Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default SPOILERS: Mr and Mrs X #4 Recap and Review Thread

Mr and Mrs X #4 opens with Gambit and Rogue engaged in one of their favorite activities: bondage. They are both hanging upside-down, their powers suppressed, bound by heavy-duty chains. They were apparently captured when they attempted to infiltrate Chandilar. I say "apparently," because it turns out that it was a deliberate ruse to be taken to the maximum-security facility where Cerise believed that Xandra was being held.

Rogue has hidden a lockpick in her mouth. Gambit manages to extract it with his tongue, before proceeding to pick his locks with his mouth. It is all very impressive and sexy and acrobatic, and he tops it off by opening her locks, doing a backflip, and catching her. I always appreciate it when a writer remembers how athletic Gambit should be.

After they dispatch with the remaining chains, they find Xandra's "egg." Xandra hugs Rogue, much to Rogue's consternation. She explains that she is able to disguise herself by pushing on people's brains, and turns Gambit and Rogue into members of the Imperial Guard. Notably, Gambit gets an Guy Fieri-esque hairstyle; it is spiky and has frosted tips and promises a trip to flavor town. Xandra decides she wants to turn herself into Warstar, as she likes the idea of having a built-in friend. She is very cute and endearing, and I think she should become the official replacement for Honey Badger.

In a Shi'ar escape ship, Rogue is having trouble hailing Cerise, and notes correctly that Carol may kill her if she fails to return the ship. However, before Carol can get her shots in, the Starjammers do. Rogue and Gambit are confused, because they are theoretically their allies. Xandra psychically investigates, and discovers that Cerise is on the Starjammers' ship. Cerise directs them to land on the nearby moon to rendezvous. Corsair explains that they thought Gambit and Rogue were the Imperial Guard, and attacked them for that reason. The Starjammers still feel as if they're one space cameo too many, after the past few issues of space cameos. I'm not sure that they add much narrative value in this issue, but that may change in the next.

With the confusion resolved, Cerise and Xandra have a sweet reunion, where Xandra remembers how Cerise's mind was the first one she know, and how she would sing and tell stories to her. At that point, Xandra offers to repay Rogue by reaching into her mind and turning off her powers. Rogue hesitates on the point of refusal, and Gambit pulls her aside for a private conversation. This conversation is the best scene of the book; both characters and their perspectives are perfectly written, and I think it's worth reproducing for discussion, since it's Rogue's clearest articulation of how she would like to approach her powers and gaining control of them.

mmx41.jpg
    mmx42.jpg

Gambit and Rogue's conversation is interrupted by the arrival of the Imperial Guard in full force. A giant battle ensues -- literally, since Titan is involved.

Just as the X-Men and the Starjammers seem to be getting the upperhand, Deathbird and the Deathbirds of Prey arrive. Deathbird catches Gambit with her lance in the side, and drives him to the ground. She stands above him, and contemplates whether she wants to finish him or not.

At this point, matters get confusing. Gambit and Rogue look meaningfully at each other, but it's not clear to me what they are trying to communicate. Rogue touches Xandra's face; presumably, she wants to absorb her powers, but I am not sure why she couldn't tell Xandra to use them herself. Rogue and Xandra begin to glow, and then they go nova. They explode, leaving behind a glittery, green and black slick. Even in death, Rogue cannot escape being green.

Did Rogue know that would happen? Did Xandra communicate it to her? Was the explosion the point? Why was that the plan? I know some of these answers may be revealed in the final issue of the arc, but I'm not sure the storytelling works well at this point. I'm more puzzled than intrigued. It feels as if something has been lost been in communication between writer and artist.

To resurrect a Victorian metaphor, this issue felt a little like the curate's egg to me. It was genuinely excellent when it focused on the characters and their relationships. The scenes between Rogue and Gambit, and between Xandra and Cerise shone for me. However, the Starjammers added very little to the story, and the final battle scene started out as generic and became confusing. I feel as if the arc could have benefited from a quieter issue to break up the pace, and allow the characters and the narrative to breathe.

8/10
    Last edited by DearMachine; 10-17-2018 at 05:14 PM.

Great review, DearMachine. Spot on.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by DearMachine View Post
    The Starjammers still feel as if they're one space cameo too many, after the past few issues of space cameos.
    I kind of agree, but in the context of married couples in space, Hepzibah and Corsair could fit nicely.

I liked this issue a lot. The conversation about Rogue's decision to leave her powers how they are was great, the art was better than last issue, there was a good amount of action, and the banter was good as always.

The only problem I have right now is that it seems like a lot to wrap up in one issue, but this is still currently my favorite X-book on the stands right now by a wide margin.

Thanks for getting the ball rolling DearMachine! Nice review!

I REALLY enjoyed this issue, mainly for the bondage escape scene which was fun and sexy and clever AND for the touching and emotional discussion/argument over Rogue's powers. These are the comic moments I really live for and they were enough to make this issue well worth the read for me.

