Mighty Member

Default Blade Runner 35th anniversary

Can you believe it's been 35 years since the Sci-fi thriller masterpiece from Ridley Scott has hit the screen? it's me fave movie ever!

I saw this 26 years ago when i was 10 on video and blew my mind as i thought it was amazing and unique even with a emotional speech on "tears in the rain" plus i thought Sean Young with Daryl Hanna and Joanna Cassidy were fine looking in it and Harrison Ford was fantastic. The music score outstanded me and became my fave score ever! i even taped the theatrical cut on VHS that year on a second VCR my family had as i had my own and saw the re-issue Director's cut in theaters when i was 11 and taped the Director's cut on second video from rental tape on a blank tape, i even bought various versions of the soundtrack on CD, the Marvel comic adaptation, books, computer game when i was 16, shirts and poster. Plus in 2000 when i got my DVD player it was my first DVD purchase with Matrix then in 2008 when i bought my blu-ray player it was my first blu-ray purchase and the movie had an impact on me

It definitely was quite an experience to watch it for the first time. (i must have been something around 8-10 i think, rented vhs)

Very unique movie.

I liked the original release but saw the problems. Especially the voice over and the silly ending that was tacked on. (The helicopter shot was a left over from Kubrick's The Shinning)
    The studio did not understand the movie and unnecessarily fiddled with it.
    The subsequent Director's and Final cuts show what a brilliant film Scott made.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    I liked the original release but saw the problems. Especially the voice over and the silly ending that was tacked on. (The helicopter shot was a left over from Kubrick's The Shinning)
    The studio did not understand the movie and unnecessarily fiddled with it.
    The subsequent Director's and Final cuts show what a brilliant film Scott made.
    To me, that voice over nearly everyone trashes is exactly what sold it to me as a noir film with science fiction dressing. And making Deckard into a replicant diminishes the ending to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    To me, that voice over nearly everyone trashes is exactly what sold it to me as a noir film with science fiction dressing. And making Deckard into a replicant diminishes the ending to me.
    The voice over changes Dekkard's character. It was put in by the studio against Scott's wishes. Yes it is a noir trope. But it makes it a different, weaker film.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    The voice over changes Dekkard's character. It was put in by the studio against Scott's wishes. Yes it is a noir trope. But it makes it a different, weaker film.
    Final cut is better