Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Anduinel View Post
    Ditto. I've paid full cover price for comics just because characters I like have made background appearances. It really just depends on what's being offered.

That said, the Big Two aren't usually offering me things that earn the stupid money option.
    I'm a complete fan whore. Especially if its featuring any of my beloved bebbehz.
    I'll buy individuals each month as they accumulate, then collect them in trade, and then buy a compendium if that comes out -- if I love it enough.

I'm complete nerd trash.

Quote Originally Posted by Fairyprincess View Post
    2.99 for 24 pages......
    I hate pennies.

Astonishing Member

Depends on...

The higher the price the pickier i get. Simple as that.

I feel well in my comfort zone when the price is 2,99 $ , but i dont mind a good book for 3,99 $. Everything above that gets me thinking if i should buy it or read it for free.

Quote Originally Posted by Sighphi View Post
    I hate pennies.
    Pennies ceased to circulate in Canada since 2012-2013. That's way better now! However, we don't have $1 or $2 in paper anymore.

Astonishing Member

3.99 at a push for a normal issue

I'll buy more from a publisher at 2.99 and will spend more in total at a publisher at this price point than at 3.99

Some varients a little more but not often

Any runs that have price hiked issues I drop and will likely stop buying from the publisher out of annoyance for a couple months at least, certainly on that book

But 3.99 is my norm

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by allforgeeks View Post
    Feel free to merge/delete/shout at me if this has already been posted but the new black & white variant of Marvel Legacy has got me thinking - what is the absolute most you would spend on a new comic? I'm not talking a mint condition Detective Comics #27 here but a modern day title, either standard cover or more likely a variant cover.

Midtown currently have this for sale at $425, Things From Another World at 400 down from 500. I'm all for comic dealers earning a living and who knows how many standard covers they will have to buy to get hold of one of these variants so this is not about pointing any fingers at them, it's a simple question. For the right new comic, not for an investment but simply to hold it in your hands and say it's yours, how many of your hard earned dollars/pounds/yen/flanian pobble beads would you be willing to spend?[/CENTER]
    It's hard to really do that because it depends on what book you are looking at.

I will do $3.99 for a lot of non DC & marvel books. Because with the big two many of those titles hit bins way faster and in more complete runs (looking at YOU Batman). And in my case I got used books stores and a comic book store that has sales that make it easier to not buy every book (at least of the big two). Miles Morales, Mosaic, Nighthawk and Starbrand are the only Marvel books I have paid $3.99 for every issue. Avengers, All New Inhumans, Supergirl, Prowler, Power Man & Ironfist, Gwen, All Star Batman. Cyborg, Shade The Changeling Girl, Black Panther and Slapstick varied from cover to 25 cents per issue. Moon Girl & Jughead has been trade only.

I would not pay $425 for that because SOMEONE will have it cheaper.

I went to one con and they had $2 variant cover issues of various companies.

I got 20 for $20. I looked up the value of all-$200 with Convergence Cyborg cover at $70 and some Sanford Green covers at $24.

If the prices got above $4-I would be VERY SELECTIVE in that 1 or 2 titles and I would only pay that to support my store. Because they have been TOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO nice to me and others. 5 times they have had 25 cent book sales & 4 month long 40% off sales. I can at least pay full price for some stuff and try new books.

I wouldn't ever consider stumping up extra for any variant. I'd go $5.99 as a one off if I thought the issue deserved it, other than that my limit is $3.99.

None. I hate single issue format. Trade paperbacks are the only way to go. I do get Spider-Man RYV in singles, but that's more for support of the series than anything else and I'd be getting them regardless, although more than five bucks and I'd start to question how worth it it was.

Mighty Member

Compilations would get more expensive in proportion to single issues (likely by ~25% or so). Compilations may be cheaper than singles. But, the price bump would catch up to them.

As it stands now, Marvel is making sure that compilations are typically 5 or 6 issues. (When the run being collected does not consist of enough to make a compilation, Marvel includes a somewhat relevant older issue of something. This was common with various "Secret Wars" tie-ins.)

Creative teams don't matter in this.
    The decision to buy a comic at all, regardless of price, is often influenced by creative teams. The place I buy comics has a 4 foot section's worth of cheap compilations, most of them discounted by at least 60%. But, even a 90% discount rate is not going to convince me to buy something by a poor writer/artist team.

Just walking in to the shop means that I am open to spending money on comics. At that point, I want value for that money. I could go to the dollar bin, spend $10, and get at least 10 comics. (I think that the store has a discount rate for bin crap.) Or, I could walk out with 2 or 3 comics by current creative teams.

A price bump would generally mean people would buy fewer comics, and be more selective about what they buy. And, a key selection factor is the creative team.
    Current pull-file: Batman the Detective, Batman: Legends of the Dark Knight, Marvel Dark Ages, Nightwing, Superman Son of Kal-El, Transformers, Transformers: King Grimlock, Warhammer 40,000 Sisters of Battle
    -----------------------------
    - http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/

Niffleheim

I would never pay for variants. I stopped buying floppies because i found going to a comic book store was such a chore - thank god for digital.

Quote Originally Posted by etrumble View Post
    Agreed. Once comics went to $2.99, I started subscribing (with a 40% discount on a $3.99 floppy, I'm spending $2.40 a feeling I'm getting a little of a deal). I get most of my floppies by subscription or the discount bin now. Collected editions are usually discounted 40-50% from mail order, leaving a good margin.

I've never spent more than cover on a variant.

If that is the B&W Alex Ross cover, there are B&W sketches, original art, on the Alex Ross web site you can buy for $500. I'll take original art over inflated prints anytime.
    Yeah, I think that is the key right there. Were I ever to find myself in a position of being able to drop a cool 400 hundred on a single comic I'm not sure that I would, particularly if I get snag an original piece of work for less. My original point was not so much about whether the new item was a standard #1 or a ultra rare variant, but simply a new comic with no way of knowing if you'll be sitting on a collectors item in ten years time or sometihng to line the cat tray with. Is there more risk inherent with buying a new title as opposed to say the first appearance of a Deadpool or something, which you know which pretty much always hold it's value.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Morsoth View Post
    Pennies ceased to circulate in Canada since 2012-2013. That's way better now! However, we don't have $1 or $2 in paper anymore.
    We also have to pay way more for comics because of the exchange rate! Seriously, I'm at my limit now for cost. It's getting ridiculous. The prices now make me a lot less likely to try something new, and if I do, it had better grab me right off the bat or I just drop it.

I consider myself more a reader than a collector so I don't pay for beyond cover price.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by pageturner View Post
    I consider myself more a reader than a collector so I don't pay for beyond cover price.
    The question is more "how high a cover price will you accept for a regular comic?"

Quote Originally Posted by Fokken View Post
    It all depends on the content.
    I'd pay stupid money for the right author/artist/content combo.

STUPID money.
    Same. If I were promised a long run,

I would pay 6 or 7 dollars per issue of

Morrison/Quitely Fantastic Four or Green Lantern

Snyder/Capullo Wolverine (Logan)

Gaiman/JHW3 Thor (I would pay 10 dollars per issue for this with JHW3 COVERS)

Azz/Rizzo Batman or Moon Knight or Punisher