Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Default Most Underrated Comic Book Movies

For me, it's Lucasfilm's Howard the Duck. They didn't quite nail Howard's personality, but it was exciting, genuinely funny, and innovative.

The Phantom. Havent seen it since i was a kid but loved it then. Probaly dont hold up but i dont wanna know.

Batman forever. It gets lumped in with Batman and Robin but is way better. I loved Kilmer as Batman. It coulda been so much better but nowhere near as bad as Batman and Robin

I think the original Thor movie was actually pretty solid as far as MCU solo's go and a pretty good Thor movie. Especially compared to The Dark World.

I also don't get the hate for The Incredible Hulk.

Ultimately, it all depends on how you want to look at it.

Is Ghost World a "Comic Book" movie?

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I think the original Thor movie was actually pretty solid as far as MCU solo's go and a pretty good Thor movie. Especially compared to The Dark World.

I also don't get the hate for The Incredible Hulk.
    Incredible Hulk doesnt get that much hate the Ang Lee one does. Incredible Hulk just didnt do well

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    Batman forever. It gets lumped in with Batman and Robin but is way better. I loved Kilmer as Batman. It coulda been so much better but nowhere near as bad as Batman and Robin
    I agree with this one. While I think 89 and Returns are better films (though I'm hard pressed to say that about Returns), I think I find Forever to be more rewatchable. Kilmer is good as are the two villains in their own way, though they fall into the trap of trying to out camp the other.

I think V For Vendetta kind of gets underrated in Comic Book circles because of how many liberties that the Wachowskis took with the source material and how V (and Guy Fawkes by extension) has been questionably adopted by annoying internet slacktivists as a heroic icon. But it's a very good stand alone film in its own right by great performances by Natalie Portman and Hugo Weaving. The support cast is also great. And even with all the changes, I think it's a great update of the material.

Quote Originally Posted by C_Miller View Post
    I agree with this one. While I think 89 and Returns are better films (though I'm hard pressed to say that about Returns), I think I find Forever to be more rewatchable. Kilmer is good as are the two villains in their own way, though they fall into the trap of trying to out camp the other.

I think V For Vendetta kind of gets underrated in Comic Book circles because of how many liberties that the Wachowskis took with the source material and how V (and Guy Fawkes by extension) has been questionably adopted by annoying internet slacktivists as a heroic icon. But it's a very good stand alone film in its own right by great performances by Natalie Portman and Hugo Weaving. The support cast is also great. And even with all the changes, I think it's a great update of the material.
    I love V for Vendetta and am so happy they swapped actors. Hugos voice is perfect to me. V talks alot and thats almost all he does outside a few action scenes. But when he talking im engaged and want more

Retired

Can Phantom, Green Hornet, Shadow or Lone Ranger movies be considered comic book movies? Yes they appeared in comic books, but they didn't begin as comic books. If these can be considered comic book movies, then a lot of other movies should be lumped in--like Star Wars, Star Trek, Tarzan, Conan among many others, since they all had long running comic book series but didn't start as comic books.

i really enjoyed constantine(keanu reeves) and league of extraordinary gentlemen. i had never read the comics though, i've read some constantine comics since then but still enjoy the movie.

Iron Man 3. Loathed by many but I thought it showed better than any other movie that Tony Stark is a superhero with or without the armor.
    Green Lantern. It wasn't good, but it wasn't nearly as bad as some people try to make it sound. It was just a generic 90s superhero movie that had the bad luck to be made in the 2010s instead.

Swamp Thing.

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

I would say the original Heavy Metal. It was a flawed movie, but in this case the flawed movie is more fun than a perfect movie would have been.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    Ultimately, it all depends on how you want to look at it.

Is Ghost World a "Comic Book" movie?
    Well, it is based on a comic book. So yeah, it's a comic book movie. Why wouldn't it be?

BANNED

I don't know, maybe Ichi the Killer. Hard to say exactly. Most of the stuff coming up I wouldn't call underrated at all. Lot of ok movies that were big on release that people just kind of stopped thinking of as time went by...which is a thing that happens to hundreds of movies every year. Of what's been listed in the thread so far The Green Hornet and that Disney Lone Ranger are probably the only underrated films that have come up. The Green Hornet is a pretty good action comedy, it's got one of the cooler chase scenes to be in a movie, and Michel Gondr is doing some cool stuff in there that seems even more far out the more and more of these Marvel and DC movies we get.

The Lone Range on the other hand is probably one of the better action movies of the last five years. That that movie got as much **** as it did was fucking stupid.

Maybe you could call Ghost World underrated as it's a great movie that's seemingly fallen by the wayside, at least when it comes to the general public. But it's also still recognized as being a great film. Then again you take that angle and you could call many classic films underrated.

Fantastic Member

Blade... first one only. Probably one of the few Snipes moves I actually like. First glimmer of hope that you could actually do a superhero movie.