Spectacular Member

Default Why I like Jonah Hex Comics

Why I like Jonah Hex comics is the fact he is strong Anti Hero, in time of America during the Gilded Age when Americans were not cut and dry protrayed in Western movies.

Jonah Hex came out of the Revision Western, that's how I see it mostly likely Outlaw Jesse Wales.

It has inspired to create my own disfigured Western Bounty Hunter, Rudolf Eisen (Death Walker) as the Natives call him

He is a Prussian American who's Father Ironworks got into Armaments at the start of the American Civil War, Rudolf Eisen fought for the Union during attack of a CSA Battery in a Calvary charge the battery expoloded and Rudolf ended when a head like the Red Skull. Rudolf got promoted for that action, but at very high cost there were no plastic surgeons back then. At the War's end there was nothing for Rudolf to go back too, He became a Bounty Killer

Rudolf Eisen is armed with a Pair of Colt Dragoons, a Pair of Lemat Revolvers, a Dreyse Needle Gun and his Sabre to cut of the Heads. He also still wear his Union Uniform and Union Kepi cap.

This would make for good comic, if I can find a publisher and affordable Artist.

LW

Astonishing Member Old Man Ollie 1962's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lwhitehead View Post
    Why I like Jonah Hex comics is the fact he is strong Anti Hero, in time of America during the Gilded Age when Americans were not cut and dry protrayed in Western movies.

Jonah Hex came out of the Revision Western, that's how I see it mostly likely Outlaw Jesse Wales.

It has inspired to create my own disfigured Western Bounty Hunter, Rudolf Eisen (Death Walker) as the Natives call him

He is a Prussian American who's Father Ironworks got into Armaments at the start of the American Civil War, Rudolf Eisen fought for the Union during attack of a CSA Battery in a Calvary charge the battery expoloded and Rudolf ended when a head like the Red Skull. Rudolf got promoted for that action, but at very high cost there were no plastic surgeons back then. At the War's end there was nothing for Rudolf to go back too, He became a Bounty Killer

Rudolf Eisen is armed with a Pair of Colt Dragoons, a Pair of Lemat Revolvers, a Dreyse Needle Gun and his Sabre to cut of the Heads. He also still wear his Union Uniform and Union Kepi cap.

This would make for good comic, if I can find a publisher and affordable Artist.

LW
    Oh, yeah, Jonah Hex is my all time favorite western comic. I have the entire Justin Gray and Jimmy Palmiotti run. Here's a character that needs a Netflix/Amazon/Hulu or Starz series. But that dreadful Josh Brolin film probably ruined any chance of that happening. Although Marvel managed to salvage the Punisher for a decent series after two lackluster big screen adaptions. Good luck with your project.

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

Yup.
    The Gray/Palmiotti run was simply damn perfect!
    Great writing, great art and pitch perfect characterisation.
    Anyone who hasn't read it, or read the earlier Hex comics and were turned off, PLEASE give it a go.
    You will be pleasantly surprised!
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

BANNED

Odd that considering my enjoyment of Westerns, I've never realy gotten into Jonah Hex. Should add some of the runs being recommended here to my list.

Currently, most of my affection for Jonah Hex comes from the time he got into a drinking contest with Booster Gold.

BANNED

One of my favorite characters ever; Johnathon Schaech did a great job portraying him in DC's Legends of Tomorrow:

Spectacular Member

I have all of the Jonah Hex comics and waiting for a new series to come out, Yes that Hex movie stank.

Is it me or J Arkham character considered comic funniness, in All Star Western V3 no one seem take him seriously,

The Eisen family is based on Krupps of Germany, Jonah and Rudoff have Criminal Fathers Jonah is small time crook while Rudoff is a White Collar he is a Factory Lord Heinrich Eisen is known as Ironheart due to his ruthless as an Industralist.

LW

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

The setting of the JH always intriguing. Adifferent time where justice is black and white. Scumsucking scumsuckers just get what they've got coming. In my head Jonah and Frank Castle frequent the same bars and get along pretty well. LOL

Find your artist and fingers crossed

Incredible Member steeplejack2112's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Old School Ollie 1962 View Post
    Oh, yeah, Jonah Hex is my all time favorite western comic. I have the entire Justin Gray and Jimmy Palmiotti run. Here's a character that needs a Netflix/Amazon/Hulu or Starz series. But that dreadful Josh Brolin film probably ruined any chance of that happening. Although Marvel managed to salvage the Punisher for a decent series after two lackluster big screen adaptions. Good luck with your project.
    I do too, and it was one of the most amazing runs of a comic book that I have ever read. I was pissed when it was cancelled.

Quote Originally Posted by steeplejack2112 View Post
    I do too, and it was one of the most amazing runs of a comic book that I have ever read. I was pissed when it was cancelled.
    It was a great series, but I felt it came to a well thought out and (bizarrely, given the character) heart warming conclusion. For me, it’s part of what made it a far better series than typical DC/ Marvel Groundhog Day stories.

Thought the Showcase stories were also good...the artwork was top notch, easily strong enough to look wonderful even in black and white.

BANNED

I have never read it but he did intrigue when [insert gasp insert] he shot batman in return of Bruce Wayne. I didn't think it was possible but then bruce got knocked out by ordinary crooks in a noirish later issue and I forgot all about it.

Astonishing Member Global Honored's Avatar

Big Hex fan here. Love the Darwyn Cooke issues sooooo much!

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Global Honored View Post
    Big Hex fan here. Love the Darwyn Cooke issues sooooo much!
    Those especially 10char

Empty is thy hand!

I like that he's a cold man who denies his own humanity in a cold world. He has a virtuous core that shines through, but he refuses to acknowledge it. His wearing of the rebel uniform reminds me of The Confessor from Astro City: a vampire wearing a cross that burns his skin.

Quote Originally Posted by married guy View Post
    Yup.
    The Gray/Palmiotti run was simply damn perfect!
    Great writing, great art and pitch perfect characterisation.
    Anyone who hasn't read it, or read the earlier Hex comics and were turned off, PLEASE give it a go.
    You will be pleasantly surprised!
    This.

Their run on Jonah Hex is easily one of the best things that saw print in the past decade. An AMAZING series (and same with All-Star Western, which was the continuation). Loved it. Not sure it could ever be topped. Just really, really good.

For me the anti-hero works best in the wild west era because it's well... it was wild. A lot of times I find it hard to root for modern anti-heroes but guys like Jonah Hex or Clint Eastwood in some of his films are just great.