Also the time taken to establish who Xandra is and her relationship with Cerise was great and also intriguing. She really is an endearing character, so hopefully she'll stick around the X-verse and isn't actually dead.

The dialogue throughout really just was spot on perfect to me and Oscar's art is REALLY starting to work for me. The costume designs for their Shi'ar disguises are striking. Colors throughout are beautiful.

The action scene at the end was serviceable and apparently an homage to UXM #275 which I was not quite old school enough to catch.

The end is very confusing and that might be intentional? Couldn't tell how they exploded, though it seems to be generated by Xandra and Rogue is also confused/scared. Possibly it's an illusion? Very much looking forward to the next issue to find out what happened and how it will impact our heroes since clearly it was real to them.

I was hoping to see more sneaking around the Shi'ar Empire, but I sense there was a time crunch. While the appearance of the Starjammers makes sense, it did feel like it moved a little fast. However assuming we get more of them next issue it didn't bother me.

So is it Zandra or Exandra?

Astonishing Member Gambit, King of Thieves's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CGAR View Post
    It's Xandra
    Cyclops was SO DAMN RIGHT, BABY
    Pull list: X-23, Mr. & Mrs. X, Extermination, Spider-Gwen: Ghost Spider, Uncanny X-Men
    Have been informed that the Black Swans are "only seeking female members, but thank you very much for your time"

I'm actually going to say this is my favorite issue of this series so far. It gave me two things I've wanted for awhile, one is setting up a start for Rogue to begin the road to learning about her powers and gaining control of them herself. No skipping straight to total control like Carey did by using someone else to do it for her. It's not going to mean anything if there isn't any growing pains and the journey is half the fun.

For the second part, better action against the Imperial Guard. Issue 1 was barely anything and this one felt a bit short as well. Unlike most people, I actually wanted more. I got nostalgic feels from the 90s cartoon seeing Rogue clobber Titan. Now for her to fight Gladiator but win this time...

Yeah so how is it pronounced?

Yeah so how is it pronounced?
    https://tmblr.co/ZHi4jv2c1SXsx

Quote Originally Posted by ChronoRogue View Post
    I'm actually going to say this is my favorite issue of this series so far. It gave me two things I've wanted for awhile, one is setting up a start for Rogue to begin the road to learning about her powers and gaining control of them herself. No skipping straight to total control like Carey did by using someone else to do it for her. It's not going to mean anything if there isn't any growing pains and the journey is half the fun.

For the second part, better action against the Imperial Guard. Issue 1 was barely anything and this one felt a bit short as well. Unlike most people, I actually wanted more. I got nostalgic feels from the 90s cartoon seeing Rogue clobber Titan. Now for her to fight Gladiator but win this time...
    It reminded me of her vs Master Mold in x men tas, i think it was him in the opening.

Wonderful review as always DearMachine. The art has been improving for me and the colors are as strong as ever. My favorite aspect of the book was Rogue's power control issues being addressed. I can't believe this arc is nearly over. Hopefully the final issue won't feel as rushed as the last half of this issue.

This has certainly been my favorite issue of the series so far. Next to the first issue of course because of wedding and honeymoon reasons.

It's pronounced "Zandra"
    Quote Originally Posted by DearMachine View Post
    I feel as if, uh, little Remy would make an issue sell more than little Bruce.

Astonishing Member

The first part was the best, the last part might have been somewhat confusing on purpose. Because we're not supposed to know what happened yet. A little rushed is a fair criticism though. I'm more convinced that Xandra stays with Cercise at the end, which works.

Extraordinary Member Master of Sound's Avatar

Very nice review and summary!!!

Who of the Imperial Guard were there?
    "COURAGE, DON'T YOU DARE LET ME DOWN"
    ==================================================
    ==================================================

Thank you for review, DearMachine.

It was ok issue for me.
    Escape was amazing, Gambit/Rogue scene was fine, ending and last fight was rushed and messy.

It was a fine issue but the weakest so far.

I am in minority but I missed Deadpool`s jokes.

Thank you for the review DearMchine.

Quote Originally Posted by Master of Sound View Post
    Very nice review and summary!!!

Who of the Imperial Guard were there?
    I counted Titan, Nightside, Warstar, Electron, Astra, Hussar, Pulsar, Flashfire, and Manta. I think that was every one.

Quote Originally Posted by Purplevit View Post

It was ok issue for me.

It was a fine issue but the weakest so far

I am in minority but I missed Deadpool`s jokes.
    I would say that it was a very good but not great issue. So even though I would agree that it was the weakest issue so far, it was still a good one.

And I am joining you in the minority, as I also miss Deadpool's jokes.
    Last edited by Thievery; 10-17-2018 at 11:35 PM. Reason: my spelling is still bad