Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    Chad Jar Jar Pinsir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Naboo
    Posts
    4,152

    Justice League Vol 3 #29 (Spoilers)

    We still discuss individual issues right? Right!?

    I've been biting to read this since ever since the big reveal last time and oh boy, this was good. We got Wonder Woman's son (I don't know his name) trying to commit matricide and Wonder Woman in response almost necks him. I'd give it a solid 10/10 because it made me howl.

    Though if this Sovereign villain is actually Batman's daughter/granddaughter I'm going to deposit this arc into the trash bin where it belongs.
    Want to read Wonder Woman stories, but don't know where to start? Check out my top 10 lists for Golden Age, Silver Age, Bronze Age and Modern Age Wonder Woman tales!

  2. #2
    Judgement Awaits LordAllMIghty's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Dallas
    Posts
    4,637

    Default

    I haven't read the story yet...but I kind of lost interest once I found out he wasn't Superman and Wonder Woman's son. Then the whole Wonder Woman abandoning her child because he wasn't a girl was also silly to me.

    Plus I'm 75% sure Sovereign is probably a mad version of Diana. Who left her child because some power drove her crazy.
    I've seen your end and it starts with you challenging me.

  3. #3
    Extraordinary Member adrikito's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Gotham City
    Posts
    6,934

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LordAllMIghty View Post

    Plus I'm 75% sure Sovereign is probably a mad version of Diana. Who left her child because some power drove her crazy.
    THE SAME.. She is Diana after absorb the Olympics powers or something like this, like Darkseid origin in N52..

    The kids want Diana death..

  4. #4
    Ultimate Member Sacred Knight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    17,042

    Default

    I'm pretty darn sure Diana ISN'T Sovereign just because on the surface its way too neat and obvious. Everything the kids are doing, the narrative has been clear to show that they're completely in the dark on most key aspects. Example; Hunter has ZERO proof of his suspicions about his mother including why she abandoned him. This is a classic "everything you know is wrong" set up. That Diana is their first target strongly suggests she's the wrong target.

    In fact I'm beginning to lean toward a surprise reveal that Sovereign's Lois. Curry is miffed at himself when Lois gets injured while he's taking Superman. Maybe because he knows he should've been more careful as to not put the past version of his master in danger? Jon dies in the future. A reason for her to go mad? Sovereign wears a costume that has some similarities to Batman's Hellbat suit. Lois has worn the Hellbat suit before. Lois is mad at Bruce for finding out he has failsafe devices to kill her husband and the other Leaguers. Batman is nowhere to be found in the future. Killed by Sovereign as revenge?
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 09-21-2017 at 01:52 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

    "“Your boos mean nothing, I’ve seen what makes you cheer!”

  5. #5
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    2,992

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    I'm pretty darn sure Diana ISN'T Sovereign just because on the surface its way too neat and obvious. Everything the kids are doing, the narrative has been clear to show that they're completely in the dark on most key aspects. Example; Hunter has ZERO proof of his suspicions about his mother including why she abandoned him. This is a classic "everything you know is wrong" set up. That Diana is their first target strongly suggests she's the wrong target.

    In fact I'm beginning to lean toward a surprise reveal that Sovereign's Lois. Curry is miffed at himself when Lois gets injured while he's taking Superman. Maybe because he knows he should've been more careful as to not put the past version of his master in danger? Jon dies in the future. A reason for her to go mad? Sovereign wears a costume that has some similarities to Batman's Hellbat suit. Lois has worn the Hellbat suit before. Lois is mad at Bruce for finding out he has failsafe devices to kill her husband and the other Leaguers. Batman is nowhere to be found in the future. Killed by Sovereign as revenge?
    That's a very good theory now that you mentioned, but then without Wonder Woman being Sovereign, we really don't have a reason why Diana abandon him besides him being a male. The Sovereign part would make more sense.

  6. #6
    Spectacular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    133

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post

    I've been biting to read this since ever since the big reveal last time and oh boy, this was good. We got Wonder Woman's son (I don't know his name) trying to commit matricide and Wonder Woman in response almost necks him. I'd give it a solid 10/10 because it made me howl.
    Some solid mother-son bonding time.

  7. #7
    Mighty Member richalex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    The Chi
    Posts
    1,364

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by leo619 View Post
    That's a very good theory now that you mentioned, but then without Wonder Woman being Sovereign, we really don't have a reason why Diana abandon him besides him being a male. The Sovereign part would make more sense.
    Unless Diana is Dead. He would be too young to remember WHY Clark and Lois raised him. Maybe Diana didn't abandon him.

    Or Diana could be away, trying to find a way to prevent Sovereign from winning in the long run. Maybe that's why the kids are on Olympus because it is relatively safe. Maybe Diana is away trying to find the Old Gods, and she asked Clark and Lois to raise Hunter while she is away, and it's just taken this long for her to come bck.
    Last edited by richalex; 09-21-2017 at 03:04 PM.
    Richard Alexander

  8. #8
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    2,992

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by richalex View Post
    Unless Diana is Dead. He would be too young to remember WHY Clark and Lois raised him. Maybe Diana didn't abandon him.

    Or Diana could be away, trying to find a way to prevent Sovereign from winning in the long run. Maybe that's why the kids are on Olympus because it is relatively safe. Maybe Diana is away trying to find the Old Gods, and she asked Clark and Lois to raise Hunter while she is away, and it's just taken this long for her to come bck.
    I don't see Diana being dead, if she was, that would have been an easy fix for Clark and Lois would have told him. To believe that she abandon him must mean that Diana's fate has to be in limbo somewhere to where Clark or Lois wouldn't even know. So I don't see the dead part as possibility.

    As for why she abandon him, that of course is the huge question. But there has been no real clues presented in the story to indicate why she did neglect him. So literally every storyline could be a possibility, including the shunned because she's a boy part. There's just no clues which is weird.

  9. #9
    Chad Jar Jar Pinsir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Naboo
    Posts
    4,152

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by leo619 View Post
    I don't see Diana being dead, if she was, that would have been an easy fix for Clark and Lois would have told him. To believe that she abandon him must mean that Diana's fate has to be in limbo somewhere to where Clark or Lois wouldn't even know. So I don't see the dead part as possibility.

    As for why she abandon him, that of course is the huge question. But there has been no real clues presented in the story to indicate why she did neglect him. So literally every storyline could be a possibility, including the shunned because she's a boy part. There's just no clues which is weird.
    I would say this is the primary narrative problem with the arc, it's great to have shocking twists and all that, but we don't have answers as to why. Why do the kids want to kill Wonder Woman, what is their reasoning for this misdeed? We don't have one.

    The second problem I have is more personal in that, though I do love images of Wonder Woman's son saying she isn't really her mother , a lot of fans were waiting for a story that featured a Wonderboy character for decades and, well Wonderboy wants to kill Wondermom. The other kids love their parents, and even surrogate parents, but, no, Wonder Woman is a scumbag (and Aquaborg too I guess).
    Want to read Wonder Woman stories, but don't know where to start? Check out my top 10 lists for Golden Age, Silver Age, Bronze Age and Modern Age Wonder Woman tales!

  10. #10
    Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    5,390

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    I would say this is the primary narrative problem with the arc, it's great to have shocking twists and all that, but we don't have answers as to why. Why do the kids want to kill Wonder Woman, what is their reasoning for this misdeed? We don't have one.

    The second problem I have is more personal in that, though I do love images of Wonder Woman's son saying she isn't really her mother , a lot of fans were waiting for a story that featured a Wonderboy character for decades and, well Wonderboy wants to kill Wondermom. The other kids love their parents, and even surrogate parents, but, no, Wonder Woman is a scumbag (and Aquaborg too I guess).
    I imagine they'll reconcile.

  11. #11
    Mighty Member pageturner's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    1,884

    Default

    A while back there was mention of a male Amazon I don't expect this to lead to that but it has made me think of it.

    Diana is probably a good call.

    It could be a New Gods thing but I hope not.

  12. #12
    Mighty Member JLH's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    1,035

    Default

    This is the first storyline in this JL series that hasn't bored me and that I'm actually enjoying. Hope the wrap-up doesn't disappoint.

  13. #13
    Incredible Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    905

    Default

    Anyone else feeling like this is what Hitch wanted to write all the time and all the arcs was just him laying the pieces?


    I'm going to repeat my post on the Superman forum:


    I don't think Sovereign is Diana.
    1. That's the most cliche and previsible option.
    2. I'm reading JL 26 right now and during their fight with Sovereign, Sovereign says to Hunter "and you? As worthless as the day you were first given life. It's no surprise your mother abandoned you". Notice "Your Mother". Granted, Sovereign Diana might not even see her self as Diana any longer, or be possessed. Or just keeping herself secret. But the "your mother" is interesting.

    We got four women here who are possible candidates:
    - Diana
    - Mera
    - Jessica
    - Lois

    3. Sovereign is described as angry and merciless with the few survivors of the big war. Why? Coming back to the candidates:
    - Diana: Angry at humanity? This seems how she's being played in this arc.
    - Mera: Angry at... what? Arthur survived (well, sorta). Dory is alive and Atlantis was too.
    - Jessica: Jessica is not the angry type. She has living children. Why would she get pissed at the world and become evil? Because Barry (to whom she is married in that future) died?
    - Lois: Clark and Jon apparently died in the big fight (or disappeared). Her husband and son dead, Lois might get angry and steal Batman's tech, and then start studying the league's archives, taking their artifacts and tech and adding them to her arsenal, until she becomes that powerful.

    4. The Means:
    Sovereign seems to be either technological or magically-powered. Possibly both. I'm leaning towards tech. Someone above pointed that her suit looks like the Hellbat suit.
    - Diana certainly has the sheer power. Also, ties to Olympus.
    - Mera is quite powerful too, but we have never seen use her own powers, which are quite characteristic.
    - Jessica is just a human female with a oan ring. Could be using another type of tech. What I find interesting is the black ring in Curry's hands, how did Sovereign get him that black ring? That could point to Jessica being Sovereign. Black Ring = Lantern Lore.
    - Lois too is just human. But she's quite smart, and has used the Hellbat suit before.

    Diana's being angry at MANkind could explain why she saw Hunter be born (be made? Like, the clay origin? GIVEN life) and abandoned him at birth.

    Of the four, I can see Diana or Lois being Sovereign. Mera doesn't have much reason, but Aquaman recently had an arc (The Deluge) about a prophecy where Mera could have turned into a world-ending mad queen. Of all the four, I would Mera is the most unstable - Mera has ALWAYS been written as being crazy or prone to insanity. I can see the path for Mera, but not the whys. Jessica would be a total dark horse. Adorable little Jessica Cruz becoming evil?! I can't imagine that at all!

    Diana seems like such a obvious red herring, so I'm going with Lois is Sovereign. Sacred Knight is right!

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •