Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member Old Man Ollie 1962's Avatar

Default Kneeling During the National Anthem

Bob Costas has the right idea IMO.

“I would have the P.A. guy say, ‘Please stand for our national anthem and in recognition of the ideals it represents,'” explained Costas. “That would then encompass conservatives, liberals and everyone in between. I think that would make it more palatable.”

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/...054411901.html

Quote Originally Posted by Old School Ollie 1962 View Post
    Bob Costas has the right idea IMO.

“I would have the P.A. guy say, ‘Please stand for our national anthem and in recognition of the ideals it represents,'” explained Costas. “That would then encompass conservatives, liberals and everyone in between. I think that would make it more palatable.”

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/...054411901.html
    I think it should be something like "and in recognition of the ideal it represents to you", it sounds more personal in my opinion just adding the "you".

Or maybe white guys should stop telling black men how they should feel about issues that only affect black men.

Or maybe white guys should stop threatening the employment of black men for having an opinion and expressing it through the means provided to them.
    (Which, it's worth noting, is exactly what all these white guys are doing at the moment.)

I dunno... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Except those ideals are not being upheld by the people in a position of power and authority. They aren't being upheld by people meant to protect us. People are told to "shut up", "know your place", etc.
    DC: Aquaman, Batman, Harley Quinn, Wonder Woman

Marvel: Ms. Marvel, Punisher, Daredevil

Image: Outcast, Bitch Planet, The Autumnlands, Black Magick, The Goddamned

Indies: Black, Insexts, Animosity, Alters, Mighty Morphin Power Rangers, Red Sonja

Extraordinary Member

Just go back to not having the players on the field for it. There I solved the problem.

And another white guy misses the point and doesn't want nasty social issues interfering with his sports.

Ask Michael Bennet about those ideals.

I also hate this argument that the National Anthem is only about honoring servicemen, it's not and never was. It's about our rights and the constitution.

And while I respect and honor the job our servicemen have done, we haven't had a war in 70 years that preserved my freedom. We have had misbegoteen crusades that took too many lives.
    Last edited by Kirby101; 09-23-2017 at 01:39 PM.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    And another white guy misses the point and doesn't want nasty social issues interfering with his sports.

Ask Michael Bennet about those ideals.
    They used to not be out there. Until 2009, players were still in the locker room for that (except the Super Bowl). The only reason they are out there out there is because the league wanted to appear more patriotic because they get paid millions by the DoD and National Guard to promote patriotism as part of their brand. So now it's a conflict of interests for the league because to some people the players aren't appearing patriotic like they were intended to.

So now the whole reason they are out there is undermined, so why not just let them stay in the lockeroom, like they did for years without anyone giving a damn.

BANNED

I'm for the First Amendment.

Quote Originally Posted by KNIGHT OF THE LAKE View Post
    They used to not be out there. Until 2009, players were still in the locker room for that (except the Super Bowl). The only reason they are out there out there is because the league wanted to appear more patriotic because they get paid millions by the DoD and National Guard to promote patriotism as part of their brand. So now it's a conflict of interests for the league because to some people the players aren't appearing patriotic like they were intended to.

So now the whole reason they are out there is undermined, so why not just let them stay in the lockeroom, like they did for years without anyone giving a damn.

Good point. But I think the League could not do that now. It would reek of cowardness.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    Or maybe white guys should stop telling black men how they should feel about issues that only affect black men.

Or maybe white guys should stop threatening the employment of black men for having an opinion and expressing it through the means provided to them.
    (Which, it's worth noting, is exactly what all these white guys are doing at the moment.)

I dunno... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Bingo! You hit the nail squarely on the head with everything you wrote.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    I know, I keep waiting to hear the word "uppity".

Quote Originally Posted by Question View Post
    I'm for the First Amendment.
    where is the Government getting involved?
    I think restorative nostalgia is the number one issue with comic book fans.
    A fine distinction between two types of Nostalgia:

Reflective Nostalgia allows us to savor our memories but accepts that they are in the past
    Restorative Nostalgia pushes back against the here and now, keeping us stuck trying to relive our glory days.

So, nobody actually watched the clip.

^^No. Nobody watched two white guys talk about how they'd solve an issue that doesn't have anything to do with them, specifically because they are white men.

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Thanks, man!

Quote Originally Posted by LordMikel View Post
    where is the Government getting involved?
    Well, the President said they should be fired. Then implied that because he's friends with owners, that it'll happen. Does it get more government involved than that?

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    ^^No. Nobody watched two white guys talk about how they'd solve an issue that doesn't have anything to do with them, specifically because they are white men.
    This entire thread after the first post is arguing about something that didn't actually happen in the clip.

Mostly, it's about CTE. (But nobody actually seems to care too much about that.)

The rest is about Trump's remarks and discussing why the kneeling isn't more widespread among the players.