Grant Morrison level nuts...and I mean that in a good way. A good event makes you wonder how the JLA will survive and beat these guys. Also if anyone was old enough to read the original Dark Knight/Dark City when it came out...seeing Barbatos as the ultimate Bat villain is a loving nod to continuity.