All-New Member

Question How to Pax Americana?

I recently picked up the Multiversity Hardback because such a good series needs a place on my shelf. I am loving reading the series again but, I find myself stuck on Pax Americana. This is my first time giving it a read since it's release and I really do love it and appreciate it for the art it is but it still hasn't "clicked" for me. Does anyone have any suggestions of how many times and in what ways it should be read? This really can be an apparition thread for Pax, I just want the hear people's views.

Spectacular Member

The thing with pax is you have to continue to read pax to really get it. Best thing to do is just reread until you get it.

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Strip Panel Naked had a really strong video analysis of it. I would recommend that for a start.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

pygophile and podophile Dr. Cheesesteak's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    Strip Panel Naked had a really strong video analysis of it. I would recommend that for a start.
    I'll actually link it... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MKIkSBpTixA

Anyway, OP, Pax Americana is easily #2 favorite comic/story of all time. Only behind Daytripper. Truly amazing in its storytelling and meta story. I loved it after the first read, but reading articles/forums or watching videos on it really does help bring a greater appreciation for and understanding of it.
    Comics were definitely happier, breezier and more confident in their own strengths before Hollywood and the Internet turned the business of writing superhero stories into the production of low budget storyboards or, worse, into conformist, fruitless attempts to impress or entertain a small group of people who appear to hate comics and their creators. -- Grant Morrison, 2008

trade-waiting - Ice Cream Man, Monstress

backlog - Blade of the Immortal, Mignolaverse, Promethea, X-Cutioner's Song

Well, since the Wikipedia entry on Pax Americana has Morrison describing it as "his Citizen Kane and "if Alan Moore and Dave Gibbons had pitched the Watchmen now, rooted in a contemporary political landscape", the question(s) might be if you've seen the movie Citizen Kane and if you've read the original Watchmen series (from back in 1986-87) by Moore & Gibbons?

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Well, since the Wikipedia entry on Pax Americana has Morrison describing it as "his Citizen Kane and "if Alan Moore and Dave Gibbons had pitched the Watchmen now, rooted in a contemporary political landscape", the question(s) might be if you've seen the movie Citizen Kane and if you've read the original Watchmen series (from back in 1986-87) by Moore & Gibbons?
    That is what sold me on Pax Americana in the first place.
    Pull List: Currently Empty

I read it a couple times before hitting up various annotations online. Reading it after that really made me appreciate all the attentions to detail - especially the panel compositions and sly nods to Watchmen.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dispenser Of Truth View Post
    There's a universe where everything is Luchadores.

I WANT TO GO TO THE UNIVERSE WHERE EVERYTHING IS LUCHADORES.

Mighty Member

The gimmick for "Pax Americana" is complex breakdowns. The individual pages "force" you (the reader) to move your head and eyes out of normal sequence (which brings the mind-control aspect of "Multiversity" off the page and too the reader).

In one issue, Morrison riffs on (and exceeds Moore), demonstrates his and Quietely's technical skills, comments on the state of comics (or art) and adds to "Multiversity" as a series (or compilation, depending on how you bought it). The only real problem with "Pax Americana" is that it requires readers to understand and care about the technical side of comics.
    Current pull-file: Batman the Detective, Batman: Legends of the Dark Knight, Marvel Dark Ages, Nightwing, Superman Son of Kal-El, Transformers, Transformers: King Grimlock, Warhammer 40,000 Sisters of Battle
    -----------------------------
    - http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/

All-New Member

Cheers everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by CentralPower View Post
    The gimmick for "Pax Americana" is complex breakdowns. The individual pages "force" you (the reader) to move your head and eyes out of normal sequence (which brings the mind-control aspect of "Multiversity" off the page and too the reader).

In one issue, Morrison riffs on (and exceeds Moore), demonstrates his and Quietely's technical skills, comments on the state of comics (or art) and adds to "Multiversity" as a series (or compilation, depending on how you bought it). The only real problem with "Pax Americana" is that it requires readers to understand and care about the technical side of comics.
    Yes, that one of the main ponts of Pax americana and also the critic to how Watchmen wa understood. Watchmen was not only about dark depressed grim vigilantes, ut it was a work about how the comic have a wide array of narrative possibilities, with all the repeated panels, the multiple symbols and iconogrphy. That is why Morison played with the 8 panel pages, thecircle figures, the repeated appearance of the eight number, and so.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-Ul View Post
    Yes, that one of the main ponts of Pax americana and also the critic to how Watchmen wa understood. Watchmen was not only about dark depressed grim vigilantes, ut it was a work about how the comic have a wide array of narrative possibilities, with all the repeated panels, the multiple symbols and iconogrphy. That is why Morison played with the 8 panel pages, thecircle figures, the repeated appearance of the eight number, and so.
    Nice way of putting it.
    Pull List: Currently Empty

Mighty Member

DC actually released an annotated edition of "Pax Americana". Not sure what the print run was. But, I do not recall it being especially rare. I would recommend picking that up.

(Sorry, I just remembered the annotated edition today.)
    Current pull-file: Batman the Detective, Batman: Legends of the Dark Knight, Marvel Dark Ages, Nightwing, Superman Son of Kal-El, Transformers, Transformers: King Grimlock, Warhammer 40,000 Sisters of Battle
    -----------------------------
    - http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/