Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Thirteen View Post
    Hoping that the orange is symbolic of the “villainous” characters being prisoners on release or some such....
    Sorry, I just saw your post. I never thought of the orange uniforms that way, I just took them as matching uniform colors that no other team was using. Your answer would make a lot of sense.

Quote Originally Posted by AbnormallyNormal View Post
    Feelings/opinions on her in the Weapon X series?
    So, I think that I am the only person to answer this one so far. Is it because readers are waiting to read more stories with her in it, or are Mystique fans simply not reading Weapon X?

BANNED

I find Lena Olin (Alias) and Khandi Alexander (Scandal) to be intriguing candidates for portraying the live action Mystique.

Quote Originally Posted by Thirteen View Post
    Hoping that the orange is symbolic of the “villainous” characters being prisoners on release or some such....
    This looks interesting and I like the team line-up. However, the black and yellow costume for her is a no-no in my opinion. I don't like it for Lady Deathstrike either.
    We are the Dora Milaje. We are the daughters of the 18 tribes of Wakanda. We are the teeth of the Panther God. Out of 10,000 years of sweat and bloodshed and battle are we born. We are the women of this ancient land. Deadliest of the species. And our time has come!

Astonishing Member Gambit, King of Thieves's Avatar

Fourteen pages in four years. Wow. Why is there no appreciation for the best X-Men villain?
    Cyclops was SO DAMN RIGHT, BABY
    Pull list: X-23, Mr. & Mrs. X, Extermination, Spider-Gwen: Ghost Spider, Uncanny X-Men
    Have been informed that the Black Swans are "only seeking female members, but thank you very much for your time"

Oversaturation and characterization fatigue.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gambit, King of Thieves View Post
    Fourteen pages in four years. Wow. Why is there no appreciation for the best X-Men villain?
    *cough*

https://community.cbr.com/showthread...ppreciation-II

Extraordinary Member Silver Fang's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CRaymond View Post
    Oversaturation and characterization fatigue.
    Gonna go with this partly.

When reading Weapon X, I was glad we finally got rid of Warpath and Mary Sue Logan. But no sooner than they left, we got Mystique thrown in. Saw more of her than I cared to in issue 22. Thankfully, she was hardly in chapters 23 + 24. Sadly, I think she's gonna make up for in the next 2 issues.

Not to mention how some characters get written as morons or incompetent losers when it comes to dealing with her. In addition to her being depicted as better than she should be -possibly due to the films. She's a movie-star, so she gets preferential treatment over the other characters she's in contact with -making her a Mary Sue of villains. Where she makes fools out of anyone around her, and never gets any comeuppance for her crimes. Similar thing Wolverine & Deadpool got going. It doesn't help when my favorites get punk'd out to these starlet characters either.

The interview on her for X-Men Black also gave the impression of her being a Mary Sue villain when the writer gushes about how great she is because she's the best & always beats everyone. PASS.
    Last edited by Silver Fang; 10-08-2018 at 12:38 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Fang View Post
    Gonna go with this partly.

When reading Weapon X, I was glad we finally got rid of Warpath and Mary Sue Logan. But no sooner than they left, we got Mystique thrown in. Saw more of her than I cared to in issue 22. Thankfully, she was hardly in chapters 23 + 24. Sadly, I think she's gonna make up for it in issues 25 + 26.

Not to mention how some characters get written as morons or incompetent losers when it comes to dealing with her. In addition to her being depicted as better than she should be -possibly due to the films. She's a film star, so she's gotta be treated better than half the other characters she's in contact with. Preferential treatment, making her a Mary Sue of villains. Where she makes fools out of anyone around her, and never gets any comeuppance for her crimes. Similar thing Wolverine & Deadpool got going. It doesn't help when my favorites get punk'd out to the starlet characters either.
    She was better in the years leading up to the movies. Her run in Xfactor, Sabertooth & Mystique, her own LS...she's always been a badass manipulative character. She was the anti-Wolverine. Someone just as old, but didn't pretend to be a hero when they killed someone.

Extraordinary Member Silver Fang's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteQueenEmmaFrost View Post
    She was better in the years leading up to the movies. Her run in Xfactor, Sabertooth & Mystique, her own LS...she's always been a badass manipulative character. She was the anti-Wolverine. Someone just as old, but didn't pretend to be a hero when they killed someone.
    I miss the 90's where Mystique could be a threat, but wasn't above getting embarrassed either. Example in the 90's, Mystique was not a match for Sabretooth.

When he was sent after her, she spent her time running from him, and trying to throw him off with mind-games. Or turning into monsters. But she was helpless whenever he got his hands on her. He took her out easily when they fought in X-Factor. Then gutted her again when he escaped X-Factor.

Now when we see her & Creed interact, he's treated as a big pet she has on a short leash. And at one point, she grabs his foot & throws him several feet with one hand. She has no business being able to do that.

This is the preferential treatment I mean. Same way Deadpool makes fools out of everyone in Weapon X, except Domino. He has no business manhandling Deathstrike, Omega Red, Sabretooth, and Monet simultaneously.
    Last edited by Silver Fang; 10-08-2018 at 12:42 PM.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

How'd Weapon X even get a legacy numbering?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Fang View Post
    I miss the 90's where
    creative teams actually worked together, adhered to continuity, and actually liked their jobs.

I get the feeling TPTB (editors, etc.) this is just a job and not what they want to actually do.

Astonishing Member AbnormallyNormal's Avatar

I like Mystique from the 80s best but sometimes she is portrayed decently

As a 1-note "i'm crazy and just want to mess with folks" ... eh it's ok for like AU stories sure

I think she is OK in Weapon X actually.
    Forget the old ways - Krakoa is god.

OBEY

The X-Men Black: Mystique comic was pretty good in my opinion. It showed a clever Mystique who wasn't afraid to use underhanded tactics to achieve her goals to fight for what she views is right for mutants.

There was a really good summary of the comic given by Killerbee911 in the spoiler thread, but it isn't getting many responses. I thought that I would post here just in case some Mystique fans follow this thread and aren't paying attention to the review thread.

Quote Originally Posted by ArchAngelSliver View Post
    The X-Men Black: Mystique comic was pretty good in my opinion. It showed a clever Mystique who wasn't afraid to use underhanded tactics to achieve her goals to fight for what she views is right for mutants.

There was a really good summary of the comic given by Killerbee911 in the spoiler thread, but it isn't getting many responses. I thought that I would post here just in case some Mystique fans follow this thread and aren't paying attention to the review thread.
    Yeah, I enjoyed the payoff and the deep delve into how she can use her powers outside of typical superfights, and how she still has the dark side of her personality for strangers. I'm also re-reading BKV's Mystique series, which remains a lot of fun. The split brain/4 arms moment where she wields 4 guns is still really inventive. (One-upping Skurge!)