Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Default Tom Brevoort On Marvel Legacy (Relevant Spider-Man Bits)

Are the creative teams on these books for the long haul?
    TB: I think that depends on what you mean by the long haul—some of them, such as Dan Slott on Amazing Spider-Man or Jason Aaron on Thor have already been on for a very long haul, and will continue to be. Others will cycle through when the storylines that they’ve set into motion come to their natural conclusion—both Dan and Jason, for example, will one day no longer be writing Amazing Spider-Man and Thor respectively, though that time is still a ways off. This is one of those questions to which every title has a slightly different answer, and even what the fans want varies depending on who you ask: you want your creators to stick around, but not for too long where they begin to get stale, etc.
    Some books are close to hitting major issue milestones - is Marvel already planning big things for those?
    Yes! We’re well aware that we’ll be approaching not only Thor #700 but Iron Man #600 and Captain America #700 and Amazing Spider-Man #800 and so forth, and each creative team has planned accordingly! Lots of big, fun stuff coming up heading to these centennial releases.
    For books that fans might just think is a continuation of the series that came before it - how does Legacy shake those titles up?
    I don’t think those fans are wrong—these storylines ARE all continuations of what has come before them. That’s kind of the whole point: Legacy as a whole is a celebration of the rich, winding tapestry that is the history of the Marvel Universe and all of the heroes therein. The point with Legacy was to find, with each series, some bit of business, some element or aspect of the character that had been either missing or overlooked in recent months and put it back at the forefront. That’s maybe easiest to understand in the case of titles such as Invincible Iron Man, where Tony Stark has been in a healing coma and not a participant for many months. But on a series such as Amazing Spider-Man, for instance, we’ll be seeing Peter Parker returning to a much more traditional status quo. His business and wealth will be a thing of the past and his reputation will have taken a beating, which will bring him back to being the struggling everyman kind of a character that everybody remembers. And so on. Each book is going to be doing its own thing, the thing that best relates back to its history and the history of the Marvel Universe.[
    -Source

10char

Somehow I expect the end date for Slott and Aaron run's are sooner then Brevoort implies.

Although we've said that about the current run numerous, numerous times .

I'm so fucking happy about this that I'm almost tear eyed. Shit, I am tear eyed, ain't I?

Keep writing Amazing Spider-Man up until Amazing Spider-Man #1000, Dan. And when you get there, if you feel like it, DON'T EVER STOP.
    Pull list:

Marvel Comics: X-Men, Marauders, Excalibur, New Mutants, X-Force, Fallen Angels and Immortal Hulk

"Humans of the planet Earth. While you slept, the world changed." -Professor X

So this is like The Simpsons and South Park where we are well past the sell by date but it's just going to keep chugging along, huh?

Amazing Member

I'd argue that the Slott era has had more highs than lows, but I'd also argue that its time for someone else to take the reins. Who that is, however, is up for debate.

Quote Originally Posted by nx74205 View Post
    I'd argue that the Slott era has had more highs than lows, but I'd also argue that its time for someone else to take the reins. Who that is, however, is up for debate.
    Okay, okay: I'll do it.

-Pav, who can probably find the time...
    You were Spider-Man then. You and Peter had agreed on it. But he came back right when you started feeling comfortable.
    You know what it means when he comes back

"You're not the better one, Peter. You're just older."
    --------------------
    Closet full of comics? Consider donating to my school! DM for details

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by nx74205 View Post
    I agree with this. He has done some fantastic work on the book. However it really is time for a new voice. Amazing hasn't been terrible per se. Yet there is a sense that the title has been spinning its wheels. It has been for awhile.

It shouldn't be "they'll continue to write the title for as long as they like," because that writer may not recognize when it is time to go. Snyder was doing gangbusters on the main Batman title. Heck, he could have stayed there. However he stepped away when Rebirth started.

Amazing needs a fresh pair of eyes and a new voice. One that comes with new ideas. Not sure who it could be, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Somecrazyaussie View Post
    Amazing needs a fresh pair of eyes and a new voice. One that comes with new ideas. Not sure who it could be, though.

