Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

I hope she's awesome in the new Uncanny, whenever that actually starts. Cullen Bunn did an AWESOME freakin' job with Magneto and I expect no less with UXM. SO looking forward to it...

We will see. When it comes to Mystique and character development I have been disappointed.
    Jean loves me this I know because the church says it so.

Havok and Emma were right.

How do you all feel about Mystique from the movies? Do you like the way Rebecca Romijn and Jennifer Lawrence portrayed her? With Mystique seemingly being given a more sympathetic and heroic role in the newer movies, do you think her comic counter-part will become more of an anti-hero instead of being an outright villain?
    We are the Dora Milaje. We are the daughters of the 18 tribes of Wakanda. We are the teeth of the Panther God. Out of 10,000 years of sweat and bloodshed and battle are we born. We are the women of this ancient land. Deadliest of the species. And our time has come!

Quote Originally Posted by nj06 View Post
    How do you all feel about Mystique from the movies? Do you like the way Rebecca Romijn and Jennifer Lawrence portrayed her? With Mystique seemingly being given a more sympathetic and heroic role in the newer movies, do you think her comic counter-part will become more of an anti-hero instead of being an outright villain?
    Loved Romijn, don't care for Lawrence at all. They've ruined Mystique in the movies and I hope they can do better with her in the comics.

Fantastic Member

Romijn was perfect. JLaw's version talks too much.

I like both yet find Romijn was not given enough lines. Ruined Mystique in the movies. Hardly imo. If anything they ruined her in the comics. No character development whatsoever. Beyond a 24/7 365 days a year anti-X-men obsession. With no personality except for being a psycho and a sociopath. I will take JLAW version over the cartoony, stale, boring, mustache twirling clown that been in the comics. At least the movies gave her more personality. Maybe Bunn will do something to change that. Having been disappointed with the character development in Wolverines only for them to throw it away in the final issue I'm very cautiously optimistic.

I actually prefer the movie versions. Both Jlaw and Romijn. It gave a change to the terrible way she has been portrayed in comics. Sorry but I'm not a fan of psycho, sociopath, with a constant year long day by day anti-X-men obsession. With the personality of a mustache twirling clown. No complexity except random plots upon random plots (KILL X-MEN) more random plots. Rinse and repeat. Wolverines looked like a step in the right direction then they threw away any character development in the final issue. Bunn has given me hope yet I'm still expecting Mystique to do more of the same.
    Last edited by sureshot; 03-26-2016 at 10:14 PM.

Astonishing Member AbnormallyNormal's Avatar

I think the Romijn version was far more comics-accurate for my liking although admittedly gave precious little characterization

J-law is just absurd basically mishmashing various characters from comics together (like Juggernaut?) to make an entirely new Mystique

In comics it looks as though Mystique is about to join the UXM team so yeah more anti-hero it would appear.
    Forget the old ways - Krakoa is god.

OBEY

Quote Originally Posted by AbnormallyNormal View Post
    In comics it looks as though Mystique is about to join the UXM team so yeah more anti-hero it would appear.
    Don't get your hopes up just yet about that imo. The Wolverines series they began doing a anti-hero with Mystique. Then threw it away in the final issue. For it to mean anything it needs to stay with the character. Not have the character act like a anti-hero then revert back to being a psycho, sociopath clown.

Astonishing Member AbnormallyNormal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sureshot View Post
    Don't get your hopes up just yet about that imo. The Wolverines series they began doing a anti-hero with Mystique. Then threw it away in the final issue. For it to mean anything it needs to stay with the character. Not have the character act like a anti-hero then revert back to being a psycho, sociopath clown.
    Yeah. i think for some reason writers seem to like doing that with Mystique, they somehow think it fits her mutant ability maybe? To always be "two faced" so to speak? She is kind of the mutant Joker in a way at this point. Plus I think wasn't there an explanation for it like she has trouble maintaining a stable personality/sanity because of her long life and all her adopted/faked personas over time, her mind can barely keep track of it all. So it "kind of" makes sense in the canon for her to always inevitably revert back and break off any real serious team commitment. But I mean during the Freedom Force leader era when she was first intro'd she was actually fairly sane seeming. You can also attribute her downward slide to Destiny dying...
    Forget the old ways - Krakoa is god.

OBEY

I think Romjin's Mystique had more mystique JLaw's character is a more well rounded character, but she doesn't feel like Mystique to me. But it's a different universe.

Quote Originally Posted by AbnormallyNormal View Post
    Yeah. i think for some reason writers seem to like doing that with Mystique, they somehow think it fits her mutant ability maybe? To always be "two faced" so to speak? She is kind of the mutant Joker in a way at this point. Plus I think wasn't there an explanation for it like she has trouble maintaining a stable personality/sanity because of her long life and all her adopted/faked personas over time, her mind can barely keep track of it all. So it "kind of" makes sense in the canon for her to always inevitably revert back and break off any real serious team commitment. But I mean during the Freedom Force leader era when she was first intro'd she was actually fairly sane seeming. You can also attribute her downward slide to Destiny dying...
    Their a point though even with her history of mental instablity that some what she learned as a anti-hero would remain with the character. After awhile the writers can't keep using insanity as a excuse for her constantly acting like a pyscho, sociopathic clown imo. Not to mention how many telepaths are on the X-men. No one and I mean no one or a bunch of them can't get together and fix her insanity. Her acting like a two faced clown because of mental instability has also become stale. At this point everytime it happens for some readers like myself it's "oh look Mystique lost again did not see that coming not at all". Made worse that no one expects it. whatever team she on she always seems to catch everyone by surprise. Which is BS at this point because everyone knows what to expect.

Not to mention how many telepaths are on the X-men. No one and I mean no one or a bunch of them can't get together and fix her insanity.
    I think that got lampshaded in her solo mini-series (probably the last time she was ever portrayed as a half-decent person) by saying that Mystique's powers prevent all psychics and telepaths from reading or altering her mind. Not even Xavier could, even if he wanted to.
    She is Kamala Khan... The Magnificent Ms. Marvel!

Quote Originally Posted by Myetche View Post
    I think that got lampshaded in her solo mini-series (probably the last time she was ever portrayed as a half-decent person) by saying that Mystique's powers prevent all psychics and telepaths from reading or altering her mind. Not even Xavier could, even if he wanted to.
    I had forgotten about that. Yet seems like a excuse from the writers to keep portraying Mystique poorly in comics imo. It's a comic universe so if the writers truly wanted they could have the telepaths cure Mystique insanity. Easier to portray her as usual even if it leads to poor or little character development.

I had forgotten about that. Yet seems like a excuse from the writers to keep portraying Mystique poorly in comics imo.
    At that time, Mystique still had some level of decency (given how she was semi-willing to be Xavier's hit-mutant) and so it was somewhat excusable. Not like today when she's doing things like playing Heisenberg by milking mutants for MGH and selling it on the streets.

It's a comic universe so if the writers truly wanted they could have the telepaths cure Mystique insanity. Easier to portray her as usual even if it leads to poor or little character development.
    It's the same reason why DC's own telepaths can't cure Joker, either: Marvel needs their most evil of evil villains to remain as such, because she sells.
    She is Kamala Khan... The Magnificent Ms. Marvel!

Mutatis Mutandis ChildOfTheAtom's Avatar
    1407 Graymalkin Lane, North Salem, NY 10560

J-Law "Loves X-Men & is dying to come back"

Make the solo FoX