Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
    Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Project Initiative Cascada View Post
    I'm very disappointed with how she's been handled lately. This whole crap with her hooking up with Xavier is obviously just correlated with the films, and is doing nothing but further ruining her character.

Besides that, what can Mystique do to redeem herself for her crimes against Dazzler? I highly doubt Dazzler will get justice, but I feel that as a quality character, Mystique should receive some punishment for what she did.
    Her character has already been ruined by Jason Aaron and others, long before Bendis came along. If anything, this is an opportunity to give her some complexity/dimension back (she works better that way). Oh and the "its because of the movies" argument kind of falls apart on account of the fact that they're essentially adoptive siblings in the films. If they really wanted to ape the movies, then they'd have her be secretly married to Magneto or something.

Quote Originally Posted by sureshot View Post
    I agree if done well. The problem is that Bendis takes forever to do so. Prof X would have to forgiven what was done to Moira. Or at the very least he had to marry her before Mystique killed Moira. As well I'm not sure if Bendis can pull it off. I also don't want it to be a trick on Mystique part. The X-men made to be fools by villains or a writers favored character(s) has been done to death. At this point you think the X-men would expect Mystique to try and pull something like this imo. At the very least not every X-men should believe that Prof X married Mystique if it is a plot imo.
    One thing Bendis does over and over is introduce something to the plot and then do a flashback to explain how this came to be.
    The flashback can be instant, but other times he let's it simmer for a while.
    And sometimes he devotes a few scenes to the topic, but often enough whole issues can be devoted to the reveal.
    For example New Avengers #26 - "The Ballad of Clint Barton and Wanda Maximoff" that showed via flashback how Hawkeye was reborn and everything he did before he reappeared in Avengers.
    Ultimate Spider-man's flashback issue for Kitty Pryde and plenty of others that I can't remember the issue numbers of.

So if the Mystique & Xavier marriage is real, I can see Bendis having an entire issue showing Xavier and Mystique getting together, falling in love and getting married.
    (That sounds so very wrong to write. LOL). So I look forward to reading that.
    Trying to catch up on 2 years of Marvel comics.....
    Comic Book Parody - Funny comic book stuff.
    X-Men: Drama of the Atom - An unfinished Battle of the Atom parody.

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher007 View Post
    How about we actually, you know, wait and see how it all plays out before jumping the gun and pre-judging things. I know it's hard for comic fans to do that, but lets at least try.
    While I don't want to see Mystique given the Horseman treatment myself. I'm not sure how they can salvage the character short of something so drastic. Marriage to Prof X just seems tacked on to generate sales imo.

Her character has already been ruined by Jason Aaron and others, long before Bendis came along. If anything, this is an opportunity to give her some complexity/dimension back (she works better that way). Oh and the "its because of the movies" argument kind of falls apart on account of the fact that they're essentially adoptive siblings in the films. If they really wanted to ape the movies, then they'd have her be secretly married to Magneto or something.
    While I want to see complexity written back into Mystique character. The whole she and Prof X secretly married and no one knows or noticed. Feels like it was pulled out of nowhere by Bendis to generate sales. There were many other ways that it could have been done imo. The character deserves better. That being said if it gives us the readers a better written Mystique. Or more than just a sociopath, psycho anti- X-men obsessed clown. I'm all for it. I do still think it's to tie in the movies.

Quote Originally Posted by anthony_lynch15 View Post
    One thing Bendis does over and over is introduce something to the plot and then do a flashback to explain how this came to be.
    The flashback can be instant, but other times he let's it simmer for a while.
    And sometimes he devotes a few scenes to the topic, but often enough whole issues can be devoted to the reveal.
    For example New Avengers #26 - "The Ballad of Clint Barton and Wanda Maximoff" that showed via flashback how Hawkeye was reborn and everything he did before he reappeared in Avengers.
    Ultimate Spider-man's flashback issue for Kitty Pryde and plenty of others that I can't remember the issue numbers of.

So if the Mystique & Xavier marriage is real, I can see Bendis having an entire issue showing Xavier and Mystique getting together, falling in love and getting married.
    (That sounds so very wrong to write. LOL). So I look forward to reading that.
    It's well known that Bendis likes to ignore what other writers have done with a character just so that he can write a story with a character. In this case ignoring that Mystique killed Moira to write a story where both Prof X and she get married. To be fair though it's not as bad as putting Mystique and the Shadow King on the same team. Which was worse. Yiu are right about Bendis using a flashback to introsuce a plot device. I don't mind it so much if it's well written. Like I said it just feels like they added the marriage in to generate sales and to tie in the movies. Still if we get a well written Mystique back in character I can forgive Bendis the marriage. If all we get is another trolling attempt from Mystique on the X-men I will be unimpressed. As well it needs to be a entire issue or even a mini-series. Something so big needs more than 2-4 pages in one issue. If it's something that Marvels wants to keep they need to retcon it in properly imo. The only true casualty of the entire thing is Dazzler. Poor Dazzler fans waiting to see Dazzler get revenge will probably be very dissapointed imo.
    Last edited by sureshot; 08-01-2014 at 08:07 AM.
    Jean loves me this I know because the church says it so.

Havok and Emma were right.

Oh I'm not blaming Bendis entirely, she was intelligent and cunning until Carey stopped writing her and Aaron took over to just make her a psycho for no reason.

