BANNED

Default Question about "X-Men: The Hidden Years"

I bought this title last week because it is said that this series explores the adventures of the original X-men during the ‘gap’ of reprinted books between UX-men #67 thru #93 -- Thus, I was wondering if anyone here ever took the time to read (inject) "Hidden years" in conjunction with "UX-Men" as it is said that unlike "First Class", "The Hidden Years" is supposedly firmly set in continuity.

Thanks

I did and I enjoyed The Hidden Years. The continuity aspect is anothet one. In my opinion it does not fit in 100% since their age is mentioned.

Incredible Member steeplejack2112's Avatar

I have the series, but I haven't had time to read it yet. I also bought First Class but haven't read that yet either. Is it as good as it looks?

First Class is superior and more interesting

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mistress of Dictionaries View Post
    I did and I enjoyed The Hidden Years. The continuity aspect is anothet one. In my opinion it does not fit in 100% since their age is mentioned.
    Really? I would have thought that the actual "on-panel" mention of the O5's age in a rarely executed and seamless "Backstory insertion" (I.e., not a retcon) would have finally ended that pointless argument over how old the O5 are in Marvel years... But, hey what do I know? I'm just another X-Storian still trying to perfect his X-Collection
    Last edited by ZNOP; 09-25-2017 at 01:30 PM.

Read it a long time ago I still have the actual physical copies somewhere.

I read Hidden Years right after the last Uncanny issue before the gap. It flows really well.

BANNED

It's a pity it ended before it crossed the gap between UXM 66 and UXM 94. Although I heard a lot of people say it wasn't as good as it really was, mainly because the X-Men are split up into different groups most of the time and usually at least one of them is stuck in the Savage Land.

Hidden Years was the last time I enjoyed an X-Book.
    I thought it fit right in with the actual last issue.
    First Class? From what I remember of it I didn't care for it.

Every character was a lot more irritable in hit. Lots of short tempers

Quote Originally Posted by JeanGreyForever View Post
    It's a pity it ended before it crossed the gap between UXM 66 and UXM 94. Although I heard a lot of people say it wasn't as good as it really was, mainly because the X-Men are split up into different groups most of the time and usually at least one of them is stuck in the Savage Land.
    This.

The art was great. A few stories I really enjoyed. I think it had untapped potential.

It could have possibly bridged the gap of XM66-UXM if it would have continued instead of the abrupt ending.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    This.

The art was great. A few stories I really enjoyed. I think it had untapped potential.

It could have possibly bridged the gap of XM66-UXM if it would have continued instead of the abrupt ending.
    Yeah, I got to issue #22 last night and was like... That's it?!?

Quote Originally Posted by ZNOP View Post
    Yeah, I got to issue #22 last night and was like... That's it?!?
    Exactly. I remember having that feeling!

I wanted to see the team showing their slightly increasing powers, especially being written at the later time where they could have shown new usages of the powers. I really wanted to see Jean expanding her powers.

Also, showing Beast's growing desire to leave the X-Men and pursue research or whatever other reasons/feelings he was experiencing.

And it would have been nice to see the Havok/Polaris/Iceman triangle. When exactly did Havok get so cozy with Polaris? When and how did Bobby get squeezed out?

Yeah, a good opportunity got wasted.

Quote Originally Posted by ZNOP View Post
    Really? I would have thought that the actual "on-panel" mention of the O5's age in a rarely executed and seamless "Backstory insertion" (I.e., not a retcon) would have finally ended that pointless argument over how old the O5 are in Marvel years... But, hey what do I know? I'm just another X-Storian still trying to perfect his X-Collection
    In the last issue they celebrate Beast's 20th birthday. For me it doesn't make sense of you consider that Havok has graduated from university. Unless he is a child prodigy, he must be older than Beast if he just turned 20.