Default WHat do MARVEL fans think of DC New Age of Heroes ?

It's something I've been toying with for quite some time now, but I wanted to wait for at least some series to end their first arc (namely Damage and The Silencer) before posting anything her. As the title imply, the main question is what do people who love the Marvel line of comics (no matter how much, or how many titles, just peoples who like it, really) feel anf think about the NAoH at D.C.. I'm asking because a lot of those characters/teams are indeed derivative from Marvel's hits 'The Hulk, FF, Ghost Rider, Spider-Man and The Punisher, more or less, for the series out so far).

Do you think that D.C. is doing a decent job with those archetypes ? Are they managing to differenciate their characters enough from the ones at the House of Ideas or are they too rip-offey for your taste ? Or perhaps, you just have no time for those titles or even feel that those don't work in the DCU ? Please, leave a comment, since I'm primarily a D.C. reader (with some Marvel titles, like Mighty Thor, Ms. Marvel, the Hulks titles currently out, mainly), the vision from fans more invested with Marvel about those titles would be invaluable !

I thought it was kinda funny how they did all these Marvel pastiches. I'm guessing based on the characters (haven't read the preview) that The Immortal Men is going to be an X-Men facsimile.
    I like the books well enough so far. A bit too early to really judge.
    I do think calling them spin-offs from Dark Nights Metal is a bit much. It's not like these characters actually had any role in that story. They just appeared in a single image at the end of the last issue. A bit of a useless framing device, but whatever.
    #EmmaWasRight

Damage is straight up a rip-off of the Hulk family. He's a soldier like Weapon H, has a one hour limit like Red Hulk from U.S.Avengers, and is on the run from the military like Banner Hulk originally was.

Sideways is essentially Spidey with America Chavez's powers.

Terrifics is an ersatz Fantastic Four, though at least three of the characters were pre-established and the last is an ancestor of a member of the futuristic Legion of Super-Heroes, and it's actually a decent story so far.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

BANNED

I don't follow the books but i hope it turns out good. It seems like DC's answer to Squadron Supreme with minority characters spin. Not a bad idea.

Astonishing Member

There's some clear "inspiration " from some marvel books

But that aside I've bought them all and enjoyed them all so far

In that sense it's a good job if not really original

I've especially liked silencer and the terrifics

Invincible Member

I like Teriffics and Silencer so far. I haven't read Brimstone, Damage or Sideways.

I'm curious about what The Unexpected will be like.

Silencer and Terrifics are both pretty good, I'll probably picked up Curse of Brimstone in trades eventually. The only one that doesn't really look that good is Damage, too derivative and has already fallen into the "guest starring" phase.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    It's something I've been toying with for quite some time now, but I wanted to wait for at least some series to end their first arc (namely Damage and The Silencer) before posting anything her. As the title imply, the main question is what do people who love the Marvel line of comics (no matter how much, or how many titles, just peoples who like it, really) feel anf think about the NAoH at D.C.. I'm asking because a lot of those characters/teams are indeed derivative from Marvel's hits 'The Hulk, FF, Ghost Rider, Spider-Man and The Punisher, more or less, for the series out so far).

Do you think that D.C. is doing a decent job with those archetypes ? Are they managing to differenciate their characters enough from the ones at the House of Ideas or are they too rip-offey for your taste ? Or perhaps, you just have no time for those titles or even feel that those don't work in the DCU ? Please, leave a comment, since I'm primarily a D.C. reader (with some Marvel titles, like Mighty Thor, Ms. Marvel, the Hulks titles currently out, mainly), the vision from fans more invested with Marvel about those titles would be invaluable !
    I don't mind that they're essentially rip-offs of Marvel heroes - sometimes rip-offs can be fun! My lack of interest comes more from the fact that this line was touted as being artist-driven but the artists that began these titles, I believe, all left either before the end of the first arc or just after. The delays certainly didn't help either.

But delays or no, had it been clear that people like Tony Daniels and Romita Jr. were going to stick around for the long haul and really put their mark on these characters, I would've tried to give these more of a look.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Panfoot View Post
    Silencer and Terrifics are both pretty good, I'll probably picked up Curse of Brimstone in trades eventually. The only one that doesn't really look that good is Damage, too derivative and has already fallen into the "guest starring" phase.

I have found it the weakest myself but I've still liked it

I've been liking it so far. Especially Terrifics and Silencer, both have been really amazing. In my opinion the weakest book of the line is Sideways, but the art is good there.

Mighty Member

Many do feel derivative, not just of marvel, but of other DC properties that are derivative of marvel, like OMAC. In truth, I had much more interest with the new books that stemmed from nu52 like OMAC and Dial H. None of the titles here really appeal to me, but I'm ok with that. There are some new books/characters announced on DC's Milestone slate that have my interest, whenever they pull the trigger on that.

It's an attempt at create new characters which i applaud but most of them are unappealing to me right now.

The Terrifics is cool.

Thanks for all the answers ! I find it interesting to see that in comics, rip-offs are actually more accepted than anywhere else in cultural industries

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    The Terrifics is cool.
    Hell yeah. Mr. Terrific is one of my all time favorite characters and to see himshine puts a smile on my face. 2 issues in and I'm enjoying the hell out of it.
    "We live in a world of cowards. We live in a world full of small minds who are afraid. We are ruled by those who refuse to risk anything of their own. Who guard their over bloated paucities of power with money. With false reasoning. With measured hesitance. With prideful, recalcitrant inaction. With hateful invective. With weapons. F@#K these selfish fools and their prevailing world order." Tony Stark