Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Mighty Member

Default Interracial and inter-ethnic romance in entertainment

As a kid shows/movies like Nightcourt (which had a black man married to an asian woman), seeing Scarface on TV (latino man and white woman), Serpent and the Rainbow in theaters (black woman and white man), Brewster's Millions on HBO when i was 4 (white man and black woman who are engaged), Soul Man (white man and black woman), La Bamba in theaters when i was 6 (white girl and latino boy), Angel Heart on video (white man and black woman), seeing Harlem Nights in theaters when i was 7 (white man and black woman), seeing Tales from the Darkside the movie in theaters when i was 8 (Lover's Vow has a black woman and white man in love), Guess Who's Coming to Dinner in class when i was 12 where it has a black man and a white woman in love plus on MASH a Lebanese American married to an Asian woman, some issues of X-Men where Storm has an affair with a white man and Peter and Diane Maza from Gargoyles who are Eliza's parents one Native-American and one Black American as i was 13 when Gargoyles aired showed me nothing wrong with loving someone outside your ethnicity or different skin color.

They taught me growing up when i was a kid that there is nothing wrong with interracial love as love has no skin color/ethnic/different cultural background as it's not a bad thing and can be a nice thing. This year is the 50th anniversary to a classic comedy-drama known as Guess Who's Coming To Dinner that broke ground after interracial marriage was legalized 50 years ago.

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

I watched The Jeffersons when I was a kid, which had the first black/white interracial marriage on regular TV. Didn't seem that weird to me even then.

It was decades more before they'd show an interracial couple in a TV commercial, though.

I'm strongly against gobelin/ogre romance.

Quote Originally Posted by Starter Set View Post
    What about frog/pig romance?

Quote Originally Posted by Nate Grey View Post
    What about frog/pig romance?
    Sounds like french cuisine.

Mighty Member

Racist! there's nothing wrong with that.

BANNED

Was there going to be a question in there, or is the twist of the thread that it's actually about Guess Who's Coming To Dinner?

Quote Originally Posted by TomServofan View Post
    Racist! there's nothing wrong with that.
    Goblins may disagree with you on that.

Anyway, La Bamba!! Man, i forgot about that movie. It kinda was a big deal back then, that one song in particular (named la Bamba i guess, not sure) was HUGELY popular. (well, at least where i grew up it was)

Not sure if there really was more interracial couples depicted in media and fiction during that era though. (second part of the 80's and 90's)

Mighty Member

Goblins may disagree with you on that.

Anyway, La Bamba!! Man, i forgot about that movie. It kinda was a big deal back then, that one song in particular (named la Bamba i guess, not sure) was HUGELY popular. (well, at least where i grew up it was)

Not sure if there really was more interracial couples depicted in media and fiction during that era though. (second part of the 80's and 90's)
    I saw La Bamba in theaters when i was a kid and introduced me to the songs that my parents grew up on! and not to mention it had a romance of a white girl and a Latino boy in it which was just unique to show love has no skin color/ethnicity. Of course there were more interracial couples like on Tales from the Crypt episodes, Simpsons and other more stuff even Blade had a brief interracial relationship.

Invincible Member

What's funny is that in certain circumstances Hollywood prefers certain IR relationships over others or even over same minority/ethnic relationships.

Incredible Member

You don't see a lot of Asian/ME/SA men in IR relationships or Black/ME/SA women for whatever reason

Ming Na tends to get matched up with Black men a lot. One Night Stand, Agents of SHIELD, ER, etc. Not that anything's wrong with that obviously, but she seems to be typecast in that role.

Of course, the only reasons I would notice that are because 1. most Asian interracial couples on TV and film are with white men, and 2. Ming Na is bae.

Well, we have Barry/Iris going on. Interracial couple AND super hero related, how topical.

What bothers me is when they recast a historical story with a interracial couple without acknowledging what that meant. (and I don't mean Hamilton!) So if there is a 1920s mobster movie and they decide that a black actress should play a mob wife without dealing with how it would be looked at by people then, I have a hard time suspending disbelief.
    In modern day stories, it doesn't matter.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Fair enough. Or like in Shogun with the gaijin having a romance with some high born Japanese woman.