And I am saying the movies are correlating to the comics now since it seems they are having Mystique interact with Xavier and Magneto more than she ever did in the past decades of her appearance. LIke the film universe, it seems they are starting to make it seem like her and Xavier had some past together that no one knew about. The only times I remember her speaking with Xavier was when she tried to murder him DOFP and the time she infiltrated the mansion to get back Rogue back in the 80s.

Either way I think we should wait and see what's going on. I think this "marriage" is a hoax and just a trick played by Daken or Mystique herself to get his assets lol.

Either way I think we should wait and see what's going on. I think this "marriage" is a hoax and just a trick played by Daken or Mystique herself to get his assets lol.
    I really hope not. Or at the very least not every X-men is fooled. Like I said the X-men written as complete fools and idiots by a writer to push a favored character is boring and done to death. At this point some of the senior members should expect someone to try and plot and trick them to steal Prof X assets imo. It would be unrealistic if everyone was fooled by a Mystique and/or Daken con job.

Does Mystique even have a concrete backstory anymore, assuming she ever did? Like, did they ever try to explain what she was like BEFORE her X-gene kicked in (even if it turned out to be nothing but her patented lying talents throwing interrogators off)? So far, the only thing that seems constant is that she had a thing with Destiny, and that was well after she went blue.
    She is Kamala Khan... The Magnificent Ms. Marvel!

Say when is Mystique ever going to meet Nocturne it would be fun seeing that she is a grandmother. Then again Nocturne was apart of the Brotherhood for a short while but Mystique never found out what she truly was. It would have been a nice opportunity to bond with her and see her as a sort of replacement for Rogue.

The preview for that Logan Legacy issue that spotlights on Mystique is up. It is great to see the return of our beloved Irene. Even though it pisses me off that her history with Logan is being overexaggerated as if he meant just as much as Destiny (Her one true love before Sabes and Forge.)

Quote Originally Posted by Myetche View Post
    Does Mystique even have a concrete backstory anymore, assuming she ever did? Like, did they ever try to explain what she was like BEFORE her X-gene kicked in (even if it turned out to be nothing but her patented lying talents throwing interrogators off)? So far, the only thing that seems constant is that she had a thing with Destiny, and that was well after she went blue.
    According to her biography:

"The woman who would one day be known as Mystique was born approximately 120 years ago (circa 1890) near Salzburg, Austria. [Mystique #15] Although little is clear about her childhood, her relationship with her father is known to have been less than pristine. According to Mystique's own account, the veracity of which must always be questioned given her propensity for deception, her blue skin and shape-changing abilities first manifested when she was 12 years old."

Quote Originally Posted by jazzflower92 View Post
    Say when is Mystique ever going to meet Nocturne it would be fun seeing that she is a grandmother. Then again Nocturne was apart of the Brotherhood for a short while but Mystique never found out what she truly was. It would have been a nice opportunity to bond with her and see her as a sort of replacement for Rogue.
    TBH I just want Talia to come back in general. It has been much too long. But I would love to see her and Mystique meet and form a connection to one another. They would make great partners in crime or heroes. I'm surprised they didn't meet in X-Men the End (An alternate reality series, but still.)

TBH I just want Talia to come back in general. It has been much too long. But I would love to see her and Mystique meet and form a connection to one another. They would make great partners in crime or heroes. I'm surprised they didn't meet in X-Men the End (An alternate reality series, but still.)
    I have a feeling she would spoil Nocturne because that is what grandmas are supposed to do. I think she would also become Mystique's new morality pet as well as they grow closer and closer to each other. Although I do want to bring up Nocturne would have mixed feelings because back in her home dimension there is a possibility of her grandmother killing her father.

Astonishing Member Enigmatic Undead's Avatar

"It is wrong to assume that art needs the spectator in order to be. The film runs on without any eyes. The spectator cannot exist without it. It ensures his existence." -- James Douglas Morrison

Nice art MA.

I'm both liking and disliking what they are doing with the character in Wolverines. What I like is less of the psycho clown and more of a motivation. Even if they have to exxagerate her backstory element that is tied to Wolverine. I dislike how one again even though she is plotting and scheming. It seems no one is noticing. I expect the Weapon X characters to be unfamiliar with her nature. The rest of the cast espcially Sabertooth being clueless to her manipulations. Is really not in character imo. As well they have her in Uncanny X-men once again "out for revenge!". For what this time. One of the X-men burnt her french Toast at brekfast or something. Is it possible for the writers to not bring up her anti-X-men obsession at least for half a year.

Somebody once asked why Mystique never used protection, saying that she had almost as many illegitimate kids as Magneto and it was getting silly. There is a simple answer to that; according to her own magazine, Raven was born in the 1880s , in Austria, in which case she was almost certainly raised a Catholic, and you know what their opinion of birth control is; as someone once said, you can take the girl out of the church, but you can never get the church out of the girl....

I think it has to do with her mutant abilites. I'm assuming that she can make her own self-contraception when having sex. Or something similar. Man we comic fans talk about the strangest topics lol.

Astonishing Member Enigmatic Undead's Avatar

"It is wrong to assume that art needs the spectator in order to be. The film runs on without any eyes. The spectator cannot exist without it. It ensures his existence." -- James Douglas Morrison