View Poll Results: How would you rate X-Men: Blue #18?

Voters
82. You may not vote on this poll
  • Great

14 17.07%
  • Good

45 54.88%
  • Meh

16 19.51%
  • Poor

5 6.10%
  • Horrible

2 2.44%
Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast

Default X-Men: Blue #18 Review & Spoilers

Spoilers
    Our O5 and Generation X fight but soon Jeen, Tyke, Emma, and Sean talk in private about this time period. This timeline's O5 killed Magneto then enslaved the world while Professor X telepathically called out to other mutants to fight against them. The X-Resistance failed, obviously. Synch and Chamber were rescued by Emma from a mutant training facility and now live with the rest of Generation X in ruins made to resemble the mansion by Danger Room holography. Our O5 plus Bloodstorm and Wolverjimmy are sucked back to what seems to be the final fight between Magneto and the evil O5.

Review
    >I really enjoyed this issue. Great writing from Bunn and some wonderful art by Silva et al.
    >The nostalgia factor was in overdrive in this issue. X-Men 2099 didn't have the emotional resonance with me that Generation X does, and I'd wager with some of its members still alive and appearing in current X-books, that resonance extends to a much wider readership than 2099 ever could.
    >Emma/Sean!!!!! <3 Damn you, Bunn! They were my 90s ship! Jeen wishing things could stay as they are while Emma and Sean embrace was beautiful. That's probably how Bunn feels about this time, too. I feel you, Bunn.
    >Jubilee and Bloodstorm's vampirism exchange. Oh, the lampshading and foreshadowing. And loudmouth Jubilee pointing out Bloodstorm's apparent affinity for Tyke was funny but I'd prefer more showing of their mutual attraction than telling. The scene on the roof at the start of this arc was nice but we need more than battlefield power displays while screaming each others' names to sell me on any connection.
    >I really wish we had more of an info dump from Emma. Just like in 2099, there was so much more we could have learned about how horrible the O5 were and what they did to screw up Earth. With us going back to the very beginning of their reign of terror next issue, I'm still missing some pieces. They're just generic evil at this point and I prefer specific evil. I'm going to surmise that the evil O5 forced mutants to train and become their troops in the war to take over Earth.
    >Trying to figure out how/why Wolverjimmy and Penance are flying while fighting. Same goes for Emma vs the evil O5.
    >Loved Jean's hound and Cyke's faux-Phoenix 5 costumes. Warren dual wielding flaming swords is certainly biblical. Bobby's baggy pants look was underwhelming. Gray evil Beast was nice.
    >I'm sad we didn't get more time with Generation X but at least I got to see *my* X-students again in their prime. Marvel Legacy done right!

Favourite Panels...
    x1.jpg
    x3.jpg
    x4.jpg

Can't wait for the next issue next year! :P
    Last edited by nx01a; 12-27-2017 at 01:20 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

Would you call this... a Penance stare?!
    penance stare.jpg
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

hate cant reach you here Harpsikord's Avatar

Sorry, Bloodstorm. You'll always feel a little left out when it comes to Jean and Scott.

I loved seeing Emma and Sean this week. I also missed Bunn's Monet.
    "We come into this world alone and we leave the same way. The time we spent in between - time spent alive, sharing, learning together... is all that makes life worth living." - Jean Grey

loved seeing monet call bloodstorm a 'little gargoyle'

-Warren flirting with Paige gave me nightmarish flashbacks.
    -O5 winning against Gen X was PIS to the max
    -Kinda salty that Hank didn't bring Ev and Angelo with him

Thank god Bunn gave us the EmmaSean we deserve.

Astonishing Member Soulsword323's Avatar

Enjoyed this issue much more than the last one. I don't really connect with the 2099 lineup, so it didn't really do as much for me as this issue did with Gen X. Great fight scene, where Bunn's Jean seemed reminiscent of BMBs. Knocking people out with her telepathy, and high kicking people in the face. For as much as people have complained about Bunn's handling of Emma, I felt like he did a good job with her here, and the moments between her and Jean were sweet. I thought the interactions between Bloodstorm, Jubilee, and M, were fun knowing what we know happens to the characters. The evil!O5 looked pretty cool, and seeing Jean with those TK energy skulls floating around her was a great look imo.

I'm guessing we'll be seeing the O5 facing off against themselves to save Magneto in the next issue. Looking forward to it!

I am honestly curious where this is going even though the story's likely to get overshadowed.

This has gone so downhill.