-Pav, who learned humor is found in repetition...
    You were Spider-Man then. You and Peter had agreed on it. But he came back right when you started feeling comfortable.
    You know what it means when he comes back

"You're not the better one, Peter. You're just older."
    --------------------
    Closet full of comics? Consider donating to my school! DM for details

I agree with this. He has done some fantastic work on the book. However it really is time for a new voice. Amazing hasn't been terrible per se. Yet there is a sense that the title has been spinning its wheels. It has been for awhile.

It shouldn't be "they'll continue to write the title for as long as they like," because that writer may not recognize when it is time to go. Snyder was doing gangbusters on the main Batman title. Heck, he could have stayed there. However he stepped away when Rebirth started.

Departures tend to happen when the writer chooses to go. In some cases, it's due to an argument with editorial (IE- Chris Claremont leaving the X-Men and Peter David leaving the Hulk after they expressed their displeasure with a back to basics approach that undid much of the progress in their runs.)

If Slott doesn't want to go, and if he's accommodating to editorial changes, that leaves all involved in a bad position, especially right now, when the book is doing better than any other Marvel Universe ongoing.

It is possible that a new writer will get better results than Slott, but you won't know in advance who it's going to be. Maybe you'll get the equivalent of Mark Waid on Daredevil. Maybe it'll be the equivalent of his Hulk.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    -Source

10char
    UGH!

I wish Dan Slott will leave soon.

As long as he is writing Amazing Spider-Man, Mary Jane will stay out of the Spider-Man comics.
    I created a thread about Dick Grayson/Nightwing and Koriand'r/Starfire. It is to acknowledge and honor their iconic and popular relationship.

I created a fan page about Peter Parker/Spider-Man and Mary Jane Watson. This page is for all the Spider-Marriage fans.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Pav View Post

-Pav, who learned humor is found in repetition...
    Alas marvel already gave me a contract but you could buy it from me for 10 dollars and I will step aside for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Pav View Post

-Pav, who can probably find the time...
    Okay, elevator pitch, please.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    Departures tend to happen when the writer chooses to go. In some cases, it's due to an argument with editorial (IE- Chris Claremont leaving the X-Men and Peter David leaving the Hulk after they expressed their displeasure with a back to basics approach that undid much of the progress in their runs.)

If Slott doesn't want to go, and if he's accommodating to editorial changes, that leaves all involved in a bad position, especially right now, when the book is doing better than any other Marvel Universe ongoing.

It is possible that a new writer will get better results than Slott, but you won't know in advance who it's going to be. Maybe you'll get the equivalent of Mark Waid on Daredevil. Maybe it'll be the equivalent of his Hulk.
    The best time to walk is when you are at your peak. You want to go out leaving the audience wanting more, not less. I'll admit I've enjoyed a vast majority of the stuff Slott has done. Big Time was awesome (the only downside being the Alpha storyline), and despite the premise, Superior was excellent from beginning till end. Ever since Peter came back though, the quality has noticeably slipped for me. Spider-verse was a bloated mess. Clone Conspiracy...well, I won't hold that against him because not even Wordsworth could make it work. Although I will agree he knocked RYV out of the park.

I think the only storyline I found enjoyable in Amazing recently was The Osborn Identity. Parker Industries was a great concept. Sadly it wasn't utilized to the extent it could have been.

I'm sticking around to see what he does with The Fall of Parker. Maybe the shift to a more familiar status quo might rejuvenate him. If it doesn't, then I feel I might have to step away until a new voice comes along. No slight against him, but there is only so much a writer can do with a given character. If you enjoy it, kudos to you. But I inevitably look forward to the posts on here in 5 years time (If he is still writing it) where people will go, "jeez, he really should have left at point X etc"

An added note: The situation with Claremont in 91 could have been handled differently. However his subsequent work with the X-Men after this point proves it was a wise decision. The guy had done everything he could conceivably do with the franchise. Plus we have to remember that Claremont had strong editors to rein in his excesses. I think Wacker did the same for Slott (which is why his best stuff was under Wacker.)

An added note: The situation with Claremont in 91 could have been handled differently. However his subsequent work with the X-Men after this point proves it was a wise decision. The guy had done everything he could conceivably do with the franchise. Plus we have to remember that Claremont had strong editors to rein in his excesses. I think Wacker did the same for Slott (which is why his best stuff was under Wacker.)
    When was the Wacker era of Slott's run?

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    When was the Wacker era of Slott's run?
    Big Time to... just before the end of Superior.