Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Fantastic Member

Default What Should I Be Reading In DC Right Now.

Mostly an X-Men guy but I am looking to expand because they are honestly disappointing me at the moment. What are the best current DC Titles right now? Why? I want to start branching out. Saw some Red Hood and the Outsiders and read everyone UNTIL they changed the roster to the anti-Trinity, Read the new Metal stuff (it's ok I guess) picked through a few others but have no idea where to begin. What do people suggest?

Astonishing Member

The best books are

The GL titles both Green Lanterns and Hal Jordan and the Green Lantern Corps. Though the first arc and Doctor Polaris arc were a bit tiresome (more the Doctor Polaris arc).

New Super-Man. Absolutely one of the most fun books DC has, particularly as it's building up its own corner of the DCU.

DC Comics Bombshells/Bombshells United (aka part 2 of the series): A great book and EXTREMELY fun overall. Basically a What if/Elseworlds universe.

YMMV
    Justice League of America: A huge continuity love fest of DC from over the years. But it can be very hit or miss because of that, as many times it's not even clear to a fairly long time reader what's being referenced (been reading regularly sicne 2005).

New Super-Man is totally my favourite! I totally love the characters!

Deathstroke

BANNED

The BEST Book: New Super-Man. I've been re-reading all the issues, and I think it might actually be one of my all time favorite comics. Incredibly fun, incredibly interesting with the ideas it presents, the stories are expertly told, and the Justice League of China are some of DC's best heroes. Nothing else in Rebirth touches this IMO.

Other books that I still really enjoy: Aquaman, Green Lanterns (Its getting a new writer who I don't expect much from though so I'd recommend checking out the first 31 issues in trade form), Detective Comics, Red Hood and the Outlaws and Green Arrow.

I've been enjoying:

The Titans (although I might be changing my mind about that)
    The Teen Titans
    Super-Sons
    Detective
    Action
    Superman
    Green Arrow
    Aquaman
    Metal (and all it's associated books)
    and I'm really loving Cave Carson (and most of the other Young Animal books... but really Cave Carson's been so much fun).

Did my best job to put my recent favorites in order of my liking of them.

DC Rebirth
    1. Batman by Tom King
    2. Mister Miracle by Tom King
    3. Deathstroke by Priest (current arc is so-so but everything before it has been terrific)
    4. Wonder Woman by Rucka
    5. Metal, etc. by Snyder
    6. Action Comics (largely for its part in Rebirth)
    7. [TIE] Superman (started out VERY strong, is weaker now)
    7. [TIE] Detective Comics (see above)
    9. Green Lanterns by Humphries
    10. Red Hood and the Outlaws
    11-13. [TIE] Aquaman, Green Arrow, Hal Jordan and GLC
    14. All-Star Batman (latest arc is a little bit of a letdown after much better stories preceded it)
    15. Titans (finally gaining traction)
    16. Teen Titans
    17. Super Sons

Young Animal
    1. Doom Patrol
    2. BUG: Forager
    3. Shade the Changing Girl

Also, the limited series, Six-Pack and Dogwelder was fantastic.

Those are the books I really look forward to each month though I buy others as well, either to keep up with favorite characters or in the vain hope they'll get better. Justice League is just about guaranteed to get a LOT better as writing duties pass from Hitch (oof) to Priest (yay!) in a few months.

Hal Jordan and The Green Lantern Corps. This book is fun, action packed, and the art work is gorgeous. Plus it has a great cast of characters.

Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

You will get many answers but here arethe ones I'm enjoying.
    Super-Sons
    Aquaman
    New Super-Man
    Green Lanterns
    Teen Titans (kinda meh but I enjoy it)
    Red Hood and the Outlaws
    Batman
    Superman (simmered down a bit)
    Hal Jordan and the Green Lantern Corps

I would recommend:

Aquaman
    The Flash
    Red Hood and the Outlaws
    Action Comics
    “Somewhere, in our darkest night, we made up the story of a man who will never let us down.”

- Grant Morrison on Superman

Quote Originally Posted by InvincibleDom View Post
    Mostly an X-Men guy but I am looking to expand because they are honestly disappointing me at the moment. What are the best current DC Titles right now? Why? I want to start branching out. Saw some Red Hood and the Outsiders and read everyone UNTIL they changed the roster to the anti-Trinity, Read the new Metal stuff (it's ok I guess) picked through a few others but have no idea where to begin. What do people suggest?
    As you can see lots of titles have been named. They are all great reads but none is above the other. It all depends on what you like.
    Metal is ok, but not the best there is.
    Honnestly forget anything by Scott Snyder.

Try out "Doom Patrol". This is really branching out. "New Superman" and "Super Sons" are interresting if you're looking for something different.
    Then on your preferences (Space, Detective, Underwater, Myth, Youngsters, teams, outlaws, ...) Pick up any of the recommended titles.

Hard to tell what you'd like, but going by your X-Men fandom.....

Teen Titans. I actually didn't start with this book until issue 6 (Aqualad's debut) but it's fairly solid and will probably feel familiar to you. Bunch of super kids trying to find their way, you know?

Aquaman. The book is big on politics, but the fantasy kind, not the "protesting in the streets because the POTUS is a moron" kind. Current arc is by Sejic, one of the industry's best artists. Lots of fun, great focus on Black Manta early on. Solidly consistent.

Super-Sons. Again, this should feel familiar for X-fans (depending on what X-books you read anyway). Robin and Superboy getting into adventures and trouble. Great art. Solid read. Not terribly serious.

Green Arrow. The book's about as subtle as a sledge hammer to the face. But its fun anyway and it's big on social issues.

Supergirl. A teenaged alien working with a shady government organization and dealing with some family drama crazy enough to make Magneto look like a good father.

Detective Comics. Batman and many of his partners from around Gotham deal with some crazy threats to their city. Damn fine book.

Mister Miracle. Only two issues are out from this twelve issue series, but if you don't like this....I dunno what to tell you. You're not human, I guess.

Superman. While some arcs get into the kind of big scope, epic adventures you'd expect from Superman, generally this book explores the new family dynamic of Superman and his wife and son. The book's quality has dropped a bit in recent issues but generally is a very strong title many considered among the best of DC's Rebirth launch.

Deathstroke. Hard to describe this one. One part family drama, one part paramilitary covert ops assassinations, one part superheroics. Damn smart book, solid art, and if you want a title that doesn't just do the standard superhero stuff check it out.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Incredible Member

Red Hood and the Outlaws
    Superman
    Action Comics
    Super Sons
    Green Arrow
    Justice League
    Justice League of America
    Detective Comics
    and Wonder Woman.
    Those are all great reads.

Quote Originally Posted by InvincibleDom View Post
    What do people suggest?
    Honestly, what you should try / read is whatever you think might interest you.

I'm not reading most of the "big" titles because, quite frankly, I don't like where DC has taken these books. But then again, I haven't really followed / enjoyed any of the X-Men stuff since the last century, so what I like may not be of any help in making recommendations for you.

Stuff I can suggest that may be worth a shot are:
    Batgirl
    Mother Panic
    (a Young Animal title)
    New Super-Man

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Batman
    Wonder Woman by Rucka.
    Nightwing
    Supergirl
    Deathstroke
    Doom Patrol