Quote Originally Posted by ţh€ €жţяą-๏яďɨɲąя¥ Tycon View Post
    -Warren flirting with Paige gave me nightmarish flashbacks.
    -O5 winning against Gen X was PIS to the max
    -Kinda salty that Hank didn't bring Ev and Angelo with him
    Thank god Bunn gave us the EmmaSean we deserve.
    I saw the flirting and got icked out, quickly moved on, and forgot blocked it out. I give Bunn credit for remembering the little touches like that but still... Ew.
    Chamber and Synch and M should have easily taken out Jeen. Points again to Bunn for remembering the early psionic bio-nuclear furnace that Chamber's chamber was supposed to be. I was hoping to see Jeen use her new power to drain Jono and use him as a battery to power her blasting the others into submission.
    If Bunn has any control over these things, I know he'll use the O5's time travel fun to correct mistakes like Synch and Skin's pointless deaths.
    Emma/Sean was honestly the highlight of this issue for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Soulsword323 View Post
    I'm guessing we'll be seeing the O5 facing off against themselves to save Magneto in the next issue. Looking forward to it!
    It's a Bunn X-book. Of course Magneto is the key.

BANNED

It's nice that Angel's character arc in Blue is basically to show how many living beings he'll hit on until the end of the run. So far, off the top of my head, we had:
    - The sheriff
    - Jimmy (see image)
    - Firestar
    - Husk
    And I'm probably forgetting someone else. BUT, this was a great issue overall! Nice to see Emma and Sean looking like a couple and the fact that Tyke is wary of any Emma he sees is interesting. One of the best part of the dialogues was Jean saying she wished Emma could stay kind like that. That really hit me. Bloodstorm's crush on Tyke is still cute and I'd like to see that developed a little bit more before he vanishes. Also, LOL at the "YOU'RE DOING THE PSYCHIC WHISPER THING AREN'T YOU". Poor Jimmy. Hank's butthurt needs to go, by the way.
    Speaking of aesthetic stuff, those evil adult O5 look RAD. I have a mighty need of a Cyclops with that suit if he ever comes back. Bunn really keeps delivering and I love him for it.

wolverines.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Endsong View Post
    Sorry, Bloodstorm. You'll always feel a little left out when it comes to Jean and Scott.

I loved seeing Emma and Sean this week. I also missed Bunn's Monet.
    I think that everyone is being left out of Jean and Scott little world. I also think the love triangle might be a bigger issue forwards.

I digging this time travel arc, now the plot thickens

i'm not surprised that jean and beast try to enslave all of humanity in the bad timeline.

remember xorna and dark beast?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by PrezValentine View Post
    It's nice that Angel's character arc in Blue is basically to show how many living beings he'll hit on until the end of the run. So far, off the top of my head, we had:
    - The sheriff
    - Jimmy (see image)
    - Firestar
    - Husk
    And I'm probably forgetting someone else. BUT, this was a great issue overall! Nice to see Emma and Sean looking like a couple and the fact that Tyke is wary of any Emma he sees is interesting. One of the best part of the dialogues was Jean saying she wished Emma could stay kind like that. That really hit me. Bloodstorm's crush on Tyke is still cute and I'd like to see that developed a little bit more before he vanishes. Also, LOL at the "YOU'RE DOING THE PSYCHIC WHISPER THING AREN'T YOU". Poor Jimmy. Hank's butthurt needs to go, by the way.
    Speaking of aesthetic stuff, those evil adult O5 look RAD. I have a mighty need of a Cyclops with that suit if he ever comes back. Bunn really keeps delivering and I love him for it.

wolverines.jpg
    With no one calling him out on the fact he has a girlfriend, I'm taking this as more confirmation that he and Laura split up.

Loved tyke bloodstorm moments, comments
    why tyke and emma did not communicate?
    Sean Emma just feels wrong, like one of those of things that are just not supposed to happen, no matter what, you know.
    Rant
    Jean really is the worst character in Marvel, isn't she?
    Scemma forever Triangle never.
    Scott needs an alpha female like Bettsy.
    What woman wouldn't be attracted to Scott? He's 100% alpha male who tells the Avengers to go f*#& themselves.
    I want cyclops back free from any ginger women to be his own man.
    Logically..
    TeenClops should have lusted for Emma & Cuckoos. Especially Stepford Cuckoos! They're teenage triplet clones of his hottest ex, how could he not be?
    End of rant

hate cant reach you here Harpsikord's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by oldscottsummers View Post
    Loved tyke bloodstorm moments, comments
    why tyke and emma did not communicate?
    Sean Emma just feels wrong, like one of those of things that are just not supposed to happen, no matter what, you know.
    1. Ew.
    2. Because Emma makes Tyke uncomfortable.
    3. Sean/Emma was one of THE 90's power couples, even if it was never official. Unlike when she's with Scott, they make each other better.
    "We come into this world alone and we leave the same way. The time we spent in between - time spent alive, sharing, learning together... is all that makes life worth living." - Jean Grey