Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default What's the most you would pay for a new comic?

Feel free to merge/delete/shout at me if this has already been posted but the new black & white variant of Marvel Legacy has got me thinking - what is the absolute most you would spend on a new comic? I'm not talking a mint condition Detective Comics #27 here but a modern day title, either standard cover or more likely a variant cover.
    JUL170995_500.jpg

Midtown currently have this for sale at $425, Things From Another World at 400 down from 500. I'm all for comic dealers earning a living and who knows how many standard covers they will have to buy to get hold of one of these variants so this is not about pointing any fingers at them, it's a simple question. For the right new comic, not for an investment but simply to hold it in your hands and say it's yours, how many of your hard earned dollars/pounds/yen/flanian pobble beads would you be willing to spend?

I felt ashamed at myself the two times I paid $4.99 for a comics.
    And I'm less and less willing to spend $3.99 for a single issue.

It would really depend on the title.

I would never spend $9.99 on a 90 page Deadpool book, but $9.99 for a 90 page Moon Knight book would have me consider it.

For regular issues though, $3.99 is the most I would go. $4.99 for a #1 if I'm really down with the title though.
    Currently Reading: DC: Shazam /// MARVEL: Daredevil, Invaders, Winter Soldier /// IMAGE: Seven to Eternity /// TITAN: Bloodborne

Upcoming Reading:

Trade Waiting: IMAGE: East of West, Black Road, The Black Monday Murders /// DARK HORSE: Hellboy, Witcher

Astonishing Member

For a standard 32 or 34 pages?
    For that is 3.99,if it is a special issue or a issue with more pages with 100 pages or so i donīt mind paying more up to 8 or 9.
    If it is a variant cover of a comic book i think is cool i just buy them at cover price unless is a really cool cover of one of my favorites comic book artist then i would buy but nor for much more that the price cover.

It all depends on the content.
    I'd pay stupid money for the right author/artist/content combo.

STUPID money.

Incredible Member

2.99 for 24 pages......

Quote Originally Posted by Fairyprincess View Post
    2.99 for 24 pages......
    I dropped out at that point.

Nowadays, 99% of what I buy is in comixology digital sales, and effectively I'm looking for stuff by favourite writers that I can pick up for equivalent of 2 dollars or less per 20-ish pages.

BANNED

Personally, I rely on the generosity of strangers to buy my comics for me every week.

Quote Originally Posted by allforgeeks View Post
    Feel free to merge/delete/shout at me if this has already been posted but the new black & white variant of Marvel Legacy has got me thinking - what is the absolute most you would spend on a new comic?
    You really have to specify if you're talking standard issue available at practically any comic book store versus limited edition versions, as well as what the published quantities are. I don't know how many copies of that b&w variant copy will be available, but to some people that will make the big difference.
    (Not me, though. I'm not planning to buy this period unless I pick it up in a $1.00 bin several months from now.)

Quote Originally Posted by Fokken View Post
    It all depends on the content.
    I'd pay stupid money for the right author/artist/content combo.

STUPID money.
    Ditto. I've paid full cover price for comics just because characters I like have made background appearances. It really just depends on what's being offered.

That said, the Big Two aren't usually offering me things that earn the stupid money option.

Mighty Member

The amount of money I spend on comics would stay constant (generally $30-odd a month). But, if the comics get more expensive, I would buy fewer comics and get pickier about what I bought.

I will pay $5-$8 for a one-shot. But, if I were paying that for single issues of an ongoing series, it would have be to more than filler.

And, yes, creative teams matter. A-list talent commands more money.
    Current pull-file: Batman the Detective, Batman: Legends of the Dark Knight, Marvel Dark Ages, Nightwing, Superman Son of Kal-El, Transformers, Transformers: King Grimlock, Warhammer 40,000 Sisters of Battle
    -----------------------------
    - http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/

BANNED

Three bucks for a simple, ordinairy 22 page comic book. And even that's seriously overpriced.

Creative teams don't matter in this.

Quote Originally Posted by Fairyprincess View Post
    2.99 for 24 pages......
    Me too. I'll pay more for more story but nothing ridiculous.

Agreed. Once comics went to $2.99, I started subscribing (with a 40% discount on a $3.99 floppy, I'm spending $2.40 a feeling I'm getting a little of a deal). I get most of my floppies by subscription or the discount bin now. Collected editions are usually discounted 40-50% from mail order, leaving a good margin.

I've never spent more than cover on a variant.

If that is the B&W Alex Ross cover, there are B&W sketches, original art, on the Alex Ross web site you can buy for $500. I'll take original art over inflated prints anytime.

3.99 really pushes my limits. If they ever went to 4.99 I'd either only read 1 or 2 books or drop the hobby altogether.