View Poll Results: Did jean just give up when she learned of Emma's feellings for scott & didnt gen

Voters
10. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

3 30.00%
  • no, she tried hard

6 60.00%
  • other option

1 10.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Some questions that i have been wondering about Jean's behavior

She wasnt really upset or jealous about scott/emma. After the fight Jean was acting like nothing happen.
    Jean wasnt mad at Scott, she only (beat) blamed Emma.
    when Jean showed up and saw and even said (paraphrasing), "How can you do this to Scott, he just shook of the evil of Apocalypse and he's confused the way it is".
    Later Jean herself said to Logan that she had to let Scott go because love told her too.(??)
    She tells Scott, as she is dying, that the Phoenix understands, and for him to live. Meaning that she was telling him to move on. Go and be with that Frost woman who you want so badly.

Here my questions:

Did Scott deserve to get his a## beat by Jean? (not only Emma)
    why didnt Jean confront Scott?
    After Scot ran away. Why jean didnt even try to find him?

EDIT. Poll question did not fit

Did jean just give up when she learned of Emma's feellings for scott & didnt genuinely fight to keep him?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by oldscottsummers; 09-24-2017 at 12:06 PM.
    Rant
    Jean really is the worst character in Marvel, isn't she?
    Scemma forever Triangle never.
    Scott needs an alpha female like Bettsy.
    What woman wouldn't be attracted to Scott? He's 100% alpha male who tells the Avengers to go f*#& themselves.
    I want cyclops back free from any ginger women to be his own man.
    Logically..
    TeenClops should have lusted for Emma & Cuckoos. Especially Stepford Cuckoos! They're teenage triplet clones of his hottest ex, how could he not be?
    End of rant

The whole story was basically Cyclops being whiny about being possessed by an entity and Jean (his partner) not possibly understanding what that is like...

Jean is trying to hold everything together (mutant hate at an all time high, mutant relations, new & old enemies etc) while not realizing that the Phoenix is beginning to manifest again, and her powers are growing considerably while feeling completely in control, whereas Beast/Prof X don't seem to think so but also don't want to poke the bear with a stick.

Emma did take advantage of the situation, but Emma was also given a ton of backstory and character development that she did not previously had. We learnt that being a teacher to young mutants was her real passion, and that even though she disliked Jean, she didn't go after Scott because she was being evil or something but rather she trully felt she could help him and fell for him.

Morrison gets a lot of hate for his portrayal of Jean, but imo it was one of the best because he allowed her to be an actual human being that isn't perfect and always right. She reacted the way she did as any person would given the situation, go after the person who you think you blame vs the "real culprits" (both of them). She went all out on Emma and she realized that she wasn't as in control as she thought she was.

Fire and life incarnate! phoenixzero23's Avatar

i always felt that emma tried to be with scott just to mess with jean, the plan backfired and sadly she fell in love for real. i still think she took advantage of scott problem
    i think jean tried but she was busy with many other stuff also i didn't like scott being so whiny but i get that he was possesed.

There were many factors.

Jean did try at the very start of the run to connect with Scott who was struggling after being possesed by Apocalypse, but he just wouldn't open up to her. Their psychic rapport no longer connected them, so Jean didn't know what was going through his head. Rather than talk, Scott tried to get Jean to go into his mind to see for herself, but she wouldn't do it saying he needed to get speak for himself if he wanted to get better.

The trouble was, Scott was struggling with his self-image after hosting Apocalypse. Jean of all people knows what it's like to be a host to something way bigger than you, but Scott couldn't relate to her because "she makes it look easy."

After that, their X duties meant they spent most of the run apart with only occasional brief psychic check-ins. Scott went to Emma for her outside perspective, and Jean's expanding Phoenix conscious meant her more human troubles were sliding further away from her. After Jean found out about Emma it was easier for her to rage on her because Scott just hadn't been engaging (and she and Emma had never gotten along anyways).

After the blow up between Xorneto's Manhattan takeover and her going full Phoenix there was literally no time for Jean to deal with Scott, and she had accepted that it was over anyways. She didn't feel GOOD about it, but that's a different issue.

I consider the fact that she takes it all on Emma it's a bit of a character flaw, but if you look at real life, it's probably how a lot of women react, so if anything it's realistic. It makes even more sense considering that Emma and her already had a bit of a beef back from the DPS days. About her "not trying hard", I think she just decided to focus on other things and distract herself from that, as it was easier to deal and Scott was already being distant since the beginning of the run.

BANNED

The reason Morrison's run gets praised is because he wrote the characters as real people rather than superheroes. What Jean says and what she actually believes are the same thing, and in this case neither really accurately reflects the reality of the situation. At this point I doubt that Jean really loves Scott anymore, but she still feels possessive of him and is in some ways wishing that the old life they had together would come back. However, she is beginning to realize that the fairy tale she had imagined had really just been a lie all along, and that Scott was far from the idealized heroic paragon she imagined him too be and has been a rather troubled and insecure individual this whole time. So you have all these emotions and impulses floating around and then you throw in her history with Emma as well as all of the other problems like the actual villains they are supposedly fighting, and it obviously becomes a situation where nobody comes out looking good.

