Default Generations: The Americas #1 Review & SPOILERS [A must read]

Two weeks ago Secret Empire: Omega was released, as an epilogue for Secret Empire. That issue served as a conclusion of a ~2-year storyline, which started with that "HAIL HYDRA" scene, and concluded with HYDRA takeover, and eventual fallout.
    Leaving aside the amount of controversy the whole story/event generated, (overall, I liked it), there was still one more thing that needed closure: Samīs Story, as Captain America.

You may have loved Secret Empire, or hated it. You may like Spencerīs work, or loathe it as if it were the plague. Or, you may have been indiferent over the whole thing.
    But this time, it doesnt matter. This issue is something else.
    This is the real epilogue of both Spencerīs Captain America books storyline. And the beggining of new stories to come.

spoilers:

This issue beggins with Sam Wilson being questioned by some federal agents, over his (and the rest of super-heroes) dissappearance at Washington, during the events of Hydraīs downfall.
    Then, we see Samīs story in the Vanishing point, which was very different from the rest.
    Sam landed in NY, at the beggining of WW2, and decides to take part of it, after feeling he couldnt stand just there and do nothing for his country, and people in such a bad time.
    Later, we see Samīs training at the Military Camp, and eventually, his involvment in the Battles.

After the battle, we see Sam meeting with Steve, who just assumed the identity of Captain America. Steve is nervous, as he doesnt know if he could stand the pressure of being the hero, the symbol people expect him to be in this war.
    Sam knew about how he felt, and proceeds to say the exact words Steve needed to hear, in order to believe in himself. To become the man who inspired him.

Next, we get to see how Samīs life develop after that point. The war ended, America won, Steve dissappeared, and Sam got to start a family of his own.
    Some of Samīs best qualities are highlighted, by showing him fighting for peopleīs equal rights, supporting homeless people, and much more. Seeing Sam still being so Kind and selfless, even after all he went through, made me smile.

Years passed in this new life of his, until Steve returned. Sam only wanted to see him one more time, but, they got to meet each other again.
    I will not say what else happened after that, you must see it for yourselves. You really must.
    end of spoilers

This sumarry of mine, does no justice to this book quality. It was extremely heartwarming, and made me tear a little bit. Samīs and Steveīs interactions with each other were gold, and Sam got the ending he deserved, after all he went through. This is the real epilogue to Spencerīs whole storyline, and I appreciate what he did here.
    This was.. perfect.
    Last edited by TheMaker1610; 09-27-2017 at 07:13 PM.

BANNED

Thumbs up Generations The Americas Journeys End Spoilers

A fitting end to this mini series which really surprised me as it felt like I was reading a biographical feature article readers digest used to feature rather than a comic as it contained right amount of realism and mystery men mixed together for nick to conclude his runs on both the titles wrapping some of the loose ends which he does fittingly giving both the characters the chance to shine and inspire and be truly the best with the spectre of hydra not once raising its head expect at the very end.
    The issue begins with Sam being interrogated by the authorities about what transpired when he and some heroes vanished. He then recalls the incredible journey he went through when he vanished as he alone of all the others lives a full lifetime in the VP and his journey begins with participating in the war after undergoing training and adopting the identity of a man who fly's meeting Steeve and encouraging him and being encouraged by his example, becoming a pastor and participating in the civil rights movement, seeing the captain return and meeting with him again in times of need and interacting with him at different crucial points of time while watching his younger self go through all the experiences he has already undergone. He feels a satisfaction at a life fully lived to the hilt doing his best which Steve points out has been his source of inspiration when they meet again.
    At the conclusion the agents comment on shields bust up and try to ascertain kobiks whereabouts but Sam says he doesn't remember and even if he did he wouldn't reveal it to them and all the heroes who went on the journey meet up and eat together while Thor senses the change that has come into him. Sam declares that it wasn't time travel and wonders as to why kobik sent them on the journey. They conclude that the purpose was for them to meet their predecessors so they could see how successful they were at filling their roles and to help them make the decision to carve out their own legacies. the issue ends with Sam passing on the shield to Steve showing his firm belief in him that he will rekindle everyones trust and regain it.
    Last edited by theoneandonly; 09-27-2017 at 07:22 PM.

I did not read all of these bt this was the best of the ones I did.

It is easy to forget Cap came out of the ice with 4 plus years experience. Seeing Sam as the rock was a good moment.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by TheMaker1610 View Post
    Two weeks ago Secret Empire: Omega was released, as an epilogue for Secret Empire. That issue served as a conclusion of a ~2-year storyline, which started with that "HAIL HYDRA" scene, and concluded with HYDRA takeover, and eventual fallout.
    Leaving aside the amount of controversy the whole story/event generated, (overall, I liked it), there was still one more thing that needed closure: Samīs Story, as Captain America.

You may have loved Secret Empire, or hated it. You may like Spencerīs work, or loathe it as if it were the plague. Or, you may have been indiferent over the whole thing.
    But this time, it doesnt matter. This issue is something else.
    This is the real epilogue of both Spencerīs Captain America books storyline. And the beggining of new stories to come.

spoilers:

This issue beggins with Sam Wilson being questioned by some federal agents, over his (and the rest of super-heroes) dissappearance at Washington, during the events of Hydraīs downfall.
    Then, we see Samīs story in the Vanishing point, which was very different from the rest.
    Sam landed in NY, at the beggining of WW2, and decides to take part of it, after feeling he couldnt stand just there and do nothing for his country, and people in such a bad time.
    Later, we see Samīs training at the Military Camp, and eventually, his involvment in the Battles.

After the battle, we see Sam meeting with Steve, who just assumed the identity of Captain America. Steve is nervous, as he doesnt know if he could stand the pressure of being the hero, the symbol people expect him to be in this war.
    Sam knew about how he felt, and proceeds to say the exact words Steve needed to hear, in order to believe in himself. To become the man who inspired him.

Next, we get to see how Samīs life develop after that point. The war ended, America won, Steve dissappeared, and Sam got to start a family of his own.
    Some of Samīs best qualities are highlighted, by showing him fighting for peopleīs equal rights, supporting homeless people, and much more. Seeing Sam still being so Kind and selfless, even after all he went through, made me smile.

Years passed in this new life of his, until Steve returned. Sam only wanted to see him one more time, but, they got to meet each other again.
    I will not say what else happened after that, you must see it for yourselves. You really must.
    end of spoilers

This sumarry of mine, does no justice to this book quality. It was extremely heartwarming, and made me tear a little bit. Samīs and Steveīs interactions with each other were gold, and Sam got the ending he deserved, after all he went through. This is the real epilogue to Spencerīs whole storyline, and I appreciate what he did here.
    This was.. perfect.
    So true.....for I've read the issue myself and I must say that the writer really understood both Sam Wilson and Steve Rogers and their experiences that they each lived through within this GENERATIONS Issue.

Quote Originally Posted by pageturner View Post
    I did not read all of these bt this was the best of the ones I did.

It is easy to forget Cap came out of the ice with 4 plus years experience. Seeing Sam as the rock was a good moment.
    I kind of hate that Sam's whole other life was erased at the end.

For one, that means he wasn't actually there to be Steve's rock as presented, when that would have been a permanent retcon I could really get behind (and he might well have been able to be a sounding board for Blue Marvel as well). So, it's great additional background for Sam, and hopefully he displays the wisdom in his own title that one would derive from a whole extra lifetime, well lived... but it doesn't really impact Steve and his history.

Secondly, and more important, that means that his children and grandchildren get erased from existence at the end... seems like that would be a terrible punishment more than a gift, unless Kobik at some point assured Sam that they and that version of history continue to exist somewhere, whether out in the multiverse or within Kobik herself.

But then, I'm one to think that Alex Summers and Janet Van Dyne should be doing everything they can to get access to time travel technology and find out when in time Kang stashed their daughter, as opposed to ignoring their memories of the Planet X timeline.

It felt like an attempt to try and make the changeover from Steve back to Sam seem less problematic, but I think they managed to accomplish it in a way that gave Sam some dignity. My entire problem with his tenure as Cap is that he basically accomplished nothing and even HYDRA Cap had to be beaten by Steve at the end, but the way they did this here at least made it feel less like he was just admitting defeat in giving up the shield.

