Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Default A Question For New 52 Superman Fans...

For those that became Superman fans through the New 52 version, how do you all feel about the current status quo? Do you feel cheated by DC or are you okay with and managed to enjoy the new Reborn Superman?

I don't really feel cheated, I've simply lost interest in Superman. It's not even that he is now married to Lois (which is barely a character instead of a function for me, even if Rebirth did some work here) that bothers me, being a fan of the Sm/WW couple. it's more the whole return to the statu quo ante (that I never cared about) no matter what which disappoint me : Superman is tame again, without asperities (and actually need his biological daddy to be evil, somewhat, to have some tension), Lex Luthor will return to villainy, and thus return to being unidimensional and boring. Even Jon is rather boring to me.

Overall, I'm disappointed with the lack of risks D.C. wishes to take, evil Jor-El being the only one, and even then a relatively small one. There is also reasons outside of comics that makes me dislike it, primarily the fact that D.C. is still often milking a coupling they have discarded as non canon in merchandising, which I find hypocritical, and the purge that was Rucka's run on Wonder Woman, which has severely impacted the Superman's line.

BANNED

When I got into comics Wally West was my Flash, and Kyle Rayner was my Green Lantern.
    But they weren't just my Flash and Lantern, they were THE Flash and Lantern. Until 10years later theysuddenly weren't.

So while I loved New 52 Superman, and found him massively superior as a character to what the original superman had become over the decades, I never got suckered into accepting anything New 52 as even remotely the real characters. It was always going to revert somehow. Especially Superman.

This of course makes it difficult or impossible for me to get emotionally invested or even like anything DC does.

I liked New 52 Superman, especially Morrison's verion, and I don't see myself buying or even reading for free whatever they have going on now.

BANNED

I didn't start with the New 52 version, but I did prefer him, especially under Morrison, and Pak/Kuder. For the most past, the character was freed from the constraints of past continuity, so a lot of it was about the potential the character had.

As far as the current status quo goes, I loathe it. While there were things I really didn't like when it came to the state of New 52 Superman, like the Superman/Wonder Woman romance or his strained relationship with Supergirl, those didn't feel permanent. They were bad directions that would eventually pass.

That's not the case with the current status quo.

While I'm greatly disappointed and feel DC has squandered the potential that came with New 52 Superman for the banal current set-up, I don't feel cheated. It's frustrating, but whether it was New 52 Superman or Post-Crisis Superman, DC was eventually going to have the character head in the current direction.

I enjoy stories with Rebirth/Reborn Superman occasionally, like I did with other versions of the character. I'm settling into not expecting anything truly revolutionary or forward-thinking with the character.

Astonishing Member

I was a Superman fan before N52 but started reading the comics with Earth One and N52. Always felt N52 was temporary/transitioning to what I knew of the character so I wasn't bummed Rebirth/Reborn happened. I was expecting it all along.

I guess you could say I became a Superman fan through the reboot, or at least that's when I really got into the character. Saw it as a good jumping on point. Also where I got into Batman. Both took different approaches to the reboot, both served as jumping on points. Bats maintained his history, while Supes tossed it out the window. Stuff like Knightfall, RIP, The Killing Joke still mattered I could go back, read those and know they inform continuity in the present stuff. For me, that's part of the appeal of serialized comic storytelling, not the only part, but a big part. When it came to Superman, I could go back and read older stories, but they didn't matter to the present stuff. So while I was invested in N52 Superman and I liked N52 Clark himself, I found myself wishing he got the same kind of reboot Bats did. And Reborn basically did exactly that, and without completely erasing everything N52 did, so yeah personally glad things turned out the way they did. Not to say Rebirth is perfect, Superman's gone downhill, some tropes are getting repetitive, and the more I think of the Oz, the more I hate it. Either gonna cop-out or it'll be shock value that'll be quickly retconned.
    As far as character of Superman goes, I really think people exaggerate the differences. Basically they have different personal lives and that informs his behaviors, but besides that, they aren't all that different to me. I don't really come across many scenes where I think, "hey if the other guy was in this situation there's no way he'd do the stuff, this guy is doing"

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

I'm not sure if I qualify for your question because, while I loved a lot about the New 52 Superman, there was a lot I did not like. I liked Morrison, Johns and Pak's stuff, I did not care for the rest. That said, I also liked a lot of the Pre-Flashpoint Superman stuff, I also really disliked a lot of it.

BANNED

About the only disappointing aspect of Rebirth so far is how much they've actually diminished Clark and Diana's friendship. The only real interactions they've had on a personal level were for Diana to basically say "you loved Lois all along" and that was it. We've seen nothing of her bonding with Jon and anything with Clark just feels flat and robotic. While I absolutely loath the S/WW romance, and am am glad it's over with, I do miss the deep bond the two had that was more apparent in pre-flashpoint.

I was a massive fan of New 52 Superman and it was different and easy to pick up. It is just not the same but I'm not going to blame fans for liking what they like. It's good that they have a Superman they like.

Thanks for the great responses everyone.

After Superman Reborn and the next saga with flashbacks about his new past...Not before, because I hated everything, but less than Rucka WW..

Now... OK.. No problem.. I am reading Action Comics, Even if I like Gleason, the family dynamic here are not for me, Superman only for special chapters...

I was only interested in the SuperxWond because I was new in the comics and was something different, 2 of the 3 biggest DC heroes together?...

Since the begin of rebirth after learn about Rucka work(all azzarello work destroyed) I saw that return with Superman was more easy for me than with Wonderwoman..... I always saw Supes with Lois in my childhood, see both married is not a problem, even if I prefer him single, without more responsibilities than planet earth...

My only problem is the kid..
    Last edited by adrikito; 09-28-2017 at 06:42 AM.

[QUOTE=
    My only problem is the kid..[/QUOTE]

I can't stand the kid

Quote Originally Posted by W8IN4KAL-EL View Post
    I can't stand the kid
    And put him with Robin only made this worse... Because I like Robin.. However, I liked this other kid of Justice League Beyond..

justice league beyond Zod (kid).jpg

Maybe, only for his sad past..

BANNED

This is like the tenth time I've said this, but despite disliking Jon on a conceptual level, he's been my favorite thing about the main Superman book since Rebirth began. His interactions with the family and Damian have been the highlight of the book. At least till we got to Black Dawn.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by adrikito View Post
    And put him with Robin only made this worse... Because I like Robin.. However, I liked this other kid of Justice League Beyond.
    Gee I wonder why...

Jon is awesome.