I see it as Scott and Jean's relationship being pulled apart by powerful forces: Apocalypse and the Phoenix aided by Emma to an extent and finished off by Xorneto. They were together and happy and adjusted for decades until Scott got emotionally shattered by his Apocalypse possession and Jean seemed not to care anymore as her connection with the Phoenix deepened once again. Part of me is still angry that Jean didn't just read Scott's mind and find out precisely how damaged he was... but none of that matters since Scott would probably have lost Jean when she went full Phoenix anyhow had Emma not interfered or Xorneto not killed her. Jean was getting very (heh) inhuman and detached towards the end if I remember correctly, so Scott was incapable of expressing himself while Jean's expanding consciousness made her focus on 'greater' things. (When I reread the Morrison run, I stop at the end of Murder At The Mansion. The stuff after that is simply too ridiculous for me to bother rereading.)
    Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

Quote Originally Posted by nx01a View Post
    ...Jean was getting very (heh) inhuman and detached towards the end if I remember correctly, so Scott was incapable of expressing himself while Jean's expanding consciousness made her focus on 'greater' things...
    I think that was supposed to be the implication. When Jean blew up at Emma, Emma proclaimed Jean couldn't comprehend normal human feelings anymore. It was later when Jean became the White Phoenix (i.e. the Phoenix at its most balanced) that she understood that her ultimate work was to push Scott while letting him go.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Someone help me, I'm so lost and confused. Scott was with Jean, then Phoenix Entity masquerading as Jean, then with Maddy clone of Jean and had a child, then he was Psylocke-lusting for bit there, then the real Jean finally, then Emma????

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    Someone help me, I'm so lost and confused. Scott was with Jean, then Phoenix Entity masquerading as Jean, then with Maddy clone of Jean and had a child, then he was Psylocke-lusting for bit there, then the real Jean finally, then Emma????
    Colleen Wing and Lee Forrester had brief flings with him before Maddy, but pretty much.

Incredible Member Victorian_Soul's Avatar

She got mad at Emma because she new that Scott who was emotionally damaged at the time was because taken advantage of by his therapist. Emma was doing the whole thing as a way to hurt Jean and even taunted her when they got caught expecting her to fall down and cry like a little girl because her husband cheated, which as Emma found out isn't what happened.

I mean Emma is his therapist who's suppose to help an emotionally broken man and instead she manipulates him for her own personal pleasure which isn't only disgusting hut highly illegal and could cause you to lose your license in real life. Even though Scott was cheating he wasn't in the right state of mind to think through it clearly but Emma was.

Fantastic Member

there is a moment where Emma says that Jean can not help Scott (fix their relationship) because she is no longer human, and in Endsong at the end Jean tells Scott the same thing, she could not feel it, Jean was already Phoenix.

Spectacular Member

It was such a cop out that Morrison killed her off, she is godlike yet died from a syringe :| the f. I wanted to see what was going to happen after the dust cleared. Would Scott fix things with Jean ? Was Jean Grey going to accept the marriage cant work ?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Outlaw22 View Post
    It was such a cop out that Morrison killed her off, she is godlike yet died from a syringe :| the f. I wanted to see what was going to happen after the dust cleared. Would Scott fix things with Jean ? Was Jean Grey going to accept the marriage cant work ?
    Well, they had to elevate Emma status somehow...

Quote Originally Posted by Outlaw22 View Post
    Personally I think he killed her because, in all the others stories, when Jean and Scott had a problem in their relationship, they had always find a way to resolve it and be together again.

Even in Scott head it was Jean in the first place. You just have to see how he was talking about her to Emma when he talked about his problems to Emma.

And the way he was after all those year without Jean, when he saw the young Jean he was totally loosing his **** and during his relation he and Emma was aware was still here in his heart.

And after there is the what if when Jean Grey got ressurect instead of Colossus and without any surprise Scott just go to Jean Grey without thinking about Emma.

I know I shouldn't use a What if in my reflexion but it's how I would see Scott if Jean hadn't died.

But since the character, Scott and Jean was a bit OOC (especially Scott in my opinion), the way about he talk about his relationship with Jean all over the years etc was OOC like if Morrison never read the X-Men about Jean and Scott, i mean him saying that was just thought. Dude he dated Jean for almost all his life, in DPS he knew even if that wasn't really Jean, that the thought was what was important. And the thing about never evolved since they were child was billshit since in the end of the O5 team they were adult, the whole Giant size issue, the DPS and everything after, they were adult and they relationship evolved through all those years.

And for Jean well she was to occupied her duties outside Scott, the Jean I knew before the start of New X-Men would have resolved the issue with Scott before everything else.

And yes all the whole thing was for Emma to take the place of Jean in the first place (that changed after but it was the case at the beginning). They could have done it without make Emma and Scott being together. Just make hee becoming a hero without make her destroy a relationship, in the end it has destroyed Scott, Jean and the Emma who was becoming a X-Men/a super hero. You don't became a super hero with that kind of thing.

I mean when you have to kill the wife of someone and even with that it's not enough for Scott and Emma to be a thing you have to ask questions about why Scott and Emma in the first place and why destroy the relationship between Scott and Jean which took years.

But for me Jean tried hard for the time she had, if they didn't killed her that would probably finish by Scott and Jean resolved their problem and go to each other again like they always have did. It's how I see it. In the whole process of changing the future she did it for Scott in the first place so of course they still loved each other and it's probably always the case but it's up to Marvel to destroying more and to resolve it with the return of Jean and a possible return of Scott in a future (I want to Jean to deal with it alone that's probably why I want to not see Scott or Logan coming back soon)

We'll see in the near futur what Jean think about everything. I maybe forgot things but I think I have lade my point about the question of the topic.