Quote Originally Posted by vitruvian View Post
    So, it's great additional background for Sam, and hopefully he displays the wisdom in his own title that one would derive from a whole extra lifetime, well lived... but it doesn't really impact Steve and his history.
    Weren't the Generations stories marketed as mainly being stories that benefit the Legacy and current mantle holder rather than the original? If so, then this story succeeded in that regard.
    Last edited by Xalfrea; 09-28-2017 at 10:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Xalfrea View Post
    Weren't the Generations stories marketed as mainly being stories that benefit the Legacy and current mantle holder rather than the original? If so, then this story succeeded in that regard.
    True, except that a significant part of Sam's experience was helping a young Steve learn how to be a hero... and now that that timeline has vanished, he's living in a world with a version of Steve that he didn't actually help in that way, so it might potentially seem kind of pointless, in two ways - not only did Sam's actions in Vanishing Point not actually help the current real Steve, but since the current Steve seems basically the same as ever (apart from trauma over Hydra Cap, natch), it kind of calls into question how necessary or essential or even helpful Sam's interactions really were. Had they left Sam's other life in the regular MU timeline, then it would be a neat secret history of how the real Cap was helped to become the man he is by his future partner.

I also wonder how much benefit it really is to have to mourn children or grandchildren who didn't just die, but were wiped from existence after an omnipotent being was done using them to teach you life lessons...

I have to say, with this last issue of Generations I thought that it had a very positive uplifting message, and not just about the meaning of Captain America. That's the good news. The bad news is there are few things which, unfortunately, kind of bog it down. Which is too bad because this it has the ingredients of a potential classic. They just don't quite come together as they should.

Stillanerd Reviews: Generations: Sam Wilson Captain America and Steve Rogers Captain America) #1 review
    --Mike McNulty, a.k.a. Stillanerd. Contributor for Bam Smack Pow! and Viral Hare
    Previous Articles for Whatever A Spider Can.
    Previous Articles for Spider-Man Crawlspace.

Don't ever take a fence down until you know the reason why it was put up.--G.K. Chesterton

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by TheMaker1610 View Post
    This was.. perfect.
    Yes, I agree. It was perfect. A true gem, one of the finest single issues I've ever read.

This was a beautiful, deeply felt end to Spencer's Cap run. And such a key chapter to Sam's saga. Spencer has shown such care in dealing with Sam, I just hope that the creative team on Falcon will continue to treat him as well.

When you read an issue this good and then you see that some jack hole at Newsarama gave it a 3/10, all you can say is "Well, some people are just freaking idiots."

Amazing Member

loved this issue definitely the best generations issue and tied it all up at the end. tempted me into looking at getting falcon when it comes out as well as really looking forward to cap legacy

Definitely a masterpiece.
    "̶l̶̶e̶̶t̶'̶s̶̶ ̶̶h̶̶a̶̶v̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶s̶̶o̶̶m̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶f̶̶u̶̶n̶̶,̶̶ ̶̶t̶̶h̶̶i̶̶s̶̶ ̶̶b̶̶e̶̶a̶̶t̶̶ ̶̶i̶̶s̶̶ ̶̶s̶̶i̶̶c̶̶k̶̶.̶̶ ̶̶i̶̶ ̶̶w̶̶a̶̶n̶̶n̶̶a̶̶ ̶̶t̶̶a̶̶k̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶a̶̶ ̶̶r̶̶i̶̶d̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶o̶̶n̶̶ ̶̶y̶̶o̶̶u̶̶r̶̶ ̶̶d̶̶i̶̶s̶̶c̶̶o̶̶s̶̶t̶̶i̶̶c̶̶k̶̶"
    "Let's have some fun, this riff is sick. I wanna mosh around in the Circle Pit!"

Matt's Stuff [Blog]: Star Wars Visions: Ranked
    Matt Eduardson [YT]: Palpatine's Return - Dark Empire VS The Rise of Skywalker

My Twitter