Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 216
  1. #1
    Mighty Member sureshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    1,551

    Default Mystique Appreciation

    The place where we can discuss Raven Darkholme, our favorite Shapeshifter!

    She has always been one of my favorite characters from the X-franchise. A character with both shades of good and bad. With more complexity than most villains in the Marvel Universe. Even though they have ruined the character as of late. No motivations beyond sociopath, psychopath, anti-X-men obession.
    Last edited by Conn Seanery; 01-02-2019 at 09:47 PM.
    Jean loves me this I know because the church says it so.

    Havok and Emma were right.

  2. #2
    Astonishing Member Celestial's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    2,234

    Default

    She was one of the first X-characters I ever saw and she's always been my all time favorite. I also hate what they've done to her character lately. She just seems so one note.

  3. #3
    Mighty Member sureshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    1,551

    Default

    I guess not too much love for the backstabbing, treacherous, blue skinned shapeshifter.
    Jean loves me this I know because the church says it so.

    Havok and Emma were right.

  4. #4
    Mighty Member sureshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    1,551

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix Avatar View Post
    She was one of the first X-characters I ever saw and she's always been my all time favorite. I also hate what they've done to her character lately. She just seems so one note.
    The sad part is the best portrayal has been in the X-movies so far imo. Outside of the movies the character has been written badly for so long.
    Jean loves me this I know because the church says it so.

    Havok and Emma were right.

  5. #5

    Default

    Mystique is one of my all time favorite characters. I completely love how Claremont, Carey, David, Milligan, ext. wrote her as a villain who committed crimes with an useful initiative/alibi behind it. The dynamics between her, Destiny, and Rogue were spectacular as well. I really would love a book that centers upon those three as a family.

    Nowadays I agree she is just written as one-note and psychotic with no measure. Don't even dare get me started with how she's portrayed in the media, being portrayed as one of Magneto's lackeys when she has nothing to do with him in the comics. She is a leader of her own, and is even more dangerous than him. Though I will say Romijn was great with what she was given. JLaw was very much miscast on the other hand.

  6. #6
    Junior Member jdtennesse's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    214

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sureshot View Post
    She has always been one of my favorite characters from the X-franchise. A character with both shades of good and bad. With more complexity than most villains in the Marvel Universe. Even though they have ruined the character as of late. No motivations beyond sociopath, psychopath, anti-X-men obession.
    Agree. As most characters, I liked her best at her beginning. Also, her relationship with Irene, whether or not they were lovers. How much she cared for her step-daughter Rogue. Miss that. Now, it's like no character has any personality to speak of.

  7. #7
    Senior Member jazzflower92's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    California
    Posts
    557

    Default

    Lets not forget her being Nightcralwer's mother. And her current fling with Sabertooth. I wonder why they didn't show her reacting to his death because that would have been some interesting depth into her character now that another of her children has died. And about her and Sabertooth getting together how long will that last.

  8. #8
    Mighty Member sureshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    1,551

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jazzflower92 View Post
    Lets not forget her being Nightcralwer's mother. And her current fling with Sabertooth. I wonder why they didn't show her reacting to his death because that would have been some interesting depth into her character now that another of her children has died. And about her and Sabertooth getting together how long will that last.
    I try to forget as often as possible that Sabertooth and Mystique are in a relationship. Both characters hated each other. Yet that was retconned so that they could make them a couple. I guess writing them as a teammates who hate each other but willing to work towards a common goals would have been too difficult. At least Azazel is back in the picture. I rather she be in a relationship with that character. Strange as it may seem I always pictured Wolverine and Mystique as a couple. Both characters are more similar than either cares to admit. It would be great if the writers did more stories exploring and involving Mystique and Nightcralwer. Instead he retruns and the first thing she does is pull a gun on him. Since he was preventing her from once again trolling the X-men. I do think the relationship between Rogue and Mystique is over. When one adoptive daughter tries to kill you because she can't stand you anymore. There is no coming back from that imo.

    Quote Originally Posted by jdtennesse View Post
    Agree. As most characters, I liked her best at her beginning. Also, her relationship with Irene, whether or not they were lovers. How much she cared for her step-daughter Rogue. Miss that. Now, it's like no character has any personality to speak of.
    Agreed and seconded. Though like I said if you read the end of Messiah Complex the Rogue/Mystique relationship is over. It would take a writer doing much character development with both characters before we Rogue want to be within 1000 ft of Mystique.

    Quote Originally Posted by Project Initiative Cascada View Post
    Mystique is one of my all time favorite characters. I completely love how Claremont, Carey, David, Milligan, ext. wrote her as a villain who committed crimes with an useful initiative/alibi behind it. The dynamics between her, Destiny, and Rogue were spectacular as well. I really would love a book that centers upon those three as a family.
    Unless they bring back Destiny. Spend a lot of time developing Rogue and Mystique wanting to talk to each other. It just not going to happen. The writers made sure to wreck any relationship Rogue had with Mystique. Unless it gets retconned. Or they develop a story where Rogue and Mystique have to work together. Saving each others lives in the process they are imo bitter enemies.


    Quote Originally Posted by jazzflower92 View Post
    Nowadays I agree she is just written as one-note and psychotic with no measure. Don't even dare get me started with how she's portrayed in the media, being portrayed as one of Magneto's lackeys when she has nothing to do with him in the comics. She is a leader of her own, and is even more dangerous than him. Though I will say Romijn was great with what she was given. JLaw was very much miscast on the other hand.
    I don't like her being one of Magnetos lackeys in the movies. Though from what I'm hearing she maybe doing her own thing in the upcoming X-movie. Working with Mags yet not a lackey. Still you have to admit that the movies portrayal of the character is so much better than what we have seen in comics lately imo. Another thign that bothers me how the writers make the character escape revenge and retribution from other characters. Almost all the time. I'm all for competent villains. Yet when they are written as escaping at the last minute every time it kind of gets boring.

    What I would like to see is what is being done with the Magneto solo series. A well written anti-hero.
    Last edited by sureshot; 05-04-2014 at 06:56 PM.
    Jean loves me this I know because the church says it so.

    Havok and Emma were right.

  9. #9
    Senior Member jazzflower92's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    California
    Posts
    557

    Default

    Its been a while since Azazel has been in the picture. I heard he's becoming popular due to his portrayal in X-Men:First Class. It would be fun if a writer found a way to save him from the scrappy heap.

    Now back to a relationship with Wolverine and Mystique. It would mean that Wolverine would be a stepfather to his best friend since him and Nightcawler have been the best of pals since they both first joined the X-Men.

    Lastly about how Nocturne and Mystique have an encounter with one another. It would be fun to see her reaction to her alternate reality granddaughter.

  10. #10
    Astonishing Member Celestial's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    2,234

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Project Initiative Cascada View Post
    Mystique is one of my all time favorite characters. I completely love how Claremont, Carey, David, Milligan, ext. wrote her as a villain who committed crimes with an useful initiative/alibi behind it. The dynamics between her, Destiny, and Rogue were spectacular as well. I really would love a book that centers upon those three as a family.

    Nowadays I agree she is just written as one-note and psychotic with no measure. Don't even dare get me started with how she's portrayed in the media, being portrayed as one of Magneto's lackeys when she has nothing to do with him in the comics. She is a leader of her own, and is even more dangerous than him. Though I will say Romijn was great with what she was given. JLaw was very much miscast on the other hand.
    I'm glad I'm not the only one who believes this. I hated Mystique in first class, although JLaw is entirely to blame. I'll se what she can do when DoFP comes out.

  11. #11
    Mighty Member sureshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    1,551

    Default

    With the state of movies as is the days of casting a unknown vs a popular actor/actress are gone imo. Even if the unknown does a better job. I think that Jlaw does a decent job. Not the best. Certainly not the worst. At least the movies show the character with the same complexity like they used to write her.

    Quote Originally Posted by jazzflower92 View Post
    Its been a while since Azazel has been in the picture. I heard he's becoming popular due to his portrayal in X-Men:First Class. It would be fun if a writer found a way to save him from the scrappy heap.
    Next to Sabertooth, Azzael is so much better imo. Not to mention the way the write the character he comes across like one of those rakes one sees in romance novels. Or evil yet charismatic soap opera villain. Nor am I surprised that the movie made the character popular. When a character is written well in a movie or gets enough exposure imo they get popular

    Quote Originally Posted by jazzflower92 View Post
    Now back to a relationship with Wolverine and Mystique. It would mean that Wolverine would be a stepfather to his best friend since him and Nightcawler have been the best of pals since they both first joined the X-Men.
    To me it would just be a extension of their relationship. Mentor, friend, then father figure. It's never going to happen imo.

    Quote Originally Posted by jazzflower92 View Post
    Lastly about how Nocturne and Mystique have an encounter with one another. It would be fun to see her reaction to her alternate reality granddaughter.
    It would be interesting to see. As well Nocturne could be a replacement for Rogue. As Rogue wants nothing to do with Mystique at least for now.
    Last edited by sureshot; 05-05-2014 at 05:56 AM.
    Jean loves me this I know because the church says it so.

    Havok and Emma were right.

  12. #12
    Incredible Member Black Angel's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Everywhere and Nowhere
    Posts
    986

    Default

    i love mystique a a villain, but boy is she a bad mom and now i can add raze to the list LOLOL. Still what is she planning to do with my girl dazzler what new end game does she have now.

  13. #13
    Astonishing Member From The Shadows's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Salem Center, NY
    Posts
    2,139

    Default

    Great idea, sureshot!

    Here is some awesome classic art by Dave Cockrum who had helped create Mystique!


  14. #14
    Astonishing Member Enigmatic Undead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    2,450
    "It is wrong to assume that art needs the spectator in order to be. The film runs on without any eyes. The spectator cannot exist without it. It ensures his existence." -- James Douglas Morrison

  15. #15
    Mighty Member sureshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    1,551

    Default

    Thanks for the art. Some great work by the artists.

    Too bad they keep ruining the character. In the latest All New X-men # 27. Apparently having sex fantasies with Prof X. In the form of Moira McTaggert. Getting pregnant and lacking the courage to raise her child. She has the courage to troll the X-mne 24/7 though. What a step backwards in character development. Just so they can find a reason to cash in on the new X-men movie.
    Jean loves me this I know because the church says it so.

    Havok and Emma